NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 28, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #2,101 of 2,741
Hey guys, 

quick question: If I have a pair of powered speakers connected to the RCA out, how do I control the volume of the speakers? On the speaker itself, or through the Asgard directly (and set the volume knob on the speaker to max)? 

Apologies for the stupid question. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,102 of 2,741
  Hey guys, 

quick question: If I have a pair of powered speakers connected to the RCA out, how do I control the volume of the speakers? On the speaker itself, or through the Asgard directly (and set the volume knob on the speaker to max)? 

Apologies for the stupid question. 

It's really a choice of convenience. I set the speakers at a level that gives me a good range of control on the Asgard 2 and then just use the Asgard 2 to control the volume. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #2,103 of 2,741

It's really a choice of convenience. I set the speakers at a level that gives me a good range of control on the Asgard 2 and then just use the Asgard 2 to control the volume. 

I'm hoping to replicate a similar behaviour with the Asgard 2 from my current setup. 

My current setup is Sony UDA-1, connected to unpowered speakers (via terminal cables); when I unplug any connected headphone, the DAC would switch the sound signal to the speakers. However, IT SEEMS that the volume is set "just right"; as in 10:00 on the volume knob is just right to drive the HD800; when I unplug the headphones, it sounds "just right" too on the speakers. Is this something I'd have to figure out the "sweet spot" between the volume on whatever powered speakers I will get (most likely something cheap like MAudio AV30) and the Asgard 2? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,107 of 2,741
Hey guys, I'm running a Fiio Mont Blanc to my recently purchased HiFiMan HE400i & although it sounds good, I really don't have another amp to compare it to.

The A2 is in my price range so would I really be stepping up in quality of sound? Or are they too similar?

Sorry I'm still a newbie but I'm learning!

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,108 of 2,741
I received today my Asgard 2 and would like to point out a couple of things regarding what's been said at the beginning of this thread, and which had me kinda worried while I waited for delivery.

1) There is absolutely no discernible transformer hum at all, even with my ear against the chassis (this is the European 230 V version).

2) It's a class A amp. It does get warm. But it's been on and in use for the last 5 hours and it's definitely not "hot" by my standards, on the top and on the sides of the chassis. The bottom is definitely hotter though. But IMHO heat shouldn't really be a concern to anyone as I don't think you could ever actually burn yourself.
EDIT : surprisingly, it keeps getting slowly warmer and warmer even after 7 hours + of use. I wasn't expecting that and I must admit now that it's borderline hot overall, with a definite hot point on the right side near the front panel, if that is of any relevance to any one
wink_face.gif
I'm not concerned about it though as it's what it's supposed to do.

As for a proper sonic review, I will leave it to others since I don't have much experience (if at all) with HP amps, and like I said I have only used it during one afternoon. The only other HP amp I tried was a Fiio E12. I had it for a week and returned it as I found it harsh to listen to and there was a constant noise floor with sensitive HPs, regardless of volume knob position. On the other hand the Asgard 2 is silent unless the volume knob is turned fully clockwise (with no music playing), and it sounds just proper. Transparent, no obvious coloration. Just what I expect from an amp.

I must admit I bought it mainly for convenience reasons more than as an upgrade in SQ, as the HP out of my integrated home stereo amp (Yamaha AS-500) sounded already quite fine to me. However, the good surprise is that with the Asgard 2 the lows *definitely* hit lower and punchier. Almost scarily so on my V-Moda M-100, I might add. Due to the available power I guess. I learned here on head-fi that I'm a bass-head so I'm very satisfied with that !
L3000.gif

It's very, very good sounding, but I can't really comment any further than that. It might sound more detailed overall, ie I seem to feel more into the music, I hear more of the recording room reverberation details, etc... but I'm not sure though, in all honesty it might as well be expectation bias. I'd have to do some proper ABX testing to tell any actual differences at this stage.
Anyway I'm very happy with it, it does what it's supposed to and it does it well 
darthsmile.gif

And now the icing on the cake : it's even more gorgeous looking in real than in the pictures
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,109 of 2,741
  I received today my Asgard 2 and would like to point out a couple of things regarding what's been said at the beginning of this thread, and which had me kinda worried while I waited for delivery.

