New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,556 of 9,484

Very curious about how the G works with Ragnarok. Since that is exactly what I'm gonna be listening to. Impressions on this combination?

Sorry, I have nothing interesting to say about the Gungnir as a dac on the Rag.  I've not run any comparison of the Gungnir with other dacs using the R.  I only have the Oppo BDP-103 dac to really test it against, and I'd need to drag in in from the TV to do so...I'm expecting to move on the Yggy, so I don't really want to put in the time to compare right now.  As I mentioned before, I'm a still a bit shocked about how much better G/R is than G/M.  If the Y is a similar improvement over G I'm as R over G, this is going to be good.

The degree of improvement from the R also makes  me a bit suspect about the M (and the G?) as early products out the door for Schiit,  maybe unfairly so.   

I'm also still working on why chain, not sure about either the HD650 or the LCD-X, so I can't pin down how the G is doing yet.  

The G was sweeter than the Oppo BDP-103 using M and the HD650 when trying out the G when I first go it, but not hugely so.  But that may have been the M and HD650.  I've not revisited the issue since.    

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #3,557 of 9,484

If it's your end game, get a balanced HD 800 cable. :)

It will certainly have enough power SE, but you'll be missing out on what makes the whole topology special.

^^ What he said.

I'm not going to buy any more headphones that cannot easily accommodate balanced. The SE output on Rag is very good - but after you've steeped in that Circlotron goodness, SE isn't good enough.

Is balanced that significantly better over SE output? I currently use a hardwired endorphin single-ended cable on my HD 800s. I would have to send it in to get the cable removed, since it is hardwired.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #3,558 of 9,484

Is balanced that significantly better over SE output? I currently use a hardwired endorphin single-ended cable on my HD 800s. I would have to send it in to get the cable removed, since it is hardwired.

this topic is getting beaten to death in one of the other Ragnarok threads.

you can probably just get that cable reterminated with XLR rather than rewired completely... whether or not it's worth it to you depends on whether you trust Schiit's opinion on their amp design.  they claim that balanced is "the one true path" and that SE is just there for convenience, and they made it sound as good as they could.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,560 of 9,484
Nov 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #3,561 of 9,484

As a 'proponent' for balanced operation, let me add that while in some cases it may only make a 'small' difference, it is generally considered the preferred method and is the most scaleable as well.

That is, if you want to get the most out of the 800's.

JJ
ps I have the endorphin cable hardwired to my 800's.  And as was noted previously it should only take a new connector.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #3,562 of 9,484
No buzzing on anything we're shipping. Of course, circlotrons are sensitive to noise on the AC power line, so turning off dimmers, or not plugging in next to a computer (or investing in a filter or isolation transformer) may be necessary in some cases.

It does seem some people are remedying this issue with power filters. Thanks for the confirmation Jason!

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3,563 of 9,484

Love my dimmers , gotta have my dimmers !    

I'll go back to my 1885 c. JVC 50watt Receiver's headphone jack before I'll give up my dimmers ! , it'll do phono carts too .  

Now I'm starting to get the Jitters  , 

will YGGY have noise issues too ? , from dimmers ? 

I hope you don't start telling us our compact fluorescents are causing noise .

Tony in Michigan ( the home of Rock & Roll ) 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,564 of 9,484

No buzzing on anything we're shipping. Of course, circlotrons are sensitive to noise on the AC power line, so turning off dimmers, or not plugging in next to a computer (or investing in a filter or isolation transformer) may be necessary in some cases.

Could you recommend a size of isolation transformer suitable for the Rag? I have a 500VA one but the mjolnir, but I'm not sure if it's enough for the Rag?

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #3,566 of 9,484

this topic is getting beaten to death in one of the other Ragnarok threads.

you can probably just get that cable reterminated with XLR rather than rewired completely... whether or not it's worth it to you depends on whether you trust Schiit's opinion on their amp design.  they claim that balanced is "the one true path" and that SE is just there for convenience, and they made it sound as good as they could.

Your cable just needs to be re-terminated with a 4 pin male XLR. It should be cheap and easy.

Some say yes, others no. It's significant with the Rag because only the balanced output is circlotron.

Thanks for the information. Are there any good comparisons done with the Ragnarok comparing SE and balanced outputs yet?

As a 'proponent' for balanced operation, let me add that while in some cases it may only make a 'small' difference, it is generally considered the preferred method and is the most scaleable as well.

That is, if you want to get the most out of the 800's.

JJ
ps I have the endorphin cable hardwired to my 800's.  And as was noted previously it should only take a new connector.

Did you initially order a balanced cable, send your headphones in for the conversion, or change out the connector yourself? I'd be a bit worried that I would muck something up if I tried changing out the connector myself. And if I had to send in my headphones, it would most likely cost upwards of $100+ just for the conversion.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3,567 of 9,484
snip  
Did you initially order a balanced cable, send your headphones in for the conversion, or change out the connector yourself? I'd be a bit worried that I would muck something up if I tried changing out the connector myself. And if I had to send in my headphones, it would most likely cost upwards of $100+ just for the conversion.

I originally ordered a non-hardwired balanced cable.  Then I sent the cable and 800's in for the hardwire and mod job.

The 4 pin xlr connector he uses is modified and the space available is rather tight for all 4 wire sets that are terminated in the xlr connector.  I'd say if you are 'handy' with a soldering iron and have plenty of hands on experience it should be doable.  But it won't be an easy-peasy modification.

JJ

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #3,568 of 9,484
  I originally ordered a non-hardwired balanced cable.  Then I sent the cable and 800's in for the hardwire and mod job.

The 4 pin xlr connector he uses is modified and the space available is rather tight for all 4 wire sets that are terminated in the xlr connector.  I'd say if you are 'handy' with a soldering iron and have plenty of hands on experience it should be doable.  But it won't be an easy-peasy modification.

JJ

So you got the Ultra Mod as well?  Could you tell any difference after the Ultra Mod?

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,569 of 9,484
Oh yes…!

But this IS a double edged sword.

As the 'precision' of the 800 is 'increased' the rest of the system becomes the limiting factor in terms of satisfaction of the entire system.
IOW what I have found is that using this cable with mods (hardwire and his physical modification) to the 800's, along with 'suitable' upstream electronics, and the 'faults' or weaknesses of the 800's become a thing of the past.

An example of this increase in resolution and small signal dynamics is that the bass can become spectacular but not in a wowie zowie way.
When fed real low frequency musical signals the bass can reach down to the sub-sonic zone of thump.
Try this DSP trick
Add 3.5 to 4.5dB at 15Hz with a Q of 0.18 to a parametric filter in the DSP portion of your player (I use Media Center)

See if you can find music that reaches down that far…  :thump -> :thumb

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back