New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #4,247 of 9,484
Mr.Barry S.,

You're not "sure"?  
They're probably spending $10,000 to do this and every other show they attend.  
It's easy to imagine that they are putting their very best foot foreword, they are showing off here, besides these show amps aren't for sale, nor are the tubes.  
Any old stock tubes right outa the box? or hand pre-selected?  Which would you use?

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4,248 of 9,484
Mr.Barry S., You're not "sure"? They're probably spending $10,000 to do this and every other show they attend. It's easy to imagine that they are putting their very best foot foreword, they are showing off here, besides these show amps aren't for sale, nor are the tubes. Any old stock tubes right outa the box? or hand pre-selected? Which would you use? Tony in Michigan

You would think that would be the case, but I've seen Woo at shows using stock tubes.

I really wish they would use a better rectifier OOB

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4,249 of 9,484
  Mr.Barry S.,

You're not "sure"?  
They're probably spending $10,000 to do this and every other show they attend.  
It's easy to imagine that they are putting their very best foot foreword, they are showing off here, besides these show amps aren't for sale, nor are the tubes.  
Any old stock tubes right outa the box? or hand pre-selected?  Which would you use?

Tony in Michigan 

Actually at most meets apart from the big ones like CES and Canjam they use stock or maybe slightly better than stock 

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,250 of 9,484

It was at the Woo booth of a local audio show--not sure if they were using upgraded tubes.

Was it one of the DC meets from 2014? I might have a look there, just to see. Find out if it was maxed out and still not sounding too good on LCDX. 

Sorry for the double post

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,251 of 9,484
Dubstep Girl's recetifier post had a lot of bad things to say about Woo's standard rectefier tubes. Described as "harsh and grainy" and that it distorts the soundstage. They might want to bring something a bit nicer than that to trade shows...

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #4,253 of 9,484
  I spent more time auditioning the WA22 and WA7, and both were outfitted with stock tubes. I didn't bother asking about the WA5, since the signature was so far from what I like.

Cool - thanks for posting. I have a WA5 here, well I have 1 half of it and the other half arrives tomorrow. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #4,254 of 9,484

Mr.Wolf,

Only a handful are available, is there a $500 Amp? 

Tony in Michigan

A decent SR-009 amp for $500 is a tall order. When I had the SR-009, I usually paired them with Stax's own SRM-727ii, which is something of a budget offering at approx. $2000 new. I did not find the amp satisfactory.

A second-hand KGSS at around $2k is probably the best you can do for small dinero.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,256 of 9,484
Every show i went to this year they were using stock tubes in the amps i listened to (5,7,22).

Which is why I think some people are turned away from the WA5. I will have the stock tubes in my amp for around one month and then I will get - EML300b - CV593 - TS6F8G

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #4,257 of 9,484
Which is why I think some people are turned away from the WA5. I will have the stock tubes in my amp for around one month and then I will get - EML300b - CV593 - TS6F8G

Does the WA5 have a reputation as an amp that can be substantially altered with tube rolling? Have you had a chance to hear the Liquid Glass? It sounds completely different depending on the tubes, but I've heard it sing with cheap tubes.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #4,258 of 9,484
I wanted to get some more impressions about the Rag and searched through majority of this thread and it seems the topics being discussed was anything but the actual amp. Not a criticism, just wondering if it's because of many people not having the amp?

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #4,259 of 9,484
^ Try the Ragnarok thread for a slightly better hit rate. This thread started long before the Rag's release.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #4,260 of 9,484
Does the WA5 have a reputation as an amp that can be substantially altered with tube rolling? Have you had a chance to hear the Liquid Glass? It sounds completely different depending on the tubes, but I've heard it sing with cheap tubes.

Most people I have talked to who own the WA5 say that is isn't really worth having with stock tubes - I'ts a tube roll or go home kind of amp. I have not heard any of the Cavalli amps. 
The sound of the WA5 should change drastically with tube upgrades. I will know myself soon enough 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back