NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Feb 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #61 of 2,741
Quote:
The Lyr and Asgard have the same footprintCould anyone -- after getting their Asgard 2 -- post some pictures with their headphones, DACs, other amps to get a good grip of its size? I cant find my ruler!

I haven't taken any Asgard2 pics.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #62 of 2,741
Getting some cockpit time with A2.
Now we're starting to Cook'n !!

I was way too harsh with my comments.
This is a R&R amp.  No question.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #64 of 2,741
Found out I had the equalizer on...  Fixed that.
I had been listening with my LCD2 Rev1's... decided to bring the R2's downstairs.
This is a very good amp.

Side note:  I wonder how long the Schiit powers debated the orientation of the gain switch.
dt880smile.png

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #65 of 2,741
Not a great pic, but you get the idea of the size. Sounding pretty good so far. Not sure how I feel about the bass yet. It's fast, yet full, but rounded if that makes sense. Maybe a hair laid back in the mids. Soundstage is nice! This is all in comparison to my DIY tube hybrid amp. Going to let it play while I change my oil. Looking forward to others thoughts.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #67 of 2,741
I had read one review (6moons) mentioning the original Asgard amp had a noticeable transformer hum (from the device itself, not through the headphone jack). Can anyone comment on whether the Asgard 2 is making any noise?
  - thanks.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #68 of 2,741
Quote:
I had read one review (6moons) mentioning the original Asgard amp had a noticeable transformer hum (from the device itself, not through the headphone jack). Can anyone comment on whether the Asgard 2 is making any noise?
  - thanks.

See the mouse in your avatar ?

10x quieter

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #69 of 2,741
Silent. In case anyone is wondering. 125 degrees inside the case. 110 on the case top. Volume knob is 116 degrees. Wear your silicon mittens while adjusting the volume.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #70 of 2,741
Cross posting in case someone isn't following all three threads:

No blemishes on mine, but comparing to the Bifrost right next to it I can see the difference in coating. The Asgard 2 has a whiter finish, but when I touch it with my fingers it turns darker and matches the Bifrost (finger oil). I guess if I got some baby oil and dampened a cloth and gave it a quick rub down it would pickup all the dust on it from machining and make it match perfectly.

Photo Time:

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #71 of 2,741
Mine does have some transformer hum.  Not too bad, but I can hear it when I'm within a few feet of the amp.  It is louder than my A1.  Not sure about this.  Still waiting to hear if others notice some hum in their amps.

Quote:
Silent. In case anyone is wondering. 125 degrees inside the case. 110 on the case top. Volume knob is 116 degrees. Wear your silicon mittens while adjusting the volume.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #72 of 2,741
It may not be transformer hum.  It may just be the noise the device makes when powered on.  Not sure if it's transformer hum, but it does have a slight buzz to it.  It does much more internal voltage running the device than the A1, so I guess it may make sense it has a little more noise.  But, the sound in the headphones is dead quiet.

It is transformer hum because when I put my hand on the case, it is considerably less.  Not sure if I should be annoyed by this because it is a bloody good sounding amp.  Can't hear the transformer hum unless I'm right on top of the amp with no music playing.  My A1 doesn't do this, though.  Different design, so maybe irrelevant. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #73 of 2,741
Here is my brief comparison of the A1 and A2:

compared to the A1, the A2 is/has:
-More detailed
-Deeper, more controlled bass
-More transparent
-More air
-More in control
-More power in reserve

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #74 of 2,741
Quote:
  - thanks.

Quote:
See the mouse in your avatar ?

10x quieter

Quote:
It may not be transformer hum.  It may just be the noise the device makes when powered on.  Not sure if it's transformer hum, but it does have a slight buzz to it.  It does much more internal voltage running the device than the A1, so I guess it may make sense it has a little more noise.  But, the sound in the headphones is dead quiet.

It is transformer hum because when I put my hand on the case, it is considerably less.  Not sure if I should be annoyed by this because it is a bloody good sounding amp.  Can't hear the transformer hum unless I'm right on top of the amp with no music playing.  My A1 doesn't do this, though.  Different design, so maybe irrelevant. 

I recall reading about the 6moons review which mentioned transformer hum in early pieces of the Asgard 1.
IIRC Schiit took notice and eliminated the hum in subsequently produced pieces.

Now, here I'm reading about hum from the Asgard 2.
Since Schiit was able to remedy it in the Asgard 1, I've got to think it's an anomaly
which can (and should) be corrected.  Especially in light of the above post from Iamnothim
indicating the amp is very quiet.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #75 of 2,741
Quote:

I haven't taken any Asgard2 pics.

Holy cow. If a single picture could sell me on a $450 amp, this would be it. That is gorgeous. Excellent photography (same applies for the other pictures). I couldn't help but set my desktop background to this image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back