New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4,111 of 9,484
It 'could' I suppose if you wire it that way. but normally no...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #4,112 of 9,484
So were we just joking about fuses improving the sound quality or are people actually serious about this, I thought people were just joking around. If not, well I don't even to know what to say to that.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #4,114 of 9,484
I know I'm showing my ignorance by asking this, but does the audio signal actually pass through a fuse?

No not AS the audio signal, but the energy that is used by the DUT to 'make' the audio signal, does.
And it passes thru the fuse in pulses of varying amounts of current that does 'reflect' the audio signal, and not in a continuous 'flow' of current.

JJ

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4,116 of 9,484
Fortuneately I don't have to deal with any of that.  Although I know folks with really schiity power and they did have to deal with that.

My experiments, thus far have demonstrated that tweaking the distribution of power in my own house was sufficient to make significant improvements.
And they were relatively cheap and easy to make. 

JJ  
atsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,117 of 9,484

Hello, I tried the similar setup. The Rok does pair well with both the HD 800 and LCD-X. The only problem I'm encountering is that the 800's are dominating my listening time over the X's. I really want to like them both equally with the Rok but it ain't happening.

Yes, it does (pair well with both.) I finished my M9 / Rok comparison with LCD-X yesterday, and just started with HD 800. The differences are not night and day, and both amps are amazing, nevermind price, but I slightly preferred the X with the M9.

On the other hand, so far I slightly prefer the HD 800 with the Rok. My favorite setup so far has been X with M9, but I still have a lot of listening to do.

I'm going to post a full shootout for the best setup between Rok, M9, and 4 TOTL phones, but I'm not sure if I should divide it into wall-o-text daily posts on this thread, or do a full drawn out version and post it as its own thread, David Mahler style.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4,118 of 9,484
Quote:TonysomewhereintheUSA
 ps. I know Lithium is better , I've AB tested them all :  Nuc , Coal , Diesel , Gas , Solar , no-sir-e , Lithium sounds best !

Have you tried the organic sound of hamster power?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #4,119 of 9,484
From the "Don't Blow A Fuse (unless it bought you a nice dinner first) Department:

Amps make music by modulating and manipulating electric current. All agreed so far?

Therefore, does it not follow that the less corrupted the power, the better will be the sonic result? Would you rather brew your tea with mountain spring water, or the stuff out of the gutter?

And isn't every part (even a humble fuse) another opportunity to screw things up? I believe one reason Ragnarok sounds so good is the circuit simplicity and low parts count.

I would really like to call BS on fuses making a difference. But I have too much experience to reject such suggestions out of hand. So when I get past the holidays, I'll probably try a super-duper fuse. "Til then I suspend judgment.

Just don't tell on me to Jason, pleeeeze...

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4,120 of 9,484
Quote:mangler
 I know I'm showing my ignorance by asking this, but does the audio signal actually pass through a fuse?

As stated earlier, the fuse is a choke point.

The instantaneous current requirement from the supply to the output devices can be compromised on heavy current supply situations.

The fact that the fuse heats up shows power loss in the dhort term.

The best solution would be a circuit breaker. (Much more expensive, or (if you're game) no fuse at all).

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #4,121 of 9,484
Yeah but why would the amps fuse magically make the "dirty power" assuming that is a real thing, into clean power ? I just don't understand how a fuse could make any difference but then again I've yet to hear a headphone cable make any sound difference and I've owned a few

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4,123 of 9,484

Hamster Power , 

My Minister Wife drives a Kia Soul , does that count ?  The Soul is kinda Hamster based , isn't it ?

Breaking News ( it's kinda breaking my heart ) : that Red Wine fella has created a cap. based power supply ( for $4,500 or thereabouts ) headphone Amp .    

Just as I was settling in with DeWalt Power Tool lithiums , I've been made obsolete , both get their AmpHours from a Coal Based Generation System , I worry the sooty dirty electricity sound will somehow seep into my music system , it keeps me up at night , maybe fuse rolling could help filter out some of it .  I'll have to try something if I want to find some peace in life .

Wish me Luck , please ! 

Tony in Michigan   

[size=x-small]ps.  I'll try to get some help from my Couch Doctor , maybe a bottle of Happy Pills would [/size]…[size=x-small].[/size]

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #4,125 of 9,484
Yeah but why would the amps fuse magically make the "dirty power" assuming that is a real thing, into clean power ? I just don't understand how a fuse could make any difference but then again I've yet to hear a headphone cable make any sound difference and I've owned a few

As I have come to understand it (and my understanding does change as new data comes forward) the fuse will limit the instantaneous delivery of current during the 'on' cycle of the 60Hz wave form.  After all that IS what a fuse does, it acts as a 'limiter' of current in 'extreme' conditions.  But unfortunately it also behaves as a limiter during 'normal' operations as well.

This limiting the current flow means that the efficient transfer of energy (voltage and current) at as close to peak amounts, is also comprimised. 
Which means the power supply can be thought of as always playing catchup.  It will never get all of the power it requires in any given moment during the 'on' cycle of the inrush current.  What's more, this catchup is cummulative across 'ON' cycles, because it didn't get all the energy it 'wanted' from the last 'ON' pulse.

This is 'dirty' in the sense that as the fuse 'limits' the current the voltage will also 'sag' slightly, which then in effect makes the demand for even more current to compensate, but it also means that the powersupply demand for its peak voltage is also limited at the very same time.

A tweako fuse can cause less of this limitation of current and voltage so that when the powersupply asks for power the difference between what it 'expects' and what is actually delivered is less.
Thus the powersupply is running at a more optimal level of performance, which by inferrance means the portions of the amps circuits that need full voltage and peak current flow (during musical dynamics) actually have access to a more optimal power delivery situation to that section of the circuit.

And what I've written here is a very simplified view of what is actually going on dynamically inside the various sections of the amp.  
It is FAR more complex because during the 'ON' stage the powersupply is seeing a changing voltage and current being supplied to it from the transformer, 
AND the powersupply changes it's demand for power (voltage and current) as the music plays (during musical dynamics) during the 'on' cycle,
AND there is 'noise' being generated by the powersupply as it turns 'ON' and then 'OFF' during every pulse of power delivery.

AND as we are pushing the envelope with the desire for greater and greater dynamics, with more internal resolution (more inner details), lowered noise floor requirements, and headphones that can enable us to hear these improvements, well, even a lowly fuse can make a difference.  And we can hear these changes assuming there isn't some other choke point obscuring these dynamic conditions.

JJ
ps and while a circuit breaker can eliminate the problems fuses introduce, they can't 'respond' (commit hari-kari) any where near as fast, and they contribute their own set of sonic consequences as well, and around and around we go…  
So I opt for tweako fuses as an easy to experiment with solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back