1) There is absolutely no discernible transformer hum at all, even with my ear against the chassis (this is the European 230 V version).

2) It's a class A amp. It does get warm. But it's been on and in use for the last 5 hours and it's definitely not "hot" by my standards, on the top and on the sides of the chassis. The bottom is definitely hotter though. But IMHO heat shouldn't really be a concern to anyone as I don't think you could ever actually burn yourself.

As for a proper sonic review, I will leave it to others since I don't have much experience (if at all) with HP amps, and like I said I have only used it during one afternoon. The only other HP amp I tried was a Fiio E12. I had it for a week and returned it as I found it harsh to listen to and there was a constant noise floor with sensitive HPs, regardless of volume knob position. On the other hand the Asgard 2 is silent unless the volume knob is turned fully clockwise (with no music playing), and it sounds just proper. Transparent, no obvious coloration. Just what I expect from an amp.

I must admit I bought it mainly for convenience reasons more than as an upgrade in SQ, as the HP out of my integrated home stereo amp (Yamaha AS-500) sounded already quite fine to me. However, the good surprise is that with the Asgard 2 the lows *definitely* hit lower and punchier. Almost scarily so on my V-Moda M-100, I might add. Due to the available power I guess. I learned here on head-fi that I'm a bass-head so I'm very satisfied with that !
L3000.gif

It's very, very good sounding, but I can't really comment any further than that. It might sound more detailed overall, ie I seem to feel more into the music, I hear more of the recording room reverberation details, etc... but I'm not sure though, in all honesty it might as well be expectation bias. I'd have to do some proper ABX testing to tell any actual differences at this stage.
Anyway I'm very happy with it, it does what it's supposed to and it does it well 
darthsmile.gif

And now the icing on the cake : it's even more gorgeous looking in real than in the pictures
cool.gif

Glad you like it. It's an awesome single-ended amp that is a real chameleon when it comes to different DACs. Its transparent and doesn't color the sound too much, maybe leaning on the warm side of neutral at best.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2,111 of 2,741
In my office system I use the Asgard 2 as a preamp/headphone amp with a Parasound Halo A23 and it sounds great. It's a Hell of a bargain. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,112 of 2,741
Great sounding Amp! I was using Sony UDA-1/B (it's an amp/dac combo); and I immediately can tell the difference when using the Asgard 2 with TH900 and HD800. 

However, the knob does get hot. It's like touching your steering wheel after your car is parked outdoor in a really hot day. *maybe alarming* but it doesn't burn or hurt you in anyway at all. It's also far less alarming than holding a hot coffee cup/mug.  

Having said that, anyone ever tried to tame the heat on the volume knob? I'm thinking of sleeving it with some type of heat proof material, but I'm not quite sure what/where to look. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2,113 of 2,741
The warmth of the knob is there to remind you of all of that "Class A" goodness inside...don't worry about it at all. Enjoy your A2!

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,114 of 2,741
  Great sounding Amp! I was using Sony UDA-1/B (it's an amp/dac combo); and I immediately can tell the difference when using the Asgard 2 with TH900 and HD800. 

However, the knob does get hot. It's like touching your steering wheel after your car is parked outdoor in a really hot day. *maybe alarming* but it doesn't burn or hurt you in anyway at all. It's also far less alarming than holding a hot coffee cup/mug.  

Having said that, anyone ever tried to tame the heat on the volume knob? I'm thinking of sleeving it with some type of heat proof material, but I'm not quite sure what/where to look. 

Here is the answer to your problem.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,115 of 2,741

My ASGARD 2 sits on the media shelf below our flatscreen in the loft. Coincidentally, it all sits directly under our ceiling fan, so that helps with the heat a little, but I have seriously considered setting up a little box fan, or one of those 3rd-party XBOX 360 coolers on the ASGARD 2 to see if it helps to keep the temperature down even better. But the ceiling fan keeps it cool enough that at least the knob isn't much warmer than ambient temperature. The body housing at the bottom is a different story though.... Wouldn't want to place it on "warp able" plastic for extended periods.

Just some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back