New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Sep 23, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #2,941 of 9,484

I know exactly what you mean. It would match my black Oppo player, black power conditioner, black Audeze LCD-X, black desktop monitor speakers...

But I believe I have read that Jason does not want to deal with multiple colors or other variations. The few black products that they sold a while back were an error on their supplier's end and Jason decided to sell them rather than send them back. So unless they happen to see that error again, I don't think anything other than silver brushed aluminum will be an option. But it's really not a big issue considering how good this thing sounds.

Can't imagine why audio companies would go with brushed aluminum ...

My monitor is black as are my Oppo and Marantz speaker amp. but I gave up trying to color co-ordinate gear a very long time ago - it just doesnt work. I just want Yggdrasil to sound good and that's it. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,943 of 9,484
Given the price to performance ratio (as it's been reported thus far), it's awfully difficult to fault Schiit for not providing color options. Personally, I only care about how it sounds - and I hope it actually sounds as good as it's being made out to be. The few early impressions have been promising to say the least. I Can't wait to hear it for myself! 

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,944 of 9,484
As Jason has said several times now, the demand for black Schiit is actually really low and wouldn't warrant the cost increase of making black cases. The one time it did happen was an accident from the supplier.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,945 of 9,484
It's fairly easy to paint anodized aluminum any color you like.  If you use a brush you wouldn't even have to disassemble the case.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,946 of 9,484
Limiting color is nothing new. It simplifies the the entie manufacturing process, cutting overhead and final customer cost.

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."
Remark by Henry Ford about his Model T in 1909.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,947 of 9,484
  Given the price to performance ratio (as it's been reported thus far), it's awfully difficult to fault Schiit for not providing color options. Personally, I only care about how it sounds

Yep. To paraphrase a million different aphorisms: Quality, Options, Price. If you're lucky, you can pick two. All three and it's probably too good to be true.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,948 of 9,484

Yep. To paraphrase a million different aphorisms: Quality, Options, Price. If you're lucky, you can pick two. All three and it's probably too good to be true.

In the tech world, we like to say "You have three options : Quick, Cheap, and correct. Pick 2." The story of Ragg and Yggy illustrates this law pretty well.

EDIT - spelling.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,950 of 9,484
Yes, yes, we all know they won't do it.  It is called wishful thinking, same way it was wishful thinking to have a Lyr with adjustable gain.  Things change and the market drives change.  If there is no market for it, so be it.  

Don't need to keep bringing up the "Jason said this" or "Jason said that" stuff, I get it and have read through all the threads.  They make equipment that they themselves would want to use and that is totally understandable, I would do the same in their position.

It may not even stop me from buying one anyways, but black would make it that much quicker of a decision, as right now I am judging between the Liquid Gold, Dark Star, GSX-MKII (maybe - lacking power for HE6 I have read) or the Schiit Facemelter (Ragnarok) for a solid state solution to drive LCD3's and HE-6's (future purchase).   I like black electronics and not the vintage style, just a preference nothing more.

Schiit definitely wins hands down from a price/technology standpoint and that is a major factor in all this, spousal appeasement is another.

So, with that said...just wish it came in black.  
deadhorse.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,951 of 9,484

1. purrin can you tell the man diffrences beetween EC-445  and Raggy and whats better amp for hd800? and is the price gap beetween them jusitfy the EC4-45 over the raggy?

I believe Purrin covered this a little ways back...

However, one thing I didn't see mentioned - Does the Rag have enough low end impact/punch with the HD800? I can deal with modding to bring the top end down a touch (running the Anax 2 mod currently), but there's no real way to give the HD800 enough "grunt" short of running it with the right amp. Unfortunately the 445 is out of my price range, so I can live with a little bit less microdetail retrieval.  

Could anyone comment on this? Preemptive thanks.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,952 of 9,484
Limiting color is nothing new. It simplifies the the entie manufacturing process, cutting overhead and final customer cost.

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."
Remark by Henry Ford about his Model T in 1909.

The Model T was originally offered in a number of colors. But once Ford got his production line spooled up, black was the only paint that would dry fast enough. A message from the Anorak Department - nothing to do with Ragnarok.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,953 of 9,484
  I believe Purrin covered this a little ways back...

However, one thing I didn't see mentioned - Does the Rag have enough low end impact/punch with the HD800? I can deal with modding to bring the top end down a touch (running the Anax 2 mod currently), but there's no real way to give the HD800 enough "grunt" short of running it with the right amp. Unfortunately the 445 is out of my price range, so I can live with a little bit less microdetail retrieval.  

Could anyone comment on this? Preemptive thanks.

The EC amps have a wee bit more heft on HD800, but Rag has better texture, articulation, clear transients. Sort of trading one thing for the other. From a statistical point of view, I've preferred the HD800 most on amps with output impedance from 2 to 8 ohms. I highly suspect it has something to do with output impedance. The Rag's output impedance is 0.03. That's about 100 times less than the output impedance of a typical EC amp.

What I can do I buy some 1-2 ohm resistors and put them in series with the HD800 and report back. Might be interesting.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,954 of 9,484
A "wee bit" sounds quite tolerable given the other positive attributes. I just don't want to end up with a thin or weak sounding bass response. The resistor idea sounds interesting...looking forward to your impressions if you go through with it. Appreciated.  

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,955 of 9,484
Quote:

The EC amps have a wee bit more heft on HD800, but Rag has better texture, articulation, clear transients. Sort of trading one thing for the other. From a statistical point of view, I've preferred the HD800 most on amps with output impedance from 2 to 8 ohms. I highly suspect it has something to do with output impedance. The Rag's output impedance is 0.03. That's about 100 times less than the output impedance of a typical EC amp.

What I can do I buy some 1-2 ohm resistors and put them in series with the HD800 and report back. Might be interesting.

That's an interesting theory, it will be very interesting to hear the results if you test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back