New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 9, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #4,127 of 9,484

What makes one amp better than another? My understanding is that it is a combination of many things, but if we simplifies it a bit and says that it’s mostly about this 3 categories (that in turn can be divide in to many more categories) (1) Power handle and power amount that the amp can deliver in/on whereas lodes (2) different amplifier designs (push pull, OTL etc.) (3) Quality on components.

Number 3 quality on components including things like volume pots, amps, wiring, transformers, capacitors, tubes etc. This components can be made with different material, different qualities (matching pairs, selected, laser trimmed and so on) and to different spec/quantity values. I’m not an amp designer or a technician but believe that a good connection and impedance and thing like that is essential, as is match between the parts in an amp/dac for high fidelity sound and every little loss or change between them, multiplied will be heard.  It’s also my understanding that different amp designs is not equally effected by the quality of its parts.  For example one type of tub of one brand can sound different when another brands tub (or a capacitors of one brand can sound different to another) and the difference can be more distinctly heard in one amp design than another.  

I haven’t rolled fuses and cannot say if it have any effect on SQ, but strictly from my experience on other components like USB cables, power cords, IC and power conditioner I would not call it BS without listening for myself and matching is probable as important as it always is. I cannot do this fuse rolling in my Audio GD amp and dac as they don’t have changeable fuses.

Many people have claimed that a “better” USB cable or a power cord is not going to change the sound if the original stock cable  is not defected. I believe that it can make a different and that everything matters, but that not everything is of equally importance and some/many times the result is described as beaning more profound when it really is IMO. This rant is in my opinion and an attempt to explain my view and if you have another I’m will respect it.

More on topic have the design of Yggdrasil ever included tubes?

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #4,128 of 9,484
As stated earlier, the fuse is a choke point.

The instantaneous current requirement from the supply to the output devices can be compromised on heavy current supply situations.

The fact that the fuse heats up shows power loss in the dhort term.

The best solution would be a circuit breaker. (Much more expensive, or (if you're game) no fuse at all).

If we are going to go down this road then we may as well treat the Circuit Breaker contacts with exotic contact enhancers to really get that audiophile sound!

No fuse is the best if you what to play the odds and take a chance on burning your house down! :eek:
An extreme example, but possible.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #4,129 of 9,484
As I have come to understand it (and my understanding does change as new data comes forward) the fuse will limit the instantaneous delivery of current during the 'on' cycle of the 60Hz wave form.  After all that IS what a fuse does, it acts as a 'limiter' of current in 'extreme' conditions.  But unfortunately it also behaves as a limiter during 'normal' operations as well.

This limiting the current flow means that the efficient transfer of energy (voltage and current) at as close to peak amounts, is also comprimised. 
Which means the power supply can be thought of as always playing catchup.  It will never get all of the power it requires in any given moment during the 'on' cycle of the inrush current.  What's more, this catchup is cummulative across 'ON' cycles, because it didn't get all the energy it 'wanted' from the last 'ON' pulse.

This is 'dirty' in the sense that as the fuse 'limits' the current the voltage will also 'sag' slightly, which then in effect makes the demand for even more current to compensate, but it also means that the powersupply demand for its peak voltage is also limited at the very same time.

Fuses typically limit current by melting, i.e. interrupting the flow of current.
Permanently.
Then it's time to figure out why the fuse blew.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,130 of 9,484
Yea, it's incorrect to say a fuse "limits" current.  It does nothing of the sort.  It simply stops all current flow by creating an open circuit after a maximum has been exceeded.  Before that, it is a piece of wire.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,131 of 9,484
   Before that, it is a piece of wire.

As are interconnects and speaker cables, and you know how contentious those are...

BTW, are you guys on lithium power referring to the battery kind, or the prescription variety?
wink_face.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,132 of 9,484
Guys--check it out. I've replaced the stock single-phase pole transformers on the electrical drop to my house with the latest GE 100kVa transformers. These babies have got external low-voltage surge arresters, non-PCB insulating oil, and they meet (or exceed) RUS, NEMA, and ANSI standards. Not even gonna mention the interlaced secondary windings. Sure, I had to rent a bucket truck and risk my life in the middle of the night, but I think you'd agree the increase in microdynamics is worth it.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4,133 of 9,484
A ferroresonant isolation transformer proximal to the amp makes some sense in attenuating high frequency noise riding on the mains (SCR dimmer trash for example) as well has having local energy storage for transients. Also handles brownouts pretty well. Nothing exotic but needs to be sensibly sized for the application.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,134 of 9,484
  Guys--check it out. I've replaced the stock single-phase pole transformers on the electrical drop to my house with the latest GE 100kVa transformers. These babies have got external low-voltage surge arresters, non-PCB insulating oil, and they meet (or exceed) RUS, NEMA, and ANSI standards. Not even gonna mention the interlaced secondary windings. Sure, I had to rent a bucket truck and risk my life in the middle of the night, but I think you'd agree the increase in microdynamics is worth it.

