***NEW*** RHA (Reid Heath Acoustics) T10i IEM to debut at IFA 2014
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #121 of 258
Wow... I really want a pair of these. I loved the RE-400 to death, but they are just so flimsy I have had 3 pairs fail on me in the past 2 years. I would love to have another IEM with a reference signature that actually is durable.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #122 of 258
Oct 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #123 of 258
I was originally considering buying the DUNU DN1000s (With the hybrid design), since they look beautiful, have durable casings, and have extremely positive reviews (the only downside I have seen for these is the weight, but they are metal after all).

So there I was, thinking I had finally decided on a nice pair of headphones to save up for (was debating between these, ATH-cks1000s, and RHA750s).

Then I come across RHA's T10 page on their website, and I see a pair of earphones that look nuke-proof (non-detachable cables are actually preferred for me, ever since I had connection problems with shure se215 - the right side wobbled in the connection and intermittently transmitted the sound, which ruined the mood of any song), and have some very nice looking specs.

These have a new model of driver, which I assume is better than the one in the RHA 750 (and the RHA 750 got some excellent reviews to begin with).

So these are coming out this month? For $200 that's extemely tempting (looking for replacement headphones, got some temporary ones)

So just as a pure specs comparison:

Dunu DN 1000 vs RHA T10i

High freq: 22khz vs 22khz
Low freq: 16hz vs 16hz
Impedance: 10 ohms vs 16 ohms
Sensitivity: 98db vs 100db
Whats inside: Dual BA + 1 Dynamic vs