New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,601 of 9,484
  My Rag is still working and smoke free.  My concern here would be that I don't want to babysit the amp...I do leave it on when I'm not around.  Bad idea?  

From the owner's manual:

Can I leave Ragnarok on on all the time?
We really recommend you power down the amp if you aren’t going to use it for an hour or more. Ragnarok uses quite a bit of power even at idle—about 80 watts.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,602 of 9,484
'Not around' means I'm off in the kitchen for 10-30 min or talking to my family...I do shut it off if I'm out of the house/asleep.  If I do use it as a speaker amp -- I have Sierra 2s incoming -- it will be on a lot for background noise.  

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,603 of 9,484
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,604 of 9,484

Yggy , on schedule , ok , good .

Someone , Sir Jason I think , mentioned 3,500 sq. feet dedicated to Ragy & Yggy production , seems right to me , considering .
In the Car business we work years in advance of getting products to market , the short time frames are refreshing to read about .
This $2k DAC price point is heating up , the Yggy timing is right , starting headphone people are moving up the escalator to higher performance levels with improved DACs shining ever more accurate light on the performance of Cables , Amps & headphones all .
  I admire Schiit's risk taking in venturing up into the territory where the Big Digital Guys like Igor Levin live and work , I'm a bit anxious to see how this turns out .  

Tony in Michigan

[size=x-small]ps. gotta love the [/size]spirt of the Californians , going up against the Giants like they are ; the small guy can knuckle down , make a good product and live to tell about it , I think people admire that sort of thing [size=x-small] [/size]

I don't think that Schiit is targeting the "Giants", per se, I think that they're working upward from providing high quality cost effective audio products to the popular low end market.  They're primarily bringing their customer base with them.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,606 of 9,484
  My Rag is still working and smoke free.  My concern here would be that I don't want to babysit the amp...I do leave it on when I'm not around.  Bad idea?  

Also, my Rag does have a slight hum, probably transformer related (what else could it be?).  Not noticeable unless you put your ear up to it, in that case it is very obvious.  Not a problem for me unless this in an early indication of something else.

Jason said that they solved the transformer hum. You should contact Schiit for some help.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,607 of 9,484
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,609 of 9,484

Jason said that they solved the transformer hum. You should contact Schiit for some help.

Audible hum (via the headphones) we have none in shipping units, as noted.

However, mechanical hum from the transformer? Sure, if you put your ear next to the chassis, you'll likely hear some. Normal.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3,610 of 9,484
  My cherry wood racks with Watco oil rub finish are actually darkening with age.  Very pleasing.

I live in Ireland - Tax of 30% plus price of shipping those units would rule me out of buying one. I'll have to find something local

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #3,611 of 9,484
So I pulled out the fuses tonight just to check those before sending it back to Schiit, and one of them was burnt and obviously done for. Replacing that should fix the problem I assume? It's a 3A 250V fuse, pretty cheap on Amazon, may just do that before sending it off if that should fix it.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3,612 of 9,484
I live in Ireland - Tax of 30% plus price of shipping those units would rule me out of buying one. I'll have to find something local

Whoa.  It nuked my reputation message to you for being too long (100 characters max).  I was saying that I'd stick with oil rub finished wooden racks if you can find it locally.  Very esthetic.  OTOH, bulk freight (boat) tho heavy may not be all that expensive.  Good luck.

Ireland, huh?  Explains the cabbage moniker. 
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,613 of 9,484
So I pulled out the fuses tonight just to check those before sending it back to Schiit, and one of them was burnt and obviously done for. Replacing that should fix the problem I assume? It's a 3A 250V fuse, pretty cheap on Amazon, may just do that before sending it off if that should fix it.

Smoke came out of your amp.......I wouldn't replace the fuse! :xf_eek:

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,614 of 9,484
Audible hum (via the headphones) we have none in shipping units, as noted.

However, mechanical hum from the transformer? Sure, if you put your ear next to the chassis, you'll likely hear some. Normal.

Yep, what I'm assuming. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back