NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jul 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #721 of 2,741
I'm seriously considering putting my A2 up for sale. Vintage receivers have won me over. I have a second run, perfectly mint, hum free A2. If anyone is interested let me know. I'll put it up for sale later today.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #722 of 2,741
Do you have a voltometer?  If not, just throwing new parts at an amp will be frustrating way to try to fix it.  If you don't fix the damaged part, other parts may continuously break if the damaged part is providing out of spec voltage through the circuit.

Quote:
I got my new switches to try and fix my damaged one and put them in a few minutes ago.  Nothing....

The volume knob makes some scratchy sound for the first 5-10% of a turn, and then there is no sound
confused.gif

Oh well, it at least  I gave it a try, pretty disappointed....

***UPDATE***

Well I decided to hook it up to my SACD Player and see what happens, I was only using an iPod Nano to test it out and I have sound! It is in the scratchy part of the volume knob rotation and it is low, but it is pretty clear and goes away when I turn on "low gain" mode, but them if i turn it all the way up it makes some noise, with pops, but it makes noise. So...maybe I need to replace the volume knob as well? Hum....maybe the patient can be saved yet!

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #723 of 2,741
Do you have a voltometer?  If not, just throwing new parts at an amp will be frustrating way to try to fix it.  If you don't fix the damaged part, other parts may continuously break if the damaged part is providing out of spec voltage through the circuit.

The switches were obviously physically broken, so I know they needed replaced. As far as a voltmeter goes, yes I have one, but without knowing what voltages to look for and at what points they should read certain values it's kind of a crap shoot.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #724 of 2,741
Quote:
I'm seriously considering putting my A2 up for sale. Vintage receivers have won me over. I have a second run, perfectly mint, hum free A2. If anyone is interested let me know. I'll put it up for sale later today.

My dad raves of his Sansui QR-500 quadrophonic system. I can totally believe his hype because Japanese stereos were top of the line in the 70s and 80s. I wish I had your Sansui :p

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #726 of 2,741
Can somebody tell me how Asgard 2 compares to Matrix M Stage and Little Dot Mk iii.

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #727 of 2,741
Quote:
Can somebody tell me how Asgard 2 compares to Matrix M Stage and Little Dot Mk iii.

I have no experience with the M Stage or MK III, but here are some highlights of the A2:
-Bright amp -- Good for things with warmer sound sigs (think HD 650.  DT770 pairs nicely too)
-Improves instrument separation (has done this on all of the headphones I've tried with it..even the TF10s)
-More or less leaves the sound stage alone
-Inexpensive power

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #729 of 2,741
That's my baby. 
size]
 That stand is not made to hold that kind of weight, but I have no other place to put it. An ordinary rack will not take it.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #731 of 2,741
Quote:
Just got my shipping notice! I ordered at the end of May, so they're probably still fairly early into the backorders.

Oh sweet!!!  Great to hear they're are starting to ship out!

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #732 of 2,741
Quote:
Hey all,

I piss excellence!

All the best,
Jason

He didn't really say that I'm merely messing around but he does such a great job keeping us in the loop when he doesn't need to.  Man I'm excited they updated their Asgard 2 Status on their site:

STATUS: Clearing backorders. We expect to have all backorders cleared this week (7/8). Orders placed now should ship in 5-7 business days.

Jason and company:  You all really know how to turn a guy's week around :D.  So excited!

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #733 of 2,741
Hey guys,

1st of all i i just want to point out that I m new to the HiFi world (meaning: i have bought my 1st ever avr one month back)

I have been looking for a headphone amp since i will want to be able to "work" (by that i am reffering to gaming and random flac music listening) on the computer... when the avr will be playing something (loud) from another source (eg: the xbox or the cable/sat)

If i m not mistaking too much (from having read this thread and the 7 reviews on amazon) the A2 (A $$ Guard II) is a solid amp for non-30$ headphones. 
At the moment i have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 and one ATH-M50RD ... (and am planning on getting an AKG-x701... to complete a trio)

Having said all of the above i m kindly asking you (the experienced headphone geeks) to share some beginner tips before placing an order with Jason.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #734 of 2,741
The A2 will be a great choice.  It presents the signal with all the characteristics that a  very good amp of this type should provide.   That is:  It takes away none of the signal (It's flat freq. response goes far beyond human hearing, both low and high),  it adds nothing to the signal (noise and distortion),  it makes the signal bigger only (exactly what an amp is suppose to do, AMPLIFY.  Part of my life, transistors only existed in the laboratory and every thing electronic was tube.  Be glad that a good looking, well built transistor amp at a reasonable price exists.

If you decide on the A2 then you can work on not having your wallet emptied by people that want to sell you unbelievably overpriced cables or power cords, and other such crap. Just have, reasonably priced, quality cables so you can afford really good headphones that sound the way you want.

I will get that expensive power cord  with "Hyperdrive and extra Woo Woo" when the power company starts using silver transmission lines.

Good Luck

P.S.:  Looking over what I typed, I have decided to edit to emphasize that, I read your post closely, and should point out that this amp is compatible with your current phones, and will be with almost any phones out there.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #735 of 2,741
Quote:
Hey guys,

1st of all i i just want to point out that I m new to the HiFi world (meaning: i have bought my 1st ever avr one month back)

I have been looking for a headphone amp since i will want to be able to "work" (by that i am reffering to gaming and random flac music listening) on the computer... when the avr will be playing something (loud) from another source (eg: the xbox or the cable/sat)

If i m not mistaking too much (from having read this thread and the 7 reviews on amazon) the A2 (A $$ Guard II) is a solid amp for non-30$ headphones. 
At the moment i have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 and one ATH-M50RD ... (and am planning on getting an AKG-x701... to complete a trio)

Having said all of the above i m kindly asking you (the experienced headphone geeks) to share some beginner tips before placing an order with Jason.

I think the A2, in your case. would be overkill until you get a higher-end headphone.  I would suggest you get a Magni by the same company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back