New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3,616 of 9,484
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3,618 of 9,484
  So I pulled out the fuses tonight just to check those before sending it back to Schiit, and one of them was burnt and obviously done for. Replacing that should fix the problem I assume? It's a 3A 250V fuse, pretty cheap on Amazon, may just do that before sending it off if that should fix it.

Welly you could try just replacing the fuse -but- if something downstream (load) was drawing enough current [short] to burn that fuse then if that problem is not resolved it wll likely just do it again. A bad cap or some other short is not going to fix itself. Get a RA and send that bad boy in so they can put some fix on it.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3,619 of 9,484
Hate to break up the Ragnarok love train, but unfortunately I have some very bad news concerning mine. It has completely died. I was listening to music with it via the speaker output, at about 2 o'clock on the volume knob on high gain, so nothing too loud, and had only been listening for about 45 minutes when it shut off and I began smelling smoke, and while I may not be an electrical engineer, even I know that's a big uh-oh.

I let it cool off for 30 minutes thinking it may have just gotten too hot, but after that time it was still not able to power back on, this thing is completely dead. I'm very disappointed that thing has died less than 2 months after I received it as a Beta tester. I'm not sure if any changes have been made since the Beta phase, but quite clearly 2 months life span is unacceptable for an amp of this price and one that I was hoping to keep for a long time (10+ years was my plan), so I felt obligated to tell everyone as I had nothing but positives to say about the Ragnarok until this point.

Being that this is my first Schiit product, I am not sure how their customer service is, but I have e-mailed Jason and will update this thread when I know more.

Your tone is really hostile for someone who participated in a beta and still owns said unit. Poor form, IMO. Go through the proper channels before lambasting a company publicly. Surely the earlier delivery and cheaper price (for you) has earned them more courtesy than this.

So I pulled out the fuses tonight just to check those before sending it back to Schiit, and one of them was burnt and obviously done for. Replacing that should fix the problem I assume? It's a 3A 250V fuse, pretty cheap on Amazon, may just do that before sending it off if that should fix it.

Again, this should be handled through the proper channels. Asking a bunch of forum goers about a completely unique amplifier instead of the person who designed it, isn't going to help you.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3,620 of 9,484
Welly you could try just replacing the fuse -but- if something downstream (load) was drawing enough current [short] to burn that fuse then if that problem is not resolved it wll likely just do it again. A bad cap or some other short is not going to fix itself. Get a RA and send that bad boy in so they can put some fix on it.

Yea I would send the beta unit back, and let the tech guys figure out what went wrong. Sorry about your luck mate, hope your Rag is fixed and returned to you soon.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3,621 of 9,484
Schiit will make good on it.  Their CS is top notch, and they actually are interested in how and why things fail.  It makes them better.  The amp is only the most tangible part of what your $1499 bought... the value is in the people backing the product, the innovation in it, and the no bullschiit.

I hope you post a long, deliriously happy response when they fix it.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,623 of 9,484

A couple of things about this.

Something in the amp made the fuse blow.
If the fuse died due to infant mortality then replacing it 'might' bring things back up without further damage.

But if there was a component failure which popped the fuse, replacing it could do further damage to the amp, and make diagnosing the orignial problem more complex.

And if the inside of the fuse is "burnt" (as in all black and explody looking) that indicates a high current draw, enough so that the fuse's internal wire 'evaporated' (did its job) but the source of the 'surge' of current that "burnt" the fuse, remains.  
So replacing the fuse and powering back up will just pop the fuse again and possibly due additional damage as well.

But in the big picture, you'll most likely get sent a 'new' unit, especially if the fuse truly got toasted.

JJ

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #3,625 of 9,484

Smoke ?  , smoke = problem , stop right there , don't go further .  

Hello Sir Goldendarko ,

Send it back , kept the boxes I hope , take a break from all this , you have a warranty , they'll take care of you .  
Some little part failed , should be clear to you if you step back and reason on it .  
   I'm in the Auto Industry where parts fail , we accept about 2 failed parts per million but plenty of times parts fail more frequently .  Your amp ran for quite a while so it must be a good working design ! 
  Still , you bought an early unit that should be ok but early units don't have the luxury of everyone else doing the grunt work of proof testing or durability testing to reveal the bit that is fragile , too fragile for real world functioning , you and your experience will be a benefit for future purchasers who won't suffer the same result .
  Schiit , as a Company , don't "Burn their Customers" , you have that in your favor , and you have all us Headphone people pulling for you and a resolution to your problem , I'm sure Schiit are anxiously waiting to get your Amp on the Bench to learn it's problem or problems , they need this as much or more than you need it , they have future productions to protect from your units failure . 
  Be a good lad , keep everyone posted on this , send the Amp in quickly and get it resolved .  

