New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,141 of 9,484
Soon as their metal supplier gets its act together. Jason doesn't know so he can't tell us.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,143 of 9,484
  I don't think a DAC designed to pair with an universal integrated amp has volume control though.  :)

Which is why I said "it'd be nice if there were two versions"........  I fully realize Rag and Ygg are designed to be complementary.  A "+" version with the added features would reach a larger target audience, mainly those who aren't planning to buy the amp but would still buy a top class DAC from Schiit.  But, hey, maybe Jason has really limited production capacity for these and doesn't really want to target it to anybody besides Rag buyers.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,144 of 9,484
'Most Significant Trend:

DSD everywhere for everybody at every price point. Bluntly, the high-end and not-so-high-end) word has gone forth and it's this: "If you haven't got DSD capabilities, then you're not a serious player in digital audio."'

- Chris Martens, CES 2014 coverage, The Absolute Sound April 2014, page 44.

With all sympathies for Mike's attitude towards DSD, Schiit might be wondering if they'll be handicapping themselves by omitting it from the Ygg. Sure, us fanboys will probably buy it anyway, but the wider high-end market might be put off.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,145 of 9,484
They said the same thing when SACD was coming around. You know how that turned out.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,147 of 9,484
For those who can't wait for the Yggy, like maybe me, the tricked out Bifrost is probably plenty good enough. Check out Darko's review:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/03/schiit-audio-bifrost-uber-w-gen-2-usb-dac-review/

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,148 of 9,484
Still waiting on metal? Check this out, they'll receive a black powder coated batch.

tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,149 of 9,484
  "I’d expect, realistically, that we will be shipping in April."

Sounds great! I'll have to get a loan then, haha.

Also, we need to open a poll for hybrid version tubes for ragnarok, I like Lyr, it doesn't take long from start to get the sound, I was thinking it's much worse than that, and so far on tube life it works, though I do find myself using the amp for like 10-12 hours a day.

I haven't done much tube rolling, but I know 300B is very popular today, and another someone is suggesting 12AX7

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,150 of 9,484
Hybrid Rag will almost assuredly use smaller tubes than you are mentioning. Also, smaller tubes tend to have longer life expectancy so using it for half a day every day will not be that big of a deal. Some small tubes have 10,000 hours or more.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,151 of 9,484
  For those who can't wait for the Yggy, like maybe me, the tricked out Bifrost is probably plenty good enough. .

Bifrost was fine for me until I got the Mjolnir which exposed its weaknesses. Gungnir  solved all, and so it is the only Schiit DAC I can recommend (for whatever that's worth) until the Ygg appears. Depending on your amp, YMMV.

Sounds great! I'll have to get a loan then, haha.

Also, we need to open a poll for hybrid version tubes for ragnarok,.

Last rumor I heard was 6SN7... but that was some time ago.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,152 of 9,484

Bifrost was fine for me until I got the Mjolnir which exposed its weaknesses. Gungnir  solved all, and so it is the only Schiit DAC I can recommend (for whatever that's worth) until the Ygg appears. Depending on your amp, YMMV

Which version Bifrost do/did you have - uber analog or original? I'm using the cheapo DAC built into my cheapo Yamaha A/V receiver right now, so my mileage may indeed vary from yours!

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,153 of 9,484
Ohh-kay. I can now say that we will have a fully cosmetic and fully functional Ragnarok at the OC meet. Don't get too excited--we only have a handful of top chassis, and some more qualification of the actual first article boards is required, but we're getting close...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,154 of 9,484
Great to hear, Jason. Been waiting for this for what 3 years now? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back