NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #812 of 2,741
Listened for about an hour last night, my first quick impressions....  great sounding amp and a great bargain. I was able to switch back and forth just a little bit and will do a full comparison this weekend but my initial (very quick) impression is that the Schiit seems "faster" and a little sharper then the WA2 but the WA2 trumps it in bass and soundstage.

I do have one major (for me anyways) complaint about the Schiit Asgard and Bifrost stack,  why... WHY put the power switches on the BACK of the units??  I use the stack as my bedside system and when I am half asleep fumbling behind the stack to turn off the units I found it a pain in the ass to just turn them off. Ugh.

Any suggestions on the next headphone purchase for me to pair with the combo?

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #816 of 2,741
I have a question. Between Matrix M Stage and Asgard 2, which is the better one? Especially as a preamp? Particularly for mids and clean/transparent sound? What are the pros and cons of each against each other? And how do these two compare to Lyr?

Thanks in advance

Aakshey

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #817 of 2,741
IMO the Asgard 2 is better...mids, preamp, flexibility to drive many hp's. It's a fine amp at a great price. I believe that it will give you the "clean/transparent" sound that you're looking for. It was quite a while ago that I owned the Matrix but this is what I remember. 

gL!!

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #818 of 2,741
What are the pros and cons of the Lyr vs Asgard 2? Which has a crisper, clearer, cleaner sound with forward mids? And which is sweeter with more lush mids? How different is it?

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #819 of 2,741
I own an Asgard 2 and It is a really clean sound, clinical almost, I listened to a hybrid tube amp and like the sound of the hybrid tube amp better, I would guess the lyr will be warmer since tubes tend to be, which is why I like the hybrid tube amp more, the Asgard 2 has a hi and low gain switch, I don't think the lyr does

I was thinking about buying the Valhalla or the lyr but the Valhalla Jason from Schiit said would sound really tubey with the grados, the lyr was out of my price range so I didn't ask on it

What headphones will you be using ?

I am using grado sr225i

If it helps any Schiit is the sh!t, in regards to answering questions quickly and Jason himself usually answers them, they shipped my amp the same day they received payment, and it is very well packed, the owners manual is kind of hilarious :) Schiit has a 15 day trial/ return period if that helps any, I recommended there magni to my cousin since he is looking for a cheap headphone amp, and would recommend Schiit

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #820 of 2,741
Quote:
I own an Asgard 2 and It is a really clean sound, clinical almost, I listened to a hybrid tube amp and like the sound of the hybrid tube amp better, I would guess the lyr will be warmer since tubes tend to be, which is why I like the hybrid tube amp better

What headphones will you be using ?

I am using grado sr225i

If it helps any Schiit is the sh!t, in regards to answering questions quickly and Jason himself usually answers them, they shipped my amp the same day they received payment, and it is very well packed, the owners manual is kind of hilarious
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want a hybrid tube amp for your Grados, check out the LD1+. Even less money and has a seems to match really well with Grados for some reason.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #821 of 2,741
Thanks for the recommendation, but I was only giving my opinion on the Asgard 2, dont want to seem like I'm thread jacking :) was not my intention to thread jack, just give my opinion based on owning the Asgard 2 :)

I have a thread in the intro asking for recommendations :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #822 of 2,741
The Asgard-2 is my only reference point with my 225i. If I were to get another amp for my 225, it would be the LD1+ based on the overwhelming positive remarks from Grado owners.

I heard a HE 500 thru a laptop with Mod/Magni and thought they sounded really good. For a price/performance ratio-$200 for an amp and DAC-for someone who doesn't want to throw a lot of money into their amp/DAC-it's hard not to recommend.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #824 of 2,741
Quote:
I have the HE500 I also have owned the asgard2 and have the lyr now.
Both fine amps the lyr is lusher mellower and more powerful tubes are a different beast you like them or don't I do

Which has a crisper, more transparent and cleaner/clearer sound between Lyr and A2?

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #825 of 2,741
And which of the two has a thicker sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back