New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 8, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #2,071 of 9,484
Yeah, sometimes looks a bit like this really!

Anyhow, maybe that'll incite someone to put this thread back out of misery, whatever, anything about iggy!

Yeah, that's the thing ! I kinda wonder why there have been no "half-reviews", initial impressions of at least the Rag after Newport. People must have been sworn to silence 
confused_face.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #2,072 of 9,484
Hahaha, no worries, I am used to the discriminatory humour from some members and the recent posts in this thread have certainly shown that there's no limit to being nasty (that is until you get banned)
wink.gif

from some members
wink.gif

Laisser pisser le mérinos
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #2,073 of 9,484

At the risk of getting back on topic...

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Ygg proto at either the LA or SF meets which are coming in the next couple of months. Hopefully it will be available for me to give myself for Christmas. This year. Right, Jason?

Having read Jason's last chapter in "Schiit happened" I'm beginning to really look forward to the Ygg. And by then my Rag should be well broken in.

BTW, to the best of my understanding, Rag is like any Class A/B amp in that it always starts in Class A (those crucial first few watts) then transitions to the more electrically-efficient Class B when power demand (from the speakers, almost always) increases. So the vast majority of headphones should (well, probably) run exclusively in Class A. 'Cept for the HE-6 and maybe a couple of other watt-suckers. Perhaps Jason would share with us the A-to-B transition point at the various impedances?

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #2,074 of 9,484
No speculation here:  http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/06/five-new-pieces-of-schiit-land-at-t-h-e-newport-beach-2014/

It’s not all small boxes ’round here though. What apparently started life as Schiit’s most powerful headphone amplifier to date has blossomed into a fully-fledged integrated. The Ragnarok is le mot juste for audio folk wanting to straddle both two-channel and head-fi worlds. In the loudspeaker space you get 60 wpc into 8 Ohms and 100wpc into 4 Ohms. For headphones there are balanced and single-ended outputs with some eye-watering grunt: 15W into 32 ohms, 9.6W into 50 ohms, 1.6W into 300 ohms, 800mW into 600 ohms.  Compare that with the Lyr 2′s 6W into 32 Ohms, 4W into 50 Ohms, 660mW into 300 Ohms and 330mW into 600 Ohms and you’ll see that Ragnarok comes on as more than twice the beast.
The Ragnarok’s major point of difference is microprocessor-managened power supply. US$1699 drops it right into Peachtree and Wyred4Sound integrated territory except the Schiit is (high bias) Class A/B and more specifically tailored to tango with the majority of headphones.
It’s biased into Class A to about a 2W level into 8 ohms, or about 8W/32 ohms in more headphone-friendly terms” says Stoddard.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,075 of 9,484
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,076 of 9,484
I emailed Schiit to see if they were taking deposits for the Ragnarok or at least just a waiting list for notification of availability .. not doing either at this time was the reply ..I am wondering what the initial demand is going to do to the supply or if they are still quite away out in time before for offering it to the general public ..

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2,078 of 9,484
Jun 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,079 of 9,484
Someone with LCD-3's who has heard the Ragnarok, please comment :D

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,080 of 9,484
Never thought I would see a Schiit thread jump the shark like this one did...

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,082 of 9,484
  No speculation here:  http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/06/five-new-pieces-of-schiit-land-at-t-h-e-newport-beach-2014/

It’s biased into Class A to about a 2W level into 8 ohms, or about 8W/32 ohms in more headphone-friendly terms” says Stoddard.

So it means that when using an HD 800, it would operate in class A?

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,083 of 9,484
  It’s biased into Class A to about a 2W level into 8 ohms, or about 8W/32 ohms in more headphone-friendly terms” says Stoddard.

So it means that when using an HD 800, it would operate in class A?

If its putting out 8 watts RMS of Class A power into 32 ohms, you can rest assured that it will be running Class A with basically any headphone that exists currently, even the HE-6, maybe unless you listen at completely unreasonable volumes

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #2,084 of 9,484
  Someone with LCD-3's who has heard the Ragnarok, please comment :D

I used my personal LCD-3s with the Rag at the March Orange County meet. With all the usual caveats about noisy meet conditions, I found the Rag to address the only real issue I have with the Mjolnir - that is, the sound can be a bit lean in the mid-bass. Bottom line, I'm ordering the Rag as soon as it goes on sale.

PS- I agree the thread has kind of self-destructed, but that's what happens in the "silly season" when we know what's coming but it ain't here yet...

Also at the March meet I heard the Chord Hugo with the latest Kingsound stats and solid state amp. And while the Hugo is a big chunk of change and looks like it was designed to appeal to teenage girls as a phone accessory, you won't hear me saying anything bad about the sound.

Darn, OT again. Just when I was doing so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back