New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Dec 29, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #77 of 834

Quote:
Nice amp! I believe the LCD-2s can handle 15 watts, at which point they are blasting at 133 dbs...
basshead.gif

I think your comment is instructive since it seems most of us want the kind of SPLs that allow the orthos and 'stats to really shine at the dynamic extremes   Since most products have spec sheets, what specs should one use to arrive at the conclusion that a given headphone can handle Y amounts of power to produce X amount of loudness?  Isn't there a formula out there we can draw from and pray our math ability is still intact since its pretty much conventional arithmetics...I recall some posts mentioning a bit of "this and that" calculation approach but they involved speaker loads and power amps as a frame of reference.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #78 of 834
That is one pretty looking amplifier. Do you guys have a full-time in-house designer? Or do you engineers come up with the designs yourself? Whoever designs them sure has a Schiit-load of talent. HA PUNNY JOKE. Right. Give me that amp now! For free! Please? :)

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #79 of 834

Quote:

Doh! I just realized in the middle of the night that this is basically the same trick that can be used to bias certain op-amps into class A! See http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html I feel like a retard considering that I advocated and actually implemented a similar circuit (using resistors though on the output of the op-amp) in the M-Stage Matrix amp thread.

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #82 of 834
Quote:
My Sony XB700s will probably like this amp, 24 ohm impedance and 3000mW power handling.  Nothing I've got is really up to it and I was having a very hard time finding anything that had that much power and didn't cost a fortune.

Sorry, but that's downright ridiculous.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #84 of 834

Quote:
Quote:
My Sony XB700s will probably like this amp, 24 ohm impedance and 3000mW power handling.  Nothing I've got is really up to it and I was having a very hard time finding anything that had that much power and didn't cost a fortune.

I think Maverickronin is trying to be funny. Or a maverick ronin. He must be. My XB700 sound as crappy from my Sansa Clip+ mp3 player as from my Burson amp. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #87 of 834
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think Maverickronin is trying to be funny. Or a maverick ronin. He must be. My XB700 sound as crappy from my Sansa Clip+ mp3 player as from my Burson amp.

I'm not kidding.  They need a lot of power to sound good at decent volumes.  Of course a lot of people here will hate the sound sig on principle and completely dismiss them because of that.  They certianly aren't my main 'phones, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a lot of bass without disturbing the rest of the house and there isn't much else out there with the same sound sig.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #88 of 834
It's not just that, it's that the XB700 are the most efficient cans I own. They are even more efficient than most of my IEMs. I can't imagine them needing so much power. Your's must be the ultra limited-to-one 600ohm edition. :)

And I quote from the XB700 review here: "the MDR-XB700 is 24ohms [...] easiest headphone you could possibly power."

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #89 of 834
Subscribe! Very interested to hear what this amp can do for my HE-5LE's when I have them in hand again. I wonder if this l'il Schiit will be better at driving them-- rather easy-to-drive orthos-- than the Concerto?

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #90 of 834
Actually, higher impedance is often better than low impedance because it usually loads down an amp circuit and makes it behave.  An amp with sufficient voltage to give you the volume you want will usually be driving a high impedance 'phone properly.  Low impedance will give you absolute maximum noise, but that doesn't guarantee it's being driven properly.

Anyway, I'm usually not in the "amps are super important and you always need a super expensive amp with tons of power" camp.  Most of the 'phones I've owned were relatively insensitive to amping, only the K340s varied more from amp to amp.  I could be wrong.  It could be all in my head.  I haven't done any blind testing to prove my point, though I have done quite a bit of sighted testing.  I've observed that they sound better soft than they do loud, they tend to sound better louder on amps with more current capacity, and they sound quite different at loud volumes from different amps.  From this I've concluded that they need more power.  Feel free to tell me if you've got a better idea.  I admit that it doesn't make to much sense if you just look at the basic specs, but that 3000mW power handling doesn't really fit with the 106dB/mW either.  There's something odd going on and I lack most of the expertise and nearly all of the equipment necessary to divine the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back