New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #4,081 of 9,484
  I just did some checking online and it seems that fuse rolling is fairly common now. I had no idea. In any case, there are numerous positive reviews so I look forward to hearing how these Red fuses sound. 

In the meantime, that reminds me that I need to do some research into which surge suppressor I should get for the Rag and the future Yggy so I can put it on my Xmas list :)

Tube rolling.... Fuse rolling.... Next it'll be wine rolling....

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4,083 of 9,484

Hey Mr.7ryder in Seattle ,

There is something to that Fuse thing :  I took the Fuses out of my Service Panel which caused my Wife to Scream Bloody Murder in the AM when her hair dryer , tooth brush , toaster oven , TV , microwave & Garage Door opener all stopped working at the exact same time !! , I heard her screaming at the Builder , poor man , having to listen to all that on a Sunday early AM .   When she took off for a Breakfast at …. the noise floor in my house dropped to the lowest level in years ,  Fuses ? who'dve guessed ? 

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  Are we gonna now have Audiophile Grade Fuses ? , looks like it !!

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4,084 of 9,484

There is something to that Fuse thing :  I took the Fuses out of my Service Panel which caused my Wife to Scream Bloody Murder in the AM when her hair dryer , tooth brush , toaster oven , TV , microwave & Garage Door opener all stopped working at the exact same time !! , I heard her screaming at the Builder , poor man , having to listen to all that on a Sunday early AM .   When she took off for a Breakfast at …. the noise floor in my house dropped to the lowest level in years ,  Fuses ? who'dve guessed ? 

Tony in Michigan 

LOL. The other good news is you didn't need to buy a $90 fuse to reduce the noise floor.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,085 of 9,484
I received the Rok Thursday afternoon, and the HE-6, HD-800, and GS-1000e borrowed from the Cable Co. I haven't had time until now because of work, but hopefully soon I'll be able to compare them, along with my LCD-X.

I'll be using my PWD MkII to compare between the headphones, Rok and AGD M9. It'll be like a Mortal Kombat tournament for the setup that best fits me, and I'll share my findings when all is said and done.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #4,086 of 9,484
Power tweaks are the dark side of audio these days. Lets keep the thread away from such divisive topics.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #4,087 of 9,484
I understand the skepticism, I was of that opinion myself.  Perhaps not quite as acerbicly stated, but I didn't even want to believe.  
I mean a fuse, making a change?  
Come ON…

Until I heard it for myself.

I could continue in this vein, but to those who already KNOW, it's unnecessary (preaching to the choir), and to those who have defined such possibilities as nonsense, impossible, snake oil, voo-doo, etc. well, there is very little point in sharing my experiences without direct personal experience on your part.

And I will experiment with fuses etc. on my Rok, just to hear what (if any) changes result from my curiosity and willingness to find out.

So enjoy your music, as I certainly will as well.

JJ  :thumb

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #4,088 of 9,484

Tony in Michigan 

Good one!  BTW, I'm not endorsing fuse rolling. I tried it once or twice and didn't hear any difference and neither did my wife, so that was that! :wink:

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #4,089 of 9,484
  Good one!  BTW, I'm not endorsing fuse rolling. I tried it once or twice and didn't hear any difference and neither did my wife, so that was that! :wink:

Good for you. Whether there's a difference or not is immaterial if we can't, ourselves, tell a difference. There are some things that may annoy the heck out of someone else, but I find okay, and vice-versa.

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #4,091 of 9,484
  Until I heard it for myself.

Because someone's personal anecdote is always more credible than science and common sense. /s

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #4,094 of 9,484
I use the following in guiding my path to personal auditory happiness:

1. follow loosely anecdotes of others, look for trends and convergence, note divergence too
2. attend meets when possible and listen to a lot of systems
3. measurements - JA at stereophile, Tyll's and my own using a dScope
4. make acquisition and listen in my own space for long periods of time
5. try to avoid influence of expectation bias
6. understand variances in human auditory systems between individuals
7. understand variances in individual auditory preferences
8. achieve own happy place and don't worry what others think of my decisions

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #4,095 of 9,484
  I received the Rok Thursday afternoon, and the HE-6, HD-800, and GS-1000e borrowed from the Cable Co. I haven't had time until now because of work, but hopefully soon I'll be able to compare them, along with my LCD-X.

I'll be using my PWD MkII to compare between the headphones, Rok and AGD M9. It'll be like a Mortal Kombat tournament for the setup that best fits me, and I'll share my findings when all is said and done.

Hello, I tried the similar setup. The Rok does pair well with both the HD 800 and LCD-X. The only problem I'm encountering is that the 800's are dominating my listening time over the X's. I really want to like them both equally with the Rok but it ain't happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back