NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #151 of 2,741
I plan to use the rubber feet they sent with, as that is what they are for.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
I received my Asgard 2 and Bifrost a couple of days ago and have just now had time to spend on setting it up.

Mine is in perfect condition with no blemishes at all. Indeed the build quality is excellent, particularly when the cost is considered.

It gets hot. Very hot. I'm wondering what I can use to stack it on top of the Bifrost. Maybe some glass blocks, something that is both heat resistant and isolating.

Yeah the buzz. It may be a deal breaker for me. The problem is that with this sort of equipment you have it close at hand and usually on the same desk as your computer so any noise is really noticeable. I've only just set it up so it may subside with some use or I may grow accustomed to it.

I'm going to break it in a bit and see what happens and then post back with some impressions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #152 of 2,741
Quote:
lets get some pictures of peoples set ups =)

Here's mine:

Something I noticed--If I set the gain switch on high, pause the music input from Foobar 2000, turn the Asgard 2 gain all the way up, I hear low level 60 hz hum. I hear none with the gain switch on low. This is with my Grado RS-1s. Anyone else hear the hum through your headphones? 

Edited: I unplugged the inputs to the amp, and it is dead quiet through the headphones, with the amp all the way up, and the gain set on high. The 60hz hum is coming from my interconnects/d.a.c./computer. Sorry about that, Schiit! :)

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #153 of 2,741
What I hear is some static fuzz, a slight hum,  and a ticking sound (about 1 second intervals).  In hi gain and I start to notice it at about 2 o'clock position.  Low gain I do hear it at slightly less than full volume but I only hear a very small amount of the static fuzz, no hum or ticking.  This is with my HD800's.

Quote:
Here's mine:

Something I noticed--If I set the gain switch on high, pause the music input from Foobar 2000, turn the Asgard 2 gain all the way up, I hear low level 60 hz hum. I hear none with the gain switch on low. This is with my Grado RS-1s. Anyone else hear the hum through your headphones? 

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #154 of 2,741
After sending my A2 back for an exchange, and after seeing and reading other users' accounts, I'm beginning to believe that the A2 isn't quite ready for prime time.  I suspect the latest "backorder" is due to them shoring up the manufacturing process.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #155 of 2,741
I'll upgrade my Asgard V1  to the V2 when all issues are rectified. I'm in no hurry..... 

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #156 of 2,741
Hey guys,

No conspiracy theories needed on the backorder--we're simply out of stock. If your order status doesn't say, "Shipping 3-5 days" it will soon say "Shipping estimated March 21."

That said, yes, we have been working with the transformer vendor for the next run to reduce the variability of the mechanical hum, and have set up a new "quiet room" for transformer hum verification before shipping to cull any remaining "buzzers." Sorry for the trouble to date.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #157 of 2,741
Jason thanks! My original Asgard (with muting relay) is dead quiet unless I press my ear up against the top. When you are able to make V2 as quiet, I'm buying one. Please keep us updated...

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #159 of 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif=

If your order status doesn't say, "Shipping 3-5 days" it will soon say "Shipping estimated March 21."

I read this about twenty times just to confirm that it says what I think it says. Since my order status is "Asgard 2 shipping 3-5 days", I might finally be having a stroke of luck, assuming it isn't a typo.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #160 of 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That said, yes, we have been working with the transformer vendor for the next run to reduce the variability of the mechanical hum, and have set up a new "quiet room" for transformer hum verification before shipping to cull any remaining "buzzers." Sorry for the trouble to date.

All the best,
Jason

Thanks for the information.  I've been reading this thread with great interest, and plan to order the Asgard 2, but I think I'll wait until there is official word that these humming problems are resolved.  Please keep us updated.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #161 of 2,741
For S&G I made a recording of the "noise" I hear when I pause Foobar and turn the volume pot all the way up on the Asgard 2.  I used HD800's and SR325i's for the test.  Hi gain.  You can hear the ticking sound I talked about in an earlier post.

Files can be found here: http://www.borderlandabate.org/noise

The recording device was my iRiver H120, so not the highest quality but you can clearly hear the noise.  It is not much louder than the background noise in my case.  So it is not that big a deal in my estimation, but it may be different for others.

For reference I did the same thing with my Magni and there is very little noise at full volume on it, so did not bother to record it.

P.S.  I am really liking the Asgard 2 with the HD800's!!!

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #162 of 2,741
I received my Asgard 2 several days ago and have been burning it in.  The mechanical hum is at a very low level, cannot hear it until I place my ear directly against the chassis.  This is more than acceptable.  Turning the gain up fully in the high gain setting does exhibit an audible hum through phones BUT any amp, regardless of cost, would including my Woo WA6SE.  Once again, this is with the gain at maximum with no signal input at the most sensitive gain setting.  Also, the A2 runs significantly cooler than my A1, for whatever that is worth.  My A1 is up for sale for anyone interested, I will accept any reasonable offer.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #163 of 2,741
I received my A2 a few days ago, but only got to use it this evening. I've been using the Asgard 1 (late model, w/ relay mod) daily for about 6 months. I noticed an improvement with the Asgard 2 from the second I plugged it in. It's not easily described, but it just sounds fantastic.

My rig: HE-500/K702/SR60i/Ety ER-4p, Schiit Asgard / Asgard2, Schiit Bifrost, Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, Audioquest Evergreen RCA interconnects and USB cables.

Quite honestly, I had so much fun re-listening to stuff in the last few hours that I can't write you a blow-by-blow description of A1 vs A2. I've been very happy with the A1, but now everything sounds more separated and clear - more space around every instrument, and singers stand out further in the mix. As I type this I'm listening to Eric Clapton playing Reconsider Baby (off "From the Cradle") - and I've only just realized there are two sax players in the horn section.

Initial thoughts/impressions:
* Increases the sonic differences between the K702 and HE500
* no hum at all - acoustic or electrical; even burning my ear against the case (guess I'm lucky?)
* I marginally prefer low gain setting (more than enough grunt for the HE 500 in low gain mode)
* I don't remember any sonic change in the A1 after burning-in, and I suspect that this A2 has had extended burn in anyway (reading Jason's earlier posts about production).

Hope that helps.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #164 of 2,741
Now that I have had some time with my A2, I'm just not feelin' the mids. They lack detail and are pretty laid back and this is with mid-centric headphones. I couldn't imagine listening to Beyers with this amp. Just not my cup of tea. Too bad because the bass, highs, separation and soundstage are fantastic.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #165 of 2,741
Quote:
Now that I have had some time with my A2, I'm just not feelin' the mids. They lack detail and are pretty laid back and this is with mid-centric headphones. I couldn't imagine listening to Beyers with this amp. Just not my cup of tea. Too bad because the bass, highs, separation and soundstage are fantastic.

I am not sure what Beyer models you are referring to, but my DT990/600 sound fantastic with A2.

There is very slight harshness in mid range (compared, for example, to Musical Fidelity amps that are warm) but that is not very noticeable and has been improving with burn-in. Is this what you are experiencing, or is it something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back