New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,411 of 9,484

Mr.Preproman,

The Schiit would be better if you are West of the Mississippi River, if you are East of the River the Mac stuff is better.  

Same holds true for the LCD3 in the West  , the HD800s are better in the East because they are Germanic.  

The HD800 is gonna be better anyway because Sennheiser doesn't have to keep upgrading em, they got it right the first time around, being good engineers that they are, the matching Amp is also superb.  Remember that Sennheiser will be supporting their stuff forever.  

The next big Earthquake is gonna wash all those California outfits into the Ocean, then where will you be?, stuck with unsupported stuff that's been upgraded ver.2,3,4,5… 

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  why not just buy a nice New Corvette Convertible instead and have some fun!!

lol... what in the world are you talking about? 
blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4,412 of 9,484
The DAC is not even released... So I don't really understand the motivation behind this ridiculous hypetrain (happening not only in this dedicated thread which is truly annoying for those not really interested in some kind of mysterious multithousand dollar unreleased product). Some of you may heard some sort of a pre-production prototype Of Yggdrasil or whatever... But until it's released and available to everybody (not only to some Schiit's friends from the other website), you should stay away from recommending Yggdrasil over every already released DAC product on this planet across various Head-fi topics (at least if you want to be taken seriously by those who are not as easily manipulated by words that we all have heard thousand times already on Head-fi or elsewhere). Thanks.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,413 of 9,484
I used to pick up old mcintosh gear in sacramento and around the SF Bay area and refurbish it. The older stuff was great. The newer units aren't as solid from the demos I've had.

I will probably be getting a Ragnarok at some point to replace my Klone (phenomenal amp, I just use both speakers and headphones). I plan on ordering the Yggy the day it comes out. I'll host another mini pirate meet when I have the stack.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,414 of 9,484
  Some of you may heard some sort of a pre-production prototype Of Yggdrasil or whatever... But until it's released and available to everybody (not only to some Schiit's friends from the other website), you should stay away from recommending Yggdrasil over every already released DAC product on this planet across various Head-fi topics (at least if you want to be taken seriously by those who are not as easily manipulated by words that we all have heard thousand times already on Head-fi or elsewhere). Thanks.

Why? If one has heard it, and can compare it with other things they've heard, why not? I don't believe there are any significant changes planned, but even if there are some changes, recommending the DAC based on what they've heard seems totally in line with being a human being interested in this hobby.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,415 of 9,484

Mr.Money,

I'm giving product advice.:  Buy a Corvette instead and have some 500HP fun.  

We make Cars so I'd end up making a dollar if he takes my good advice.  

Tony in Michigan 

ps. the Corvette would probably have $5,000 worth of Car Radio so he could have both a new car and music.  No charge for all the pretty girls wanting to go for a ride.  Win-Win-Win 

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4,416 of 9,484
Mr. Ron,

Party pooper. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.  these guys live for this, you could play along and suggest that the Audioquest Diamond cable is manditory to get best performance.  or some other BS .  Let's have fun with this: recommend wooden tip-toes and Cramolin Red.  
               and
Don't forget: this is the "the stuff we don't even have is better than you're crappy stuff" group.  

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4,417 of 9,484
lol... what in the world are you talking about? :blink: :confused_face_2: :confused_face:

Exactly!!

I used to pick up old mcintosh gear in sacramento and around the SF Bay area and refurbish it. The older stuff was great. The newer units aren't as solid from the demos I've had.

I will probably be getting a Ragnarok at some point to replace my Klone (phenomenal amp, I just use both speakers and headphones). I plan on ordering the Yggy the day it comes out. I'll host another mini pirate meet when I have the stack.

Could you pm me to elaborate? I've never seen any old McIntosh gear but that MHA100 seemed pretty solid next to a PeachTree in Best Buy. Do they break? Just not go HiFi enough? Have they cheapened up production? I've noted this rivalry in the forums before (McIntosh fans vs non-McIntosh fans) but I don't understand the basis for it fully. Not a fan or any company per say, I've never owned anything other than a Realistic, Yamaha, or NAD amp. In fact I've never had a headphone amp, so I want to understand this more. Thanks.

By the way I've been looking around the Schiit site and I can't find the preorder or info page on the new DAC. Nice discrete boards are cool in red, look nice, and kinda remind me of Burson's approach,

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4,418 of 9,484
[/quote]
Some of you may heard some sort of a pre-production prototype Of Yggdrasil or whatever... But until it's released and available to everybody (not only to some Schiit's friends from the other website), you should stay away from recommending Yggdrasil over every already released DAC product on this planet across various Head-fi topics (at least if you want to be taken seriously by those who are not as easily manipulated by words that we all have heard thousand times already on Head-fi or elsewhere). Thanks.

They talk about it so people can save money now for when it is released. :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,419 of 9,484
  The DAC is not even released... So I don't really understand the motivation behind this ridiculous hypetrain (happening not only in this dedicated thread which is truly annoying for those not really interested in some kind of mysterious multithousand dollar unreleased product). Some of you may heard some sort of a pre-production prototype Of Yggdrasil or whatever... But until it's released and available to everybody (not only to some Schiit's friends from the other website), you should stay away from recommending Yggdrasil over every already released DAC product on this planet across various Head-fi topics (at least if you want to be taken seriously by those who are not as easily manipulated by words that we all have heard thousand times already on Head-fi or elsewhere). Thanks.

What ridiculous hype-train? You mean the Hugo hype-train? What about the Alpha Dog hype-train? Or Audio-GD Master 7 hype-train? Or the Audio-GD Ref 1 hype-train before that. Or even the Audeze LCD-2 hype-train from years back. One person, who happens to have heard more audio gear than most people have heard in five lifetimes, heard a DAC and couldn't contain his excitement. This constitutes a hype train? Over-exuberance, yes. Hype-train, no. For your information, the "train" in hype-train implies a lot of people.

If you want to kill hype-trains, stop complaining and do what I have done. Use your own money or own resources to get your hands on stuff you think is getting too much hype and offer an contrarian opinion and/or more objective data. Otherwise say nothing because it will seem like you have an axe to grind (and I know you do, but let's not get into that.) And stop following zerodeefex around from thread to thread and exclaiming "hype train". Don't you have something better to do?

I don't know why you keep mentioning things about other Internets. Is zerodeefex not an active Head-Fi member who wishes to share and contribute to content here? What does this matter to you? What is your problem exactly? Is zerodeefex not more on topic with his posts than 90% of the other posts in this thread? All of the people who went to the SoCal and Bay Area meets are active Head-Fi members. With the exception of me and one other person, none of the attendees know Jason well. zerodeefex doesn't know Jason well. And heck, I don't even where Jason lives. I just know that he drives a Camaro. There was no secret society of Schiit friends attending these meets. Other MoTs were there. LH made the Bay Area meet and Donald North may the SoCal meet.

I mentioned this before. It's not uncommon for local vendors to come by and show off upcoming stuff at local smaller meets. Audeze has done this. DNA has done this. Eddie Current has done this. Now Schiit has done this. Oooooh, big deal. Why do I often get these opportunities more than others? It's because I am a crazy unpaid enthusiast who has sunk in a lot of time and a lot of money to arrange or participate these meets and further this hobby.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #4,420 of 9,484
I think it's understable some people have reservations, and ZF even agrees this is healthy skepticism.

Personally, I read the comments on the dac walking on everything else with a pinch of salt. For instance, the msb analog stack is taken as one of those references but it's not the first time I hear it's bested in the details department for example.

Also, the talk about 14 bits effective resolution of traditional ladder dacs is BS imo, and really mainly serving the marketing from schiit about the "revolutionary" filter (I commented before, not sure it was this thread though). I see it like a large tap oversampling filter. A filter and oversampling at that is what it is, it's got to have its own signature like every other filters on the market...

Finally, about the value proposition, there's no question Schiit is right on the money. I settled for a much more expensive boutique DAC, knowing that a discrete ladder dac takes money to do right and that it's not just about the D/A stage itself but the whole chain starting with the D/D conditioning... I would have tried the Iggy otherwise, as it's claiming to be such a bargain (difficult to settle for less once you've sampled what a high end dac that delivers).

I have to admit I got turned off by purrin's comments on how ruthlessly revealing the iggy prototype was. There's a way to deliver resolution without getting clinical sounding, and I went for a path I trusted (having experienced first hand a dac that could deliver there). Finding out that the magic filter in the iggy was actually oversampling was also what turned me away for good (at least of buying it, i still want to hear it some day), I am a strong believer in playing material at the native sample rate...

Cheers,
Arnaud

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #4,422 of 9,484

I was the second person at RMAF to listen to Yaggy. I understand why people that detest the 'hype train' cannot stop making absolute statements about this DAC. For those who haven't heard it, you have no frame of reference - this DAC is unlike any DAC anyone's ever heard. It's important for everyone to understand that Yaggy is the first of it's kind; not in a hyperbole sense - literally. In the D/A conversion, no bits are lost. None. when you hear it, you'll very quickly understand that you haven't heard this before. At RMAF, I was listening intently - trying to wrap my head around what I was hearing. Jason & Mike walked up and asked "What do you think?". I was still struggling trying to quantify this new sound, and I think I mumbled something like "whole notes.... space between notes...'. I don't know... Wasn't my most eloquent moment.

It's be easier for everyone to understand how unique this DAC is if it didn't look like basically every other DAC out there (with Schiit styling). As it is, most interpret these statements as fayboyism, hyperbole, whatever. I get it. We all have been exposed to the numbing noise and pull of the hype train. Here's the problem. For those who have heard it, this DAC demands statements of clarity - as clear and solid as the music it delivers. People can quibble about the tonality or styling - and they will. Some will be schiit fans, others wouldn't. But if you love music, you'll be drawn to this DAC - simply because it gives you your music without taking any away. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #4,423 of 9,484
Hypetrains are a consequence of forums everywhere. It comes down to, do you trust the people who are "driving" the train. For me, it's case by case.

I do regret not being able to listen to the Rag/Yggy combo when I had the chance during one of those meets. Stupid cold. :mad:

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,424 of 9,484

Mr.Rogers,

Bit Perfect has been around for a while, maybe You haven't been exposed to it yet but it's common in the better range of stuff. 

My iMac has a Bit Perfect for cristsake.  

I suspect that you are discovering what has always been possible but wasn't available at the Consumer price points you were once willing to spend.  If you were ever willing to spend $5,000 you would've had access to this level of performance.  

The good news is that the Consumer Audio Manufactures are stepping up to supplying better equipment, if they can figure out how to do it, only a few of our Great Audiophile Equipment makers understand how to make good sounding digital stuff, they are mostly still committed to Vinyl so trying to do a good digital item may be beyond them.  

This Yggy device will change the way you evaluate everything else, it's a game changer for the Consumer levels of the Industry. 

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  sit tight , it's starting to get very good for us

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #4,425 of 9,484
Which gets us back to a statement I made pages ago: no one can tell you what you will hear or if you will like something but you.  So, when the product is released, get hold of one, try it out, make up your own mind.  Everything else is just people's gums flapping. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back