NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 26, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,771 of 2,741
  That's my rig along with a Bifrost Uber DAC.  You will not be disappointed, although the wallet will be lighter.  Still, I think that will become your go-to choice.

Are you tempted to add a more pricey amp for LCD-2?  I'm thinking of a adding a LCD sometime in the future.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,772 of 2,741

No I haven't, but I just placed the order with Amazon for the "Allen Toussaint Going Places" CD so I'll have it soon (gotta love Prime). Thanks for the recommendation!

I've been spending a lot of time lately with the Asgard 2, the B&W P7's and my new Gungnir and it makes for a sweet combination. I want to check out the new Valhalla 2 as well, but there are only so many hours in a day...

Agree totally, I have a Gungnir/Asgard 2 combination which I really like.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,774 of 2,741
Yes they do in my experience (3 purchases with them) and in general it is quite quick (the shipping). My Asgard 2 arrived here in Canada within I think 3 or 4 days max of payment. It was very fast.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,776 of 2,741
  just a quick somewhat unrelated question.
does schiit send you a its-shipped-email?

Steffen, I ordered the Asgard 2 a couple of days ago & they shipped it the next day, sent me an e-mail that they had shipped it & later in the day I received another email from USPS (I chose the postal delivery option) with a tracking number.  I live in Nova Scotia so I'll get it by the end of next week or so.

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,777 of 2,741
You could "Y" cable the Bifrost to both amps that you already own. The Bifrost has a 75 Ohm output impedance and should have no problems driving both amps in parallel.
Depending on your headphones, I might consider putting more money into headphones, that's where you'll hear the biggest differences.. Which ones do you have?

What if I have 3 or 4 amps, I would think that splitting the signal a second time would not be the greatest idea?

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,778 of 2,741

No I haven't, but I just placed the order with Amazon for the "Allen Toussaint Going Places" CD so I'll have it soon (gotta love Prime). Thanks for the recommendation!

I've been spending a lot of time lately with the Asgard 2, the B&W P7's and my new Gungnir and it makes for a sweet combination. I want to check out the new Valhalla 2 as well, but there are only so many hours in a day...

Great, I hope you like Allen's music.  He only did two "jazz" albums:  Going Places and The Bright Mississippi.  The former is brighter and the latter is more New Orleans themed which I think is closer to Allen's roots.  I like them both.

Cheers -
RCBinTN

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,779 of 2,741

Are you tempted to add a more pricey amp for LCD-2?  I'm thinking of a adding a LCD sometime in the future.

I am tempted, but not sure what to do.  On the LCD-X appreciation thread, there's plenty of talk about the X reacting well to more powerful amps.  I've read that the X pairs really well with the Mjolnir and other solid-state amps.  I've also read many impressive comments about the Chord Hugo portable DAC/amp.  However, until I have a chance to test some of these devices with my X, I'm quite happy driving them with the B/A2 combination.  The sound is tremendous.

All the Best -
RCBinTN

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,780 of 2,741

I am tempted, but not sure what to do.  On the LCD-X appreciation thread, there's plenty of talk about the X reacting well to more powerful amps.  I've read that the X pairs really well with the Mjolnir and other solid-state amps.  I've also read many impressive comments about the Chord Hugo portable DAC/amp.  However, until I have a chance to test some of these devices with my X, I'm quite happy driving them with the B/A2 combination.  The sound is tremendous.

All the Best -
RCBinTN

Lyr works well too, very well IMO.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,781 of 2,741

Lyr works well too, very well IMO.

That would be my only thought. Would it be worth selling the A-2 for the Lyr...I'm asking rhetorically really. I haven't heard the LYR, but read many great comments. If you could get a good deal on a used LRY, rather than paying $500-1000 for a new something else?

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,782 of 2,741
You could "Y" cable the Bifrost to both amps that you already own. The Bifrost has a 75 Ohm output impedance and should have no problems driving both amps in parallel.
Depending on your headphones, I might consider putting more money into headphones, that's where you'll hear the biggest differences.. Which ones do you have?
What if I have 3 or 4 amps, I would think that splitting the signal a second time would not be the greatest idea?

As I said the Bifrost's output impedance is 75 Ohms so it should easily be able to drive multiple line inputs that are in parallel. My only concern would be if many long interconnects are used the cable capacitance will add up and possibly diminish the treble, or not.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,783 of 2,741
That would be my only thought. Would it be worth selling the A-2 for the Lyr...I'm asking rhetorically really. I haven't heard the LYR, but read many great comments. If you could get a good deal on a used LRY, rather than paying $500-1000 for a new something else?

Keep your A2 and get a Lyr as well, like I did. You can never have enough stuff! :D

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,784 of 2,741

Excellent.
To be fair, I purchased Jazz at the Pawnshop and am currently burning it into my ears (haven't yet listened on the LCD-X, so I don't have an accurate review).

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,785 of 2,741
I think to really improve on the Lyr you would have to go up to something like a Wa6SE or Wa2 at more than double the money. I actually intend to do that at some point but the Lyr is totally getting the job done for the time being. I am real pleased that I bought this amp. It seems to make ALL my headphones sound better than they ever have before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back