Tony in Michigan

ps .   disappointment is hard , I'd be trusting here , I think you were , that's why you purchased from the Schiit people , isn't it ? , they will earn your trust , again ! 

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #3,626 of 9,484

Smoke ?  , smoke = problem , stop right there , don't go further .  

Hello Sir Goldendarko ,

Send it back , kept the boxes I hope , take a break from all this , you have a warranty , they'll take care of you .  
Some little part failed , should be clear to you if you step back and reason on it .  
   I'm in the Auto Industry where parts fail , we accept about 2 failed parts per million but plenty of times parts fail more frequently .  Your amp ran for quite a while so it must be a good working design ! 
  Still , you bought an early unit that should be ok but early units don't have the luxury of everyone else doing the grunt work of proof testing or durability testing to reveal the bit that is fragile , too fragile for real world functioning , you and your experience will be a benefit for future purchasers who won't suffer the same result .
  Schiit , as a Company , don't "Burn their Customers" , you have that in your favor , and you have all us Headphone people pulling for you and a resolution to your problem , I'm sure Schiit are anxiously waiting to get your Amp on the Bench to learn it's problem or problems , they need this as much or more than you need it , they have future productions to protect from your units failure . 
  Be a good lad , keep everyone posted on this , send the Amp in quickly and get it resolved .  

Tony in Michigan

ps .   disappointment is hard , I'd be trusting here , I think you were , that's why you purchased from the Schiit people , isn't it ? , they will earn your trust , again ! 

You said it. Sure as Schiit. :)

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,627 of 9,484
Your tone is really hostile for someone who participated in a beta and still owns said unit. Poor form, IMO. Go through the proper channels before lambasting a company publicly. Surely the earlier delivery and cheaper price (for you) has earned them more courtesy than this.

Again, this should be handled through the proper channels. Asking a bunch of forum goers about a completely unique amplifier instead of the person who designed it, isn't going to help you.

Maxvla,

Not sure why you said my tone is really hostile, clearly I am disappointed that a $1700 amp failed within 2 months though, but I think that's understandable. That being said I have followed the proper channels and Schiit has already responded with an RMA for me to send the amp back. I was only posting here to keep others aware of potential problems and also to find out potential solutions, including what I've learned about the fuses from other posters here, which is the point of any online community, a give and take of knowledge and information on something we are all mutually invested in. Sorry if you took my comments about my issue as "lambasting" Schiit, I still think it is a great amplifier, and will plan to keep the repaired one when I get it back, but it's something I think others should be aware of.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #3,628 of 9,484
Shall I break it down for you?

Hate to break up the Ragnarok love train, but unfortunately I have some very bad news concerning mine. It has completely died. I was listening to music with it via the speaker output, at about 2 o'clock on the volume knob on high gain, so nothing too loud, and had only been listening for about 45 minutes when it shut off and I began smelling smoke, and while I may not be an electrical engineer, even I know that's a big uh-oh.

I let it cool off for 30 minutes thinking it may have just gotten too hot, but after that time it was still not able to power back on, this thing is completely dead. I'm very disappointed that thing has died less than 2 months after I received it as a Beta tester. I'm not sure if any changes have been made since the Beta phase, but quite clearly 2 months life span is unacceptable for an amp of this price and one that I was hoping to keep for a long time (10+ years was my plan), so I felt obligated to tell everyone as I had nothing but positives to say about the Ragnarok until this point.

Being that this is my first Schiit product, I am not sure how their customer service is, but I have e-mailed Jason and will update this thread when I know more.

You state that you are not an electrical engineer, but you assure us twice that it is indeed completely dead. You break up the 'love train' as if you are bringing us back to reality.

Schiit's beta was a real beta, so naturally there is some risk (that you agreed to) with beta units. Those who couldn't handle a bump in the road shouldn't have signed up. So, a beta unit had an early failure, imagine that!

The last sentence reads to me (after the other hostile stuff) 'This public post will ensure they do what they said they would do, otherwise everyone will know my wrath'.

If this was your not your intention, learn to use less inflammatory language.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #3,630 of 9,484
  Does anyone hear a mechanical hum (thank you for the correction Jason) when the Ragnarok is about 2 feet away from you?

Not on mine. Nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back