I can't stop laughing!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #4,136 of 9,484

Interesting to me too; think the Ragnarok drives the HD800s well, but in their particular case I prefer them with tube drive.

Gotta agree here.  HD 800 lacks some body (visceralness?) w/ Ragnarok that it has with a decent tube amp.  Distortion (euphonic) is your friend with these cans, and Ragnarok ain't got that.

Still, a good combo for well recorded classical.  But, it has me looking for something with a little more low end than HD 800 right now.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #4,137 of 9,484
Put a tube-pre amp in the mix

This is tempting, to be sure. Part of the reason I've been on the hunt off and on for a DAC with a tube buffer/gain stage. The thing is, part of why I [want to] like the Ragnarok is its versatility and the resulting system simplicity. By providing an integrated amplifier and headamp in one box, all I need are a couple of fixed analog inputs (turntable, digital) and I'm done. I used to have a tubed phono pre but ended up going solid state there in the current iteration. DAC chain is all solid-state, and I'm pretty sure Yggdrasil is at least going to be worth an evaluation. At least in my Rag system, my goal is to achieve some measure of simplicity and not have to add additional upstream equipment to make me happy with the Rag for a particular purpose. Not sure that's going to work out. I would love to say that my love for Ragnarok is unconditional and it never leaves me wanting, but I can't. It's a jack of all trades and master of some. So, getting back to the point, not saying it drives the HD800s poorly or that its presentation is inaccurate, it's just not an especially euphonic combination for me. Have/had the same problem with the GS-X and the HD800s; initially loved the combination but over the years have from at least a pure listening pleasure standpoint have drifted towards combinations that are somewhat more euphonic to my ears.

Now, I feel very differently about the HE-6, where I think the Ragnarok is a match made in heaven. After years of ignoring those cans for months at a time, I think I'm finally interested in spending some quality time with them.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4,139 of 9,484
Just got everything in the mail yesterday and setup. Getting used to everything. Sounds pretty decent with the cheap Sony speakers i've owned for years. Cannot really post too much about sound as my balanced cables have not come yet for PWD mkII -> Rag and from Rag -> LCD-2s.

Running fully SE sounds comparable to my Lyr running a set of 60's diamond mark Telefunken tubes--very balanced throughout bass, mids, treble, powerful and filled out sound, and my number one concern with solid state: it is in no way harsh or bright.

Considering that I love my Teles and the sound of tubes, the fact that this amp sounds so enjoyable on SE makes me very pleased.

Cannot wait to try everything fully balanced. 

Chain: PC (Foobar2k WASAPI event) -> PWD MkII (USB) -> Ragnarok (SE Cable) -> Sony SS-CHP7 Speakers / AKG q701 (SE) / LCD-2 (SE)

Full impressions and comparisons with what I have available will come shortly! I think my friend has a pair of HD-600s I can try on this beast.'

Anyways, cheers, and thanks to all who helped me with my SE/Balanced can cabling questions.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4,140 of 9,484
  Just got everything in the mail yesterday and setup. Getting used to everything. Sounds pretty decent with the cheap Sony speakers i've owned for years. Cannot really post too much about sound as my balanced cables have not come yet for PWD mkII -> Rag and from Rag -> LCD-2s.

Running fully SE sounds comparable to my Lyr running a set of 60's diamond mark Telefunken tubes--very balanced throughout bass, mids, treble, powerful and filled out sound, and my number one concern with solid state: it is in no way harsh or bright.

Considering that I love my Teles and the sound of tubes, the fact that this amp sounds so enjoyable on SE makes me very pleased.

Cannot wait to try everything fully balanced. 

Chain: PC (Foobar2k WASAPI event) -> PWD MkII (USB) -> Ragnarok (SE Cable) -> Sony SS-CHP7 Speakers / AKG q701 (SE) / LCD-2 (SE)

Full impressions and comparisons with what I have available will come shortly! I think my friend has a pair of HD-600s I can try on this beast.'

Anyways, cheers, and thanks to all who helped me with my SE/Balanced can cabling questions.

Hello, thanks for the update, looking forward to your review. Do you have lyr 1 or 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back