NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Aug 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #871 of 2,741
Nice and yea i'm just giving you a hard time, bud :D.  What cans are you using with your Asgard 2?

K550s and SR255i. But the pre-amp capability was just as important to me as the headphone amp. I know that is not as big a factor with everyone else, but it is a strong consideration for purchasing the Asgard 2 for anyone who needs that. I spent more time and had more fun last night listening to my speakers and how the preamp affected the sound :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #872 of 2,741
Quote:
K550s and SR255i. But the pre-amp capability was just as important to me as the headphone amp. I know that is not as big a factor with everyone else, but it is a strong consideration for purchasing the Asgard 2 for anyone who needs that. I spent more time and had more fun last night listening to my speakers and how the preamp affected the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

That was the deciding factor in me getting the Asgard 2 (the pre-amp capability).

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #873 of 2,741
Quote:
That was the deciding factor in me getting the Asgard 2 (the pre-amp capability).

Can you use them with a traditional stereo receiver/amp?

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #875 of 2,741
I got a B Stock from Schiit on Amazon for $199 + $16 shipping.  When I got it there was some slight marks on the front, one noticeable one near the headphone port.  But all in all for $50 savings, I am very happy.  It also includes the same 5 Year Warranty, which is pretty important to me.  I am running an Ipod Touch 3g(320k files) > Pure 20 Dac > Asgard 2 > Hd 650 and I can hear a big improvement over a E17 that I was using before the Asgard 2 came in.  I also have the following Headphones to try out - Fidelio X1 and Amperior.  For IEMS I have a Grado GR10 - I am dying to test on the lo gain with these. 

For the Preamp I have an old Fisher Home Stereo that I will be using.  It is not the greatest system but will work for the time being.  I plan on upgrading to the AudioEngine A5+ in the future. 

I almost bit on a Asgard V1 as they sell in the $130 - $150 range on the Bay, but I'm glad I went with my gut and spent a lil more on the V2. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #877 of 2,741
Quote:
Only had part of yesterday, so far so good. I used it mostly as a preamp for my new Monoprice speakers, which are a fantastic value for $165. Today I plan to spend more time with them and my Beyer 990 250 ohm. Bear in mind right now my only source is my old M-audio Transit. I am saving my pennies for a Bifrost next

How do you connect the monoprice speakers to the A2?  I am assuming RCA to XLR?  I've never used XLR before, is there an input for each speaker?  On the picture of the back I just see1 XLR port. Please advise

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #878 of 2,741
Just wanted to chime in and say that the "synergy, pairing" or however you want to refer to it, is simply wonderful between the A2 and the hd650. I had doubts that the A2 could drive the hd650 to it's potential as it seems to scale nicely with more power. But in fact it's more than just about power for this pairing. The tone and timber just take on a wonderfully natural quality that makes for a hypnotic listen. 

Hard to beat this amp if you've got the hd650 and $250 to spend. Highly recommended. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #879 of 2,741
Aug 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #881 of 2,741
Quote:

Thank you, Byrnie! If you're thinking about getting the H6, do. You won't regret it!

If I get another pair of headphones my wife is going to kill me lol.  I have way too many as is.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #882 of 2,741
Quote:
How do you connect the monoprice speakers to the A2?  I am assuming RCA to XLR?  I've never used XLR before, is there an input for each speaker?  On the picture of the back I just see1 XLR port. Please advise

RCA to XLR. I recommend individual cables so you can position your speakers wherever. Like getting 2 of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2

The reason for needing 2 is that there is, like you mentioned, one XLR input per speaker.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #883 of 2,741
Stupid question I have the hd600's and was wondering if I should use the high or low gain to get the best sound?  I'm using the Bifrost and A2 and want to obtain the cleanest sound I can get. I'm using XP and have the A2 knob about 2/3's and foobar about less than half. It sounds good, but I'm sure you know a better way so please forgive my ignorance.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #884 of 2,741
  Stupid question I have the hd600's and was wondering if I should use the high or low gain to get the best sound?  I'm using the Bifrost and A2 and want to obtain the cleanest sound I can get. I'm using XP and have the A2 knob about 2/3's and foobar about less than half. It sounds good, but I'm sure you know a better way so please forgive my ignorance.

They're the same, it just uses a resistor for the low gain that gets switched on/off. You would just use whatever is more convenient/has enough volume for you. Some people like to adjust their volume pot a lot or a little. I asked something similar as well, no sweat!

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #885 of 2,741

Technically the cleanest, lowest distortion sound should be had with:
foobar and Windows volume controls at 100%, set to 24 bit output
A2 set to low gain (less distortion)

With that said, with my HD600s I can't hear any difference between low and high gain other than the obvious volume difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back