New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Feb 23, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #4,848 of 9,484
  or for the purists, there are passive preamps with remote control available such as this one:
http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/passive-passive-pre-amp/

Alternatively, if you prefer something purer than a "Blue Velvet" ALPS pot, take a look at this passive preamp employing LDRs (light dependent resistors):
http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldr3-v2-passive-preamp/

Besides reviews linked from the website above, you can glean some impressions from the Tortuga Audio board if you feel so inclined.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4,849 of 9,484

If Loki isn't selling well, it's because Loki was a hack to calm the masses, and those of us that have DSD files want quality DSD DAC, I don't think Loki sale performance should be use to gauge the market.

Why would you consider the Loki to be a hack? All I see it is as a multiplexer e.g use your PCM DAC for PCM playback and the Loki for DSD for which the DAC looks to be configured for pure DSD playback? I think its quite an ingenious solution, maybe not the most elegant, but definitely think its worthwhile buying a Loki before committing to DSD. If you are worried about USB, put a Schiit Wyrd in front of the Loki.

I still don't think many people realise the benefits of a proper ladder DAC implementation to do PCM. It's really about as pure as you can get PCM decoding. I'm more than willing to stick a Loki after it if I needed DSD to get proper PCM. The ladder architecture, importantly is going to make your CDs sound great as well.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #4,850 of 9,484
I'll stick with my 20 year old ladder DAC by converting DSD to PCM. The Theta (playing DSD converted to PCM) sounds better than the Loki, or any DSD capable DAC I've tried, and I've tried lots including some multi kilo-buck DSD DACs.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #4,851 of 9,484
Not sure which thread is best to post this information that came to me, but since there is a lot of talk about Theta DACs here:

Be warned of using any Audio GD amplification with the Theta. The Audio GD practice on all their amplification is to short input pins to the ground if the amplifier is powered off or if the input is unused. They do not state this anywhere - I had to find this info via measurements on my own post-factum, and then Audio GD confirmed it. This practice bears a high risk for damaging the output stage in the Theta. I know this from first hand experience. I wonder if I was very unlucky and if anyone tried Audio GD gear on the Theta and got away with it. But the manual warning is very clear to me.

From the Theta manual:
" Whenever making connections to the Generation V, it is very important to power off the Generation V by removing the AC power cord from the wall socket. This will prevent any chance of shorting the analog outputs to ground which will cause damage to the Generation V. "

Thread-relevant question: Is Yggdrasil going to be similar in this respect to the Theta, or will it accept constant shorting on the output stage?

Further note: I so happened to have a Ragnarok at hand and the implemented approach seems different. At no point I found the inputs are shorted to ground. So it should be safe with Theta DACs.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #4,852 of 9,484

From the Theta manual:
" Whenever making connections to the Generation V, it is very important to power off the Generation V by removing the AC power cord from the wall socket. This will prevent any chance of shorting the analog outputs to ground which will cause damage to the Generation V. "

Thread-relevant question: Is Yggdrasil going to be similar in this respect to the Theta, or will it accept constant shorting on the output stage?

That is a negative.  Although it poor practice, the Yggy is resistant to output shorts.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,853 of 9,484
I'll stick with my 20 year old ladder DAC by converting DSD to PCM. The Theta (playing DSD converted to PCM) sounds better than the Loki, or any DSD capable DAC I've tried, and I've tried lots including some multi kilo-buck DSD DACs.

where did you purchase this EOL DAC? any mod required before it could use in the modern computer audiophile context? Thanks

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #4,854 of 9,484
I picked it up from eBay. There was one selling with the Theta Data III CD transport (awesome, but 50lbs) and it didn't sell by the end of the auction term. I made an offer and it got accepted. The Theta DAC also has AES and coax inputs. I use my USB converter for AES too.

I'm sure you guys know that the Yggy has its roots in the Gen V. Same guys designed the DAC. The Yggy is an 2015 update to the Gen V. I couldn't wait for the Yggy. That's why I got the Gen V. Also to find out if Mike and Jason were blowing smoke up my ass on their secret sauce algorithms. Not that I didn't trust them, but I prefer to "trust but verify".

No chance getting one now. Evidently I started a run on these vintage DACs.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #4,856 of 9,484
  I picked it up from eBay. There was one selling with the Theta Data III CD transport (awesome, but 50lbs) and it didn't sell by the end of the auction term. I made an offer and it got accepted. The Theta DAC also has AES and coax inputs. I use my USB converter for AES too.

I'm sure you guys know that the Yggy has its roots in the Gen V. Same guys designed the DAC. The Yggy is an 2015 update to the Gen V. I couldn't wait for the Yggy. That's why I got the Gen V. Also to find out if Mike and Jason were blowing smoke up my ass on their secret sauce algorithms. Not that I didn't trust them, but I prefer to "trust but verify".

No chance getting one now. Evidently I started a run on these vintage DACs.http://www.thetadigital.com/generation_viii_series_3_dac_preamplifier_info.shtml

I'm easily confused, but bear with me.

Theta Digital is an American company selling (very) high-end HT gear and a single statement DAC:

http://www.thetadigital.com/generation_viii_series_3_dac_preamplifier_info.shtml

When the editor of HomeTheaterReview.com sent his Gen V back to Theta in 2009 to be upgraded to the 'Gen V A', it appears they still had technicians in the UK who could perform the upgrade. Note that they never released a Gen Vi or a Gen VII. 

http://hometheaterreview.com/theta-pro-gen-v-a-digital-to-analog-converter-reviewed/

The US operation does offer an upgrade path all the way from the Gen III to their current offering for those with the $$$ :

Generation III, Generation V, & Generation Va

Q: Can the discontinued Generation III, Generation V and / or Generation Va still be serviced? 
A: No, but there is an upgrade path to the current Generation VIII Series 3. Please contact your nearest authorized Theta Digital dealer or international representative for further details.

return to top

Generation VIII

Q: How long will it take to upgrade my Generation VIII to Generation VIII Series 3 status? 
A: Once the unit arrives at Theta Digital, depending on the factory's current manufacturing responsibilities, it will typically require around 4 weeks before it can be shipped back. It can also be done in the field by an authorized Theta Digital dealer or international representative.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that anyone in their right mind is going to pay serious dollars to have a ~20 year old DAC upgraded when they will soon be able to buy a brand new R2R DAC for a fraction of the price and none of the shipping hassles - just putting it out there. The current 'Series 3' version of the Gen VIII seems to be priced at around 14K USD - the first series of this generation was 10K when Stereophile reviewed it back in 2004. By those standards alone, Yggy would seem to be an even more outrageous bargain if it's the 2015 version of the Gen V minus the bejewelled casework, but I promised myself I'd lay off the Kool-Aid until a few more people have heard it. 

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/204theta/index.html

Finally, and slightly OT, the HTR editor mentions his Marantz DA12 briefly in the upgrade article, and the chip at the centre of that vintage DAC was also one of Lukasz Fikus' favorites way back when - 

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/TDA1541%20corner/TDA1541.html

Mike has made it pretty clear that he didnt care for too many of the early chips, regardless of their legion of fans, but I find a lot of the early history interesting  - certainly a lot more interesting than SABRE or Xilinx, although I guess they will have their fan sites in the fullness of time.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,857 of 9,484
I dont understand why a remote will degrade the sq.  Why can't you just have a remote controlled dial turner and set it on the volume knob?

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,859 of 9,484
I vote for no more remote talk. There won't be one.
deadhorse.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #4,860 of 9,484
I vote for more remote talk.  Way more remote talk.  The Rag needs a remote and we want it... i predict schiit will make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back