New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #6,347 of 9,484

I had a rough time getting the USB installed on my laptop. Had to try it a few time and after a few retries it finally started working. It would get to the final stage and tell there was an "unknown error". Finally just ditch everything off the computer (Schiit drivers and downloaded files), re-downloaded the file from the Schiit site, ran the set-up and it worked.
This weekend I will experiment a little and then try it on one of my desktops and with newer USB and see what happens.

Did you have old Schiit USB drivers installed on your laptop?

This is from the website:
Notes on Gen 3 drivers:
1. The drivers are only for Windows. No drivers are required for Mac sources, or for Linux sources compliant with USB Class 2 Audio. 
2. Installation of the Gen 3 Drivers requires removal of Schiit's USB Gen 2 drivers.
2. The Gen 3 drivers will work for both Gen 2 and Gen 3 USB inputs.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #6,348 of 9,484
Girlfriends work in misterious ways ... apparently logic too. I'm more of a practical man. In my simple world you cannot say that it sounds worse after being disconnected .. not before you actually disconnect it! Preferably more than once.

And btw, bought a new carpet last weekend, installed it and it got so much better since ... the colours are getting more vivid everyday and they blend more and more into the room ... it also ties everything else in the room in an almost liquid manner that gets smoother and smoother every hour ... especially in the morning with halfopen eyes, the colour blend is already hypnotic after 3 days .. cant even imagine how it'll look without it or how I lived so many years without it ... and my gf not only sees it too, she's exponentially more grateful and happy every morning.
And the best part: it only cost about $400 and you never need to plug it in.

Awesome! Have you had a double blind viewing of the new carpet? I've heard you need to walk on it for 100-200 hours for it to be it's best! :wink:

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #6,349 of 9,484
Awesome! Have you had a double blind viewing of the new carpet? I've heard you need to walk on it for 100-200 hours for it to be it's best! :wink:

I tried burning in my carpet and my neighbors called the fire department. carpet performance strongly decreased after burn-in :frowning2: actually a bit wet and soggy right now. going to wait for it to warm back up before testing again.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #6,351 of 9,484
  I tried burning in my carpet and my neighbors called the fire department. carpet performance strongly decreased after burn-in :frowning2: actually a bit wet and soggy right now. going to wait for it to warm back up before testing again.

Haha! This helps ease the pain of waiting for my own personal Ragnarok (Depeche Mode)  to be built. I foresee a time I'll be looking at 2nd or 3rd batch Yggy's…. :)

I just got a pair of Novib socket savers-now I'm warming up the tubes and my Lyr. Something about the MosFets perhaps, makes it SOUND better once it's warm. At LEAST an hour. 
Luckily I can use the time to break in my carpet while pacing impatiently… :)

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #6,352 of 9,484
My Yggdrasil has arrived and joined its friends. I had no patience and of course listened to it after just a few minutes of warmup. It sounded pretty good! I'm prone to confirmation bias on this, but one of the things I'd been curious about for a while was based on a comment several misogynistic pages ago ... about the ability of the DAC to render pleasant details that could seem harsh in the past. Anyway, acknowledging that risk aside, here goes the story:

Since my first time auditioning a piece of gear (my first set of speakers, if it matters), I've always run through Kind of Blue. Have listened to the album critically more than any other and it makes for quick and easy comparisons. Flamenco Sketches and the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches always bug me a bit because the sax and trumpet inevitably feel a bit harsh (to me) after the rest of the album. Couple of hours into the Yggdrasil running I ran through the tracks and would say instead of harshness I heard texture. Sort of hard to explain, but that's the best I can come up with. Was not listening particularly critically and, as aforementioned, I of course want it to sound good because I bought it and all that jazz.

Otherwise? Not much to add at this point. It's good. Definitely punches hard in, if not above, its weight class. Let's see ... weighs less than Ragnarok and less lopsided in the weight distribution (but still not particularly uniform). Runs cooler than Ragnarok; would say "room temperature to the touch" rather than warm or cool. Same ugh bright white LEDs, but that wasn't a real surprise. I don't care about remotes and power switch placement but LED dimming/defeat would be peachy.

I haven't run into any dumb UI or industrial design quirks like the Ragnarok's output selection / [lack] of indication. Granted, "it's just a DAC" but I still take joy in "it just works" and "only the X you need, none of the Y you don't." Familiar not just with the quirks, but also how slow Ragnarok's buttons do things, it's refreshing how surprisingly zippy the DAC is to change inputs. Realize it's apples and oranges, but Yggdrasil just feels like a far more polished product than Ragnarok despite the similar chassis when looking in terms of UI/UX/design. It's still brushed aluminum instead of black, but you knew that already.

Bass is punchy. Even at low volumes. Not boomy, though, doesn't seem emphasized ... just more present. Weird. Pleasant. Musical. Vocals sound good. It's good! "We'll see how it goes in the coming days" but I probably won't get around to it.

Not about to make any grand proclamations or rankings, but I'd be hard pressed to say that I find any other DAC I own immediately preferable in any way.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #6,353 of 9,484
@atubbs, for the purposes of conquering and successfully defeating the LED, you will find a suitable weapon here: http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm

may the goddess of fate be with you on your noble quest!

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #6,355 of 9,484
  My Yggdrasil has arrived and joined its friends.
snip

Same ugh bright white LEDs, but that wasn't a real surprise. I don't care about remotes and power switch placement but LED dimming/defeat would be peachy.

An easy way to turn the brightness down (but not off) is to use a sharpie and 'paint' the flat end of the LED(s).

It drops the brightness by ≈60%, and since the end is now dark the light doesn't shine directly into the room (like a flashlight), but instead is diffused as it only comes out from the sides of the leds.

Good eyesight and or a magnifying glass helps a bunch. 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #6,356 of 9,484

Always do a DBS(itting)T with my rugs ... both a*s and feet :D

Joking aside, the rug purchase was real and prolly the best that could happen to my hifi budget.  Prolly sounds kinda funny but I guess a lot of ppl here have some difficulties agreeing on the hifi purchases with their SOs.  It looks like many have adopted a dangerous strategy: just open and install the component when the SO is not around and hope she does not notice.  Apart from being unfair, I think that longterm it's the worst idea ever.  Remember, your name is not Mr.Holmes and she's gonna find out sooner or later ... that could be a bitter taste of hell for you :).
How about you ask her what she wishes sometimes and go choose & buy it together !?  It may not be the most pleasant activity for many but you wont believe how much that will help your hifi-budget :wink:.  And some advanced tips: compliment her new rug or whatever, same as you would your friend's new Audeze and congratulate her for the great idea to buy it.  Satisfaction guaranteed ... for everyone involved :D

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,358 of 9,484
Did you have old Schiit USB drivers installed on your laptop?

[COLOR=8F8F8F][COLOR=000000]This is from the website:[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=8F8F8F][COLOR=000000]Notes on Gen 3 drivers[/COLOR][COLOR=E2E2E2]:[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=8F8F8F][COLOR=000000]1. The drivers are only for Windows. No drivers are required for Mac sources, or for Linux sources compliant with USB Class 2 Audio. 
2. Installation of the Gen 3 Drivers requires removal of Schiit's USB Gen 2 drivers.

2. The Gen 3 drivers will work for both Gen 2 and Gen 3 USB inputs.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Yep, did all that. Like I said it was probably the mediocre USB on my laptop that was causing it. We'll see this weekend when I try it out on my other computers.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #6,359 of 9,484
So who else is anticipating today's Yggy batch?

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #6,360 of 9,484

Always do a DBS(itting)T with my rugs ... both a*s and feet :D

Joking aside, the rug purchase was real and prolly the best that could happen to my hifi budget.  Prolly sounds kinda funny but I guess a lot of ppl here have some difficulties agreeing on the hifi purchases with their SOs.  It looks like many have adopted a dangerous strategy: just open and install the component when the SO is not around and hope she does not notice.  Apart from being unfair, I think that longterm it's the worst idea ever.  Remember, your name is not Mr.Holmes and she's gonna find out sooner or later ... that could be a bitter taste of hell for you :).
How about you ask her what she wishes sometimes and go choose & buy it together !?  It may not be the most pleasant activity for many but you wont believe how much that will help your hifi-budget :wink:.  And some advanced tips: compliment her new rug or whatever, same as you would your friend's new Audeze and congratulate her for the great idea to buy it.  Satisfaction guaranteed ... for everyone involved :D

you're going to get kicked out of here with crazy talk like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back