NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #571 of 2,741
Modi is an intriguing matchup with Asgard 2. Despite the credible endorsement earlier in this thread and the fit implied by the matching form factor, Bifrost is still a lot of DAC to accommodate on an Asgard 2 budget. Even if Asgard 2 outclasses Modi, it's not by an outrageous amount. Maybe you figure you can take advantage of the more rapid pace of DAC evolution down the line with an upgrade when you're more flush, or you might simply deem amplification worth proportionally more of your investment than DAC. If you want USB and you don't want sample rates higher than 96 kHz and you don't want portability (or an integrated amp) and you do want a worthy upgrade to a stock computer DAC, then Modi seems like a logical choice for A2. There are sure to be shortcomings at the entry level price point, but spending only $99 certainly lowers your risk of disappointment, and for $350, you get quite a bit of upstream firepower for desktop listening.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #572 of 2,741
Quote:
@Defiant00 I'd like to get your opinion before buying them together about what you hear. Do you like it?is it better than  the couple modi+magni?
I need your point of view about these questions.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I just ordered them a few days ago, so it'll be a couple weeks until I have the new setup (due to Asgard 2 being on backorder).

Unless Asgard 2 is somehow worse than the original (seems unlikely) I think I can safely say I'll like it quite a bit. It's probably been much too long since I had the M&M stack though to do any useful comparison by memory.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #577 of 2,741
Hey,

Does anyone know of a store or Head-Fi user selling the latest version of the Asgard 2 that has them in stock? I have an order with Audio Advisor that's been on backorder for over a month. There's a good chance some of you have been waiting even longer, though. Just curious. At this point, I'm tempted to cancel the order and go for a Lyr, or even a V200 or Soloist, but my wallet wouldn't appreciate that very much.

Best Regards,
Dan

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #578 of 2,741
Quote:

I'm going to say this, and how relevant it is to you, I'll let you decide.

I am primarily using the DT 770 32 LEs with the Asgard 2.  I also have a pair of 80 ohm 770s.  

My friend ordered a M&M stack a couple months back, and I got the chance to listen my 770s (80 ohms) on the setup.  I found the sound to be too 'bright' for my tastes, and in the process took out some of the famous DT 770 bottom end.  However, once I disconnected the Modi and solely hooked up the Magni via RCA to RCA to my Creative X-Fi THD, I enjoyed the sound immensely.  The Magni was still a brighter sounding amp, but it wasn't as cold and analytical sounding as it was with the Modi in the mix.

Because of that experience, I now own the Asgard 2, and use them with my 32 ohm LEs.  I prefer the 32 ohm LEs over the 80s as they have better mids, and I've actually come to find their pleather pads very comfy.  Regardless, it still carries the same characteristics that I remembered the Magni having.  I cannot give you a direct comparison between the two amps as my friend lives a bit far off, but needless to say, I think the DT 770s (of any version) match very well with the Schiit line of amps (of the two SS ones I've tried, obviously).  It brightens an overall warm and bassy headphone, which IMO is a perfect thing for the Beyers.

so are you saying the modi is the poor part of couple modi+ asgard2?I've read many review in which people were very happy of their experience with modi...
uff...I like bass very much...I don't want a too bright sound...

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #579 of 2,741
Quote:

I just ordered them a few days ago, so it'll be a couple weeks until I have the new setup (due to Asgard 2 being on backorder).

Unless Asgard 2 is somehow worse than the original (seems unlikely) I think I can safely say I'll like it quite a bit. It's probably been much too long since I had the M&M stack though to do any useful comparison by memory.

do not call me boring,I'd like to have here a little review about the couple (modi + asgard2) from you.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #580 of 2,741
otherwise tell me an equivalent DAC to Modi...maybe I'm convinced about asgard 2....maybe...

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #581 of 2,741
Quote:
so are you saying the modi is the poor part of couple modi+ asgard2?I've read many review in which people were very happy of their experience with modi...
uff...I like bass very much...I don't want a too bright sound...

I wouldn't use the word poor, as I could see that being a good thing for other sources.  In my case, though, the Modi wasn't really necessary.  It's a great DAC, hands down, but I, personally, did not enjoy the sound I was hearing when the M&M stack were being auditioned.  BUT that is me.  You are right; people find that match up to be just fine or even perfect for their tastes, but I'm only one person voicing his opinion to you.

That being said, I do not enjoy the sound that goes through my Grado 325is when they are hooked up to the Asgard 2.  But a huge factor in this could be that I'm so accustomed to the DT 770s that I have outgrown their sound signature.  The other day I hooked them directly up to my Mac and didn't feel that magic that I used to feel with the Grados.  The sound now seems mushy in the top range, and lacking in definition.  As a result, they have been sidelined quite a bit lately.

I have a pair of HD 600 on the way so that I may finally audition them to see if I like them.  My general taste in sound signature has possibly changed, so that could be the reason for my dislike of the A2 and 325i combo.  We shall see, come Friday.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #582 of 2,741
Quote:
do not call me boring,I'd like to have here a little review about the couple (modi + asgard2) from you.

I'll certainly post impressions, but it'll hardly be a conclusive review. I know well enough that my audio memory isn't good enough for a true comparison, and it's going to be with different headphones as well since I've gone back to HD600s (which are still amazing).

But yes, you'll likely see me here in a couple weeks confirming that I'm enjoying the new Asgard 2 as much as I did my original one.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #583 of 2,741
Quote:

I'll certainly post impressions, but it'll hardly be a conclusive review. I know well enough that my audio memory isn't good enough for a true comparison, and it's going to be with different headphones as well since I've gone back to HD600s (which are still amazing).

But yes, you'll likely see me here in a couple weeks confirming that I'm enjoying the new Asgard 2 as much as I did my original one.

What setup are you currently using with the HD 600?  I'm curious to hear your impressions as my HD 600 will be here in a couple days, and I'll be using them with the A2 as well.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #584 of 2,741
Quote:
What setup are you currently using with the HD 600?  I'm curious to hear your impressions as my HD 600 will be here in a couple days, and I'll be using them with the A2 as well.

A laptop :frowning2:

Previously it was Bifrost > Asgard > HD600, then upgraded to LCD-2s, then sold everything and went Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII + Heir 4.A Customs.

Now I'm coming back to Schiit + HD600s.

For me HD600s are excellent all-around cans that I can wear all day with no problems. Nice and detailed without being overly piercing, and with what I feel is a pleasantly natural amount of bass (I'm no bass head, although I do like bass detail).

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #585 of 2,741
Quote:

Quote:
I wouldn't use the word poor, as I could see that being a good thing for other sources.  In my case, though, the Modi wasn't really necessary.  It's a great DAC, hands down, but I, personally, did not enjoy the sound I was hearing when the M&M stack were being auditioned.  BUT that is me.  You are right; people find that match up to be just fine or even perfect for their tastes, but I'm only one person voicing his opinion to you.

That being said, I do not enjoy the sound that goes through my Grado 325is when they are hooked up to the Asgard 2.  But a huge factor in this could be that I'm so accustomed to the DT 770s that I have outgrown their sound signature.  The other day I hooked them directly up to my Mac and didn't feel that magic that I used to feel with the Grados.  The sound now seems mushy in the top range, and lacking in definition.  As a result, they have been sidelined quite a bit lately.

I have a pair of HD 600 on the way so that I may finally audition them to see if I like them.  My general taste in sound signature has possibly changed, so that could be the reason for my dislike of the A2 and 325i combo.  We shall see, come Friday.

Thank to both very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back