New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #3,841 of 9,484
Hello, I don't post on here much as I just mainly lurk but I have a question. I own a Ragnarok as I was selected as a Beta tester and love it. I'm using both Sennheiser HD800's and LCD-X's with it. The question I have is would I prefer the Sennheiser HDVD 800 over it with either of those headphones? I bought the HDVD 800 as a package deal and curious if anyone has any experience with both. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,842 of 9,484
Only you can determine whether you prefer one over the other. Why not listen and tell us what you think?

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3,844 of 9,484
I can't say for certain but what I would do in your case is research the amps that many have said were bested by the Rag, then research whether those had bested/lost out to the HDVD 800. Then you can then deduce whether the Rag should be better than the HDVD 800. I think the Rag will be better though, and I wouldn't waste time researching it.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,845 of 9,484
I got my Ragnarok yesterday, and I am very pleased. Question for the house though, is it common practice to 'double up' with headphones and loudspeakers and the same time? The Ragnarok is really the first time i've tried to do this with my current setup, which is LCD-2s and Zu Audio Essence bookshelf speakers. I'm still going through my Peachtree iNova for my DAC, and I haven't yet made my setup balanced. It adds a bit of oomph, but I can't tell if I like it or not. 

I guess it depends more on what the combo is, but it definitely makes for a unique listening experience with open cans like the LCD-2s and a nice pair of high-end bookshelf speakers. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,846 of 9,484
  I got my Ragnarok yesterday, and I am very pleased. Question for the house though, is it common practice to 'double up' with headphones and loudspeakers and the same time? The Ragnarok is really the first time i've tried to do this with my current setup, which is LCD-2s and Zu Audio Essence bookshelf speakers. I'm still going through my Peachtree iNova for my DAC, and I haven't yet made my setup balanced. It adds a bit of oomph, but I can't tell if I like it or not. 

I guess it depends more on what the combo is, but it definitely makes for a unique listening experience with open cans like the LCD-2s and a nice pair of high-end bookshelf speakers. 

Since the speaker outputs and the balanced headphone outputs on the Ragnarok are paralleled, it's probably not recommended due to the different gain required by the speakers and headphones.  Single-ended headphone outputs are a different story but you'd be missing the 'magic'.

Before reading your post I didn't know that Zu Audio made the Essence in a bookshelf version.  I have Zu Essence floorstanders myself.  I've been considering the Ragnarok for a possible future purchase but since I currently have three power amps in rotation it's not a high priority.  I am looking forward to the release of the Yggdrasil, though.  I definitely see that as a purchase for next year.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3,847 of 9,484

Since the speaker outputs and the balanced headphone outputs on the Ragnarok are paralleled, it's probably not recommended due to the different gain required by the speakers and headphones.  Single-ended headphone outputs are a different story but you'd be missing the 'magic'.

Before reading your post I didn't know that Zu Audio made the Essence in a bookshelf version.  I have Zu Essence floorstanders myself.  I've been considering the Ragnarok for a possible future purchase but since I currently have three power amps in rotation it's not a high priority.  I am looking forward to the release of the Yggdrasil, though.  I definitely see that as a purchase for next year.

It'll be at least a little longer until I can make use of the balanced headphone output, so i'll experiment a little until then. If anything, it's like listening to the LCD-2s with slightly more bass and a slightly wider sound stage so far. I'm sure there are some drawbacks, but I haven't been able to pick them out with my ears yet.

I don't know the whole story behind the Zu Essence bookshelves, but I do know that I am somewhat lucky to have picked them up. I was keeping my eye on Zu's line for a while, looking to purchase some Omens, when I noticed they were set to release a bookshelf ver of the Essence. It was way out of my price range, though. I was close to picking up the Omens, but one day I saw Zu's eBay account had a pair of Essences with a special cosmic carbon finish that was one of the first pairs off the line, and was used in house for testing purposes, and demoed at an audio show. I managed to snag that pair at a huge discount, which made me extremely happy indeed. I don't think they offered the Essence bookshelf model for very long on their site, either. Maybe a period of less than a year? 

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #3,848 of 9,484

a good thing* to do with open headphones is to run speakers at the same time, and point them at your ears to augment the open phones... really improves the layering

* this may be subjective.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #3,849 of 9,484
  I can't say for certain but what I would do in your case is research the amps that many have said were bested by the Rag, then research whether those had bested/lost out to the HDVD 800. Then you can then deduce whether the Rag should be better than the HDVD 800. I think the Rag will be better though, and I wouldn't waste time researching it.

So hard to do when we often can't find good audio dealers, let alone ones that carry high-end headphones. :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,850 of 9,484

Purrin made a good comparison of HD 800 amps on his site, but links to it aren't allowed here.  Try googling "hd800 amp ragnarok" and looking about 6 links down.. Best amps for Sennheiser HD800.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,851 of 9,484

Purrin made a good comparison of HD 800 amps on his site, but links to it aren't allowed here.  Try googling "hd800 amp ragnarok" and looking about 6 links down.. Best amps for Sennheiser HD800.

Of course, my immediate reaction was why aren't links allowed. Now I see (small parts of the story). Thanks!

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #3,852 of 9,484
An isolation transformer is different still; it's basically a transformer in a box. It takes AC in and spits AC out with no direct connection between the AC wires that the transformer plugs into (what it does with the ground depends on the type of isolation transformer and ground lifting (or not)). The idea as I understand it is to largely eliminate DC noise from the AC line and to provide isolation from the AC line. Isolation transformers then have a secondary benefit of allowing components to instantaneously draw substantial current without drawing that current from the wall outlet. Depending on the transformer design, one can also have separate power feeds from the transformer. In order to provide these features and to be able to deliver something approaching wall current (15-20A, though high-current and whole-house isolation transformers are also available), it requires a very large and heavy transformer. Being able to deliver 15A continually probably runs you something in the 50 pound+ range and you start getting into hundreds (or thousands) of dollars.

Often filtering and surge suppression would be combined with an isolation transformer, either in the same box or by chaining the devices together. 

An Audio Grade isolation transformer MUST be grounded.
If you draw current from the isolation transformer, you will draw current from your wall outlet.
The manufacturer should be able to provide some noise rejection specs, ideally noise attenuation graphs, attenuation WRT frequency.
Most manufacturers engineer in noise suppression via one or two electrostatic shields.

Many also include a surge suppressor network.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,853 of 9,484
^ Darn. I thought we were on to an "energy out of nowhere" device there for a moment.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #3,854 of 9,484
So for those of us lucky enough to have hands on experience with our Rok's, I have a few questions…

When listening to your headphones (which ones?), what gain and where is the vol control set?

I'll be able to run the Rok and my Mojo at the same time so I'll be able to notice 'differences'.
But I want it to 'settle in' first.  Which I must say is progressing quite nicely.

Also my old 'habit' of keeping the vol control in the 'sweet spot' is now completely unnecessary.
This kinda takes some getting used to…

JJ

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #3,855 of 9,484

Audeze LCD 3F, gain middle,  12 o'clock volume
Fostex TH900, gain middle, 11 o'clock
Hifiman HE500, gain highest, 12 o' clock 

These are lower volume levels than what i have generally observed in the Head-fi threads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back