New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #6,241 of 9,484
Not too worried about temperatures.  The Yggy will happily operate at higher ambient temps than you can tolerate.  The AD5791 DAC chip is rated -40C to +125C operational temperature.

Plus at 40W power consumption the Yggy will consume 1 KW-hr of energy per day.  That is pretty cheap entertainment considering how much I listen to music.

I am still waiting for xx866 to ship.  I pray to the circuit board gods that the yields on the first batch of Yggys are high.  Godspeed to the manufacturing crew at Schiit.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #6,242 of 9,484

Considering what some people spend for high end cables and fancy tweeks to try and squeeze that extra .0005% of performance out of a component, the extra $$ spent on electricity for keeping the Yggy on all the time is a small price to pay if it does actually make a noticeable improvement.

You missed my point, cc.  I was referring to the person that was bitching about posters sharing early impressions of their Yggy's, not the power argument that's ensuing.  The "shut down" was in reference to comments...just look a few posts above mine and you'll better understand.

Given that the Yggy seems to run relatively cool, my only interest is can I place my KGST tube amp above it and how much space between the two do I need?  I'll figure that out once mine arrives...months from now...LMAO, but I think the standard feet on my KGST should provide sufficient spacing.  The concerns over temp are going the way of spider farts around here...over blown.

biggrin.gif

HS

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #6,243 of 9,484

You missed my point, cc.  I was referring to the person that was bitching about posters sharing early impressions of their Yggy's, not the power argument that's ensuing.  The "shut down" was in reference to comments...just look a few posts above mine and you'll better understand.

Given that the Yggy seems to run relatively cool, my only interest is can I place my KGST tube amp above it and how much space between the two do I need?  I'll figure that out once mine arrives...months from now...LMAO, but I think the standard feet on my KGST should provide sufficient spacing.  The concerns over temp are going the way of spider farts around here...over blown.

biggrin.gif

HS

I'm sure that Schiit would be happy to answer your question.  drop them an email and let us know what you find out! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,247 of 9,484
for people worried about temperature & looking for a desktop stacking option, there is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7S1CYI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

should hold up to 35lb, so you can put either the yggy (25lb) or raggy (32lb) on top. stated there is a 4.5" height (though may be a little bit less), so should have enough clearance for either the raggy or yggy on the bottom (as they clock in at a <3.9" height).

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #6,248 of 9,484
  I'm sure that Schiit would be happy to answer your question.  drop them an email and let us know what you find out! 
biggrin.gif

I'm simply going to fire up my laser temp gun (I use it for my race car) once I have the KGST well warmed up and the Yggy in hand.  I'll take the temp of the KGST from below and if it's anywhere near as cool as I expect (the top is ridiculously cool for the size of electrostat tube amp it is and the voltage it swings thanks to the great design by headinclouds out of the UK that built it for me), then I'll simply place it on top of the Yggy.  I'll then take the temp of the Yggy before and after...the delta I suspect will be tiny.  If it's bothersome, I'll simply get some rubber feet/isolators to inclrease the space between the two and viola...  I'm a bit space limited as I like to listen in my recliner...like a proper old fart.

biggrin.gif

HS

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #6,249 of 9,484

Looks like it should be okay, I can't imagine why a company would think it was a good idea to short the inputs when powered off.

This seems to be the reason Audio-Gd do it

'The unit applied analog input short design :
Nowdays a lot high and middle range preamps, headphone amps and integrated amps had applied the input short design .
Without the input short design , if the amp connect to multi-ply sources and all source had playing , different sources will had the signal crossing cause the sound quality degrade .
For example, the input 1 connect to a DAC and the input 2 connect to a CDP, while both had playing, the CDP signal will crossing to the input 1 , mix with the DAC signal cause the sound degrade.
In world there are more than 99% DACs and the sources had allow the outputs short , if your DAC decalre can't short the output , please read the "Use Manual" page , pull off the jumpers for discontinue the analog input short design , but in the case , while you connect multi-ply sources, you are better only let one power on and others power off for avoid the signal crossing .
'

Have to check whether my Master-6 shorts input for future reference.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #6,251 of 9,484

I'm simply going to fire up my laser temp gun (I use it for my race car) once I have the KGST well warmed up and the Yggy in hand.  I'll take the temp of the KGST from below and if it's anywhere near as cool as I expect (the top is ridiculously cool for the size of electrostat tube amp it is and the voltage it swings thanks to the great design by headinclouds out of the UK that built it for me), then I'll simply place it on top of the Yggy.  I'll then take the temp of the Yggy before and after...the delta I suspect will be tiny.  If it's bothersome, I'll simply get some rubber feet/isolators to inclrease the space between the two and viola...  I'm a bit space limited as I like to listen in my recliner...like a proper old fart.

biggrin.gif

HS

Hemi,,

I have the KGST as well,but due to small desktop space,,I will be putting the Yiggy on the bottom
Is this advisable??
Right now,I have the KGST ontop of my Theta

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #6,252 of 9,484

I went the decidedly low tech, meat thermometer route with my Ragnarok and found that very small differences in placement and clearances made a large difference in temperature. My Rag needs 2" on both sides to breathe. Shoving the Rag against the cabinet to the right, so that I could reach the power switch was a (10º) bad idea.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,253 of 9,484

This seems to be the reason Audio-Gd do it

'The unit applied analog input short design :
Nowdays a lot high and middle range preamps, headphone amps and integrated amps had applied the input short design .
Without the input short design , if the amp connect to multi-ply sources and all source had playing , different sources will had the signal crossing cause the sound quality degrade .
For example, the input 1 connect to a DAC and the input 2 connect to a CDP, while both had playing, the CDP signal will crossing to the input 1 , mix with the DAC signal cause the sound degrade.
In world there are more than 99% DACs and the sources had allow the outputs short , if your DAC decalre can't short the output , please read the "Use Manual" page , pull off the jumpers for discontinue the analog input short design , but in the case , while you connect multi-ply sources, you are better only let one power on and others power off for avoid the signal crossing .
'

Have to check whether my Master-6 shorts input for future reference.

There are other ways to do this without input shorting. "pull off the jumpers for discontinue the analog input short design" - what jumper - where did you read this ? :D

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #6,254 of 9,484
  There are other ways to do this without input shorting. "pull off the jumpers for discontinue the analog input short design" - what jumper - where did you read this ? :D

Taken straight from the Audio-gd/master-9 web page.

edit; noticed that there seems to be another version of the text where the 'pull off the jumpers' line is replaced by custom order information.
I must of viewed an old Master-9 page.
redface.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #6,255 of 9,484
  for people worried about temperature & looking for a desktop stacking option, there is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7S1CYI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

should hold up to 35lb, so you can put either the yggy (25lb) or raggy (32lb) on top. stated there is a 4.5" height (though may be a little bit less), so should have enough clearance for either the raggy or yggy on the bottom (as they clock in at a <3.9" height).

The depth listed for that stand is 10.5" (From the description: The spacious surface of 23.5 inches x 10.25) .

The yggy has a depth of 12" so I'm not sure it would fit on top. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back