New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,256 of 9,484

This seems to be the reason Audio-Gd do it

'The unit applied analog input short design :
Nowdays a lot high and middle range preamps, headphone amps and integrated amps had applied the input short design .
Without the input short design , if the amp connect to multi-ply sources and all source had playing , different sources will had the signal crossing cause the sound quality degrade .
For example, the input 1 connect to a DAC and the input 2 connect to a CDP, while both had playing, the CDP signal will crossing to the input 1 , mix with the DAC signal cause the sound degrade.
In world there are more than 99% DACs and the sources had allow the outputs short , if your DAC decalre can't short the output , please read the "Use Manual" page , pull off the jumpers for discontinue the analog input short design , but in the case , while you connect multi-ply sources, you are better only let one power on and others power off for avoid the signal crossing .
'

Have to check whether my Master-6 shorts input for future reference.

Someone needs to translate that back into Mandarin and then into an understandable English.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #6,257 of 9,484
  Someone needs to translate that back into Mandarin and then into an understandable English.

Syntax is not great but I understand it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #6,258 of 9,484
It's fine once you learn to speak Chinglish

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,259 of 9,484

Long story short... when you select Input 1 you won't hear Input 2.  Kind of a non issue because you generally don't run two sources at once but you can test it easy enough on your current (pre)amp by plugging your DAC into one input and selecting the other and seeing if you can hear it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,260 of 9,484

Long story short... when you select Input 1 you won't hear Input 2.  Kind of a non issue because you generally don't run two sources at once but you can test it easy enough on your current (pre)amp by plugging your DAC into one input and selecting the other and seeing if you can hear it.

Yes I plan on doing that tonight with my Master-6, although I have sent an e-mail to Audio-gd so will probably hear back by then.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,261 of 9,484
  Hemi,,

I have the KGST as well,but due to small desktop space,,I will be putting the Yiggy on the bottom
Is this advisable??
Right now,I have the KGST ontop of my Theta

I think placing the Yggy under the amp is the right thing to do.  I am assuming that the cabinet the Yggy comes in is stout and can accept the weight of the KGST which is not insubstantial.  Since I do not currently own Schiit, I do not know how thick the top of the Yggy is...no point of reference.  That would be my only concern.  The temps from the amp will rise and I doubt much heat is coming from under it.  Please note that my KGST had A LOT of add'l heat dissipation designed into it by headinclouds.  Not sure if yours is the same.

HS

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,262 of 9,484
  I went the decidedly low tech, meat thermometer route with my Ragnarok and found that very small differences in placement and clearances made a large difference in temperature. My Rag needs 2" on both sides to breathe. Shoving the Rag against the cabinet to the right, so that I could reach the power switch was a (10º) bad idea.

I'm fortunate in that directly over the four tubes in my KGST, it is no more than say 90-95 degrees F...I can comfortably lay my hand right over the cabinet over the tubes.  I live in Souteast TX, although we keep the room at a relatively cool temp 74-78 degrees with the blessed gift of air-con  
biggrin.gif

HS

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #6,263 of 9,484
I think I prefer the USB input of the Yggy (post 24 hours burn-in) to the Audiophilleo, which USB input I think is also superior to my MSB Analog's. On the latter DAC I had to use the SPDIF converter as it was clearly superior. I don't feel that way with the Yggy.

I am very interested in hearing what you think of the Yggy in comparison to the MSB Analog DAC. I have been eyeing the MSB Analog for some time, and since I also listen with Senn HD 800s and Stax 009s, I'm anxious to hear your opinion.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #6,264 of 9,484
Thanks Hemi,..

Not sure how much the KGST weighs,Geoffrey never put it in the contract manual,I'll weigh it later,on my regular scale,& post back,if you need it,that is???
You wouldn't to have an current e-mail address---would you??

Tnx,
Mike

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #6,265 of 9,484

I think placing the Yggy under the amp is the right thing to do.  I am assuming that the cabinet the Yggy comes in is stout and can accept the weight of the KGST which is not insubstantial.  Since I do not currently own Schiit, I do not know how thick the top of the Yggy is...no point of reference.  That would be my only concern.  The temps from the amp will rise and I doubt much heat is coming from under it.  Please note that my KGST had A LOT of add'l heat dissipation designed into it by headinclouds.  Not sure if yours is the same.

HS

Yes,all schiit products are built like tanks,I'm not worried about that--even my Vali/Modi are well built & strong.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #6,266 of 9,484
  Thanks Hemi,..

Not sure how much the KGST weighs,Geoffrey never put it in the contract manual,I'll weigh it later,on my regular scale,& post back,if you need it,that is???
You wouldn't to have an current e-mail address---would you??

Tnx,
Mike

I'd venture a guess of about 15lbs, Mike.  I don't need the weight, but thank you.  

I'll pm you my email.

Cheers,
Sam

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #6,267 of 9,484
Bolos,
You need to leave it on for a minimum of 48 hours....,for optimum results...1 week.
Then,you need to leave it on--FOREVER
This has been stated dozens of times ,on this thread & others

Use it in Good Health,& congradulations

Mike

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #6,268 of 9,484
  Quick update:

the Yggy has been running for almost 24 hours yet. Overall I am very happy, it's a beautiful object and the sound is fantastic even tho I have to admit myself that it doesn't show any improvement over the Modi2Uber with my equipment (Rag -> HD800 (balanced) and LS50).

I hope I'll see the kind of improvement others mentioned. How long to the twilight zone ? :)

You're running balanced output from the Yggy to the Rag and not hearing any difference vs. Modi2Uber via SE or USB??

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #6,269 of 9,484
  Yep, frankly,
  Yggy (XLR) -> Rag
or
 Modi2U (RCA) -> Rag

Sound exactly the same to me, but again, Yggy has only been up for 24 hours 

As much as I like to reiterate price does not equal quality, this is sort of concerning. Then again everyone's ears are different. If I were you and this doesn't change I'd definitely return it LOL. Still can't wait to make my own opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back