New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,143 of 9,484
Yeah, I mean as a headphone amp exclusively (or a tube preamp) I have never really had too much use for adjustable gain. Unless the gain function allows you to lower the gain. The little beast drives headphones ridiculously loud, and I have never topped out the volume pot since owning it. =]

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4,144 of 9,484
I just want to give my impressions with the gear I am using and see what others have experienced with the speaker side of the amp. Anyone else using speakers? And what volume levels do you need to get em pumpin' well?

So one thing I notice is that for the vinyl transfers I listen to, I have to use either gain level 2 with Rag turned to 5 o'clock (Six o'clock is about max for Rag) position or gain level 3 with Rag turned to about 3 o'clock in order to get a decent volume on the Sony speakers I am using. They were made for the old Hi-Fi unit I got when I was a kid. You know, one of those ****ty all-in-one things.

Speakers are 6 ohms. The old unit put out 60w RMS per channel and the speakers were matched to that system and sold retail. Those are the only specs I have on the things. SS-CHP7 is the model number.

Once the speakers are being powered to a volume I like, the sound is noticeably more controlled, detailed, and distributed than when using the old unit they originally came with. The separation of voices is more distinct too. Amazing how good source and amping can make these sub 100 dollar speakers sing so well. I never really loved them. But now they sound pretty great.

I am saving for some new speakers, and happy to know the Rag does it's job proudly with sound quality on the speaker outs.

PWD Mk II is at 95-100 volume. Everything is running SE right now, so that could be why. Eager to try out balanced. Still expecting a package from Trevor over at Norne audio.

Am I correct to assume that using balanced line between my PWD and Rag will increase volume potential of my entire stack?

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,145 of 9,484
  I just want to give my impressions with the gear I am using and see what others have experienced with the speaker side of the amp. Anyone else using speakers? And what volume levels do you need to get em pumpin' well?

So one thing I notice is that for the vinyl transfers I listen to, I have to use either gain level 2 with Rag turned to 5 o'clock (Six o'clock is about max for Rag) position or gain level 3 with Rag turned to about 3 o'clock in order to get a decent volume on the Sony speakers I am using. They were made for the old Hi-Fi unit I got when I was a kid. You know, one of those ****ty all-in-one things.

Speakers are 6 ohms. The old unit put out 60w RMS per channel and the speakers were matched to that system and sold retail. Those are the only specs I have on the things. SS-CHP7 is the model number.

Once the speakers are being powered to a volume I like, the sound is noticeably more controlled, detailed, and distributed than when using the old unit they originally came with. The separation of voices is more distinct too. Amazing how good source and amping can make these sub 100 dollar speakers sing so well. I never really loved them. But now they sound pretty great.

I am saving for some new speakers, and happy to know the Rag does it's job proudly with sound quality on the speaker outs.

PWD Mk II is at 95-100 volume. Everything is running SE right now, so that could be why. Eager to try out balanced. Still expecting a package from Trevor over at Norne audio.

Am I correct to assume that using balanced line between my PWD and Rag will increase volume potential of my entire stack?

Techniclly yes, correct me if i'm wrong guys, but there is 5v in xlr instead of 2v in the rca output

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,146 of 9,484
Currently listening to Apollo Brown - Clouds (Album) on my q701s over SE and have had the amp on since around 10 this morning.

Chain used: PC (Foobar2k WASAPI event) -> PWD MkII (USB) -> Ragnarok (SE Cable) -> AKG q701 (SE)

I am having a supremely enjoyable time. These headphones are ones that I consider to be tricky. They are very accurate but their balance between bass/mid/treble and sound stage are both weird. I never really enjoyed them until I found some awesome tubes after purchasing my Lyr. (I do love me some Schiit products)

Anyways, I can say that at the very least that the bass/mid/treble balance issue is corrected with this amp. The music that comes out now lacks the usual unpleasant brightness which I found a lot of other sub-$300 SS amps that I have tried produced.

Mind you, the overall sound is still very much the "reference" style, un-colored, or "non-dark" sound. 

The Lyr--which solved my ugly brightness issue with the q701s is the only tube amp I have tried with the AKGs.

I cannot afford to mod these headphones with the value they currently have to use balanced cabling, so the SE performance was important to me with the q701s. The performance is very satisfactory with the few albums I have listened to so far, one being a classical recording of Mahler 3 by the LSO. It was outstanding.

Anyways, will continue to update with experience and impressions.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #4,148 of 9,484
... how did I not know about WASAPI until now.  Thank you for unwittingly solving a problem I didn't know I had.

Totally. I tried using Foobar and had some strange lag timing issues and drop outs till WASAPI made it all smooth as silk. A must!

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,149 of 9,484
  ... how did I not know about WASAPI until now.  Thank you for unwittingly solving a problem I didn't know I had.

But what verion of WASAPI??? 
angry_face.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,150 of 9,484
Why aren't you guys using ASIO? It should be better in most cases.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #4,152 of 9,484
  Why aren't you guys using ASIO? It should be better in most cases.

If the driver supports it, maybe... it can be daunting to setup if you're not savvy.  And the benefits might not be worth the trouble.  But, yes, if it's an option, and you're willing, it's the way to go.  At least until you can afford a Mac and Audirvana. :)

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #4,153 of 9,484
Of course, if you don't have a native ASIO driver included with your DAC then go with WASAPI. ASIO4ALL is just Kernel Streaming underneath which is worse :)

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,154 of 9,484
  Guys--check it out. I've replaced the stock single-phase pole transformers on the electrical drop to my house with the latest GE 100kVa transformers. These babies have got external low-voltage surge arresters, non-PCB insulating oil, and they meet (or exceed) RUS, NEMA, and ANSI standards. Not even gonna mention the interlaced secondary windings. Sure, I had to rent a bucket truck and risk my life in the middle of the night, but I think you'd agree the increase in microdynamics is worth it.

I can't stop laughing!  
biggrin.gif

And I can't believe he's still using wooden poles.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,155 of 9,484

Mister Jacal01,

Are you just looking around for some trouble to kick-up?  
Wooden Poles, DiLi, nanotube stuff?
 We are about to have 200mi + range capable electric cars that will drive themselves and park themselves.
I may have to focus a bit more on transportation solutions and cut my headphone studies classes, for a while.  
I'm in a good place with my Sennheiser RS wireless & HD580/800 + Schiit Amp & ODAC!
and
"The Teaching Company's" "Great Courses" series.   Today I'm studying Mozart followed by Concertos of the Romantic Period.  I intend to Consume their entire Class Selection in due time.  I have this as a part time hobby:  education I never had the time to explore but can today because of the format allowing flexibility in the student's time requirements.  Headphones make this Class series possible.  I hope to end up being smart and edga-mutated better than i ever got.  

I hope to continue reading your posts and may slide in a fast one here and there , if I can blindside somebody once in a while and I'll wanna show off how smart I'm getten.  

Tony in Michigan 

Ps. we got new product roll-outs and the car show business to contend with , we're doing the bestest we can to keep VW from becoming the No.1 Global Car Industry.  We're giving the UAW a big hunk of cash to go down to the VW plant and kick some serious ass .  Sometimes we play dirty, it comes back on us but we can't seem to stop ourselves , we can be our own worst enemy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back