New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,701 of 9,484
I do not know if this has been asked previously……if so, please forgive the redundancy….
…This USB Gen 3 module……. (when) can I get one for my Gungnir?

I have owned & thoroughly enjoyed my Gungnir, one of the first ones to be shipped, for some time.
It gives my buddy’s NAD M51 a good run for its money (the M51 has just the slightest bit more weight, definition & musicality in the bottom end, & overall, the NAD just seems to flow in a slightly more even &musical sense).
I was originally using the Music Fidelity V-Link II USB converter, and then later installed the Schiit Gen 2 USB module.
I and any of my audio friends were hard pressed to tell any difference between the two. I never found anything that sounded better than the MF V-Link II for under $800.
Until the Gustard U12, that is……
I would greatly appreciate any comparisons/impressions, anecdotal or otherwise, about the Gen 3 USB.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,702 of 9,484
  I do not know if this has been asked previously……if so, please forgive the redundancy….
…This USB Gen 3 module……. (when) can I get one for my Gungnir?

Jason said not anytime soon. Apparently it's very, very different form the gen 2, and a lot of work needs to be done to integrate it with the other dacs.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,704 of 9,484

Saw that one.  If the Yggy didnt exist I would probably be saving up for it DESPITE the fact that it has tubes.  I don't have a problem with tubes its just that when I have tube gear I can't stop shopping for and switching tubes out.  I had 3 dozen pairs of tubes for a Monarchy NM24 dac I used to own.  They drive me crazy.

It's why I quit.  Not only is it an exercise in chasing the NOS will-of-the-wisp, it's like paying the bar bill equal to the cost of the meal.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5,706 of 9,484
I've not heard many XMOS implementations that I liked...

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #5,711 of 9,484
Bluetooth connectivity and wireless headphones are the way to go - all the cable issues eliminated, cost savings all around
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,712 of 9,484
  Bluetooth connectivity and wireless headphones are the way to go - all the cable issues eliminated, cost savings all around
biggrin.gif

Until, bluetooth/wireless antenna sticker, just $150, to improve sound clarity.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #5,714 of 9,484
  I just got my shipment notification for order #30767 :) 

and I was right in front of you; got mine too. @amalgamist was five in front of me and got theirs too.  It looks like some Schiit is moving today 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wonder when my Ragnarok will go out.  I'd be perfect if it shipped a week later, 'cause then I could turn the Yggy on and let it get all warm 'n fuzzy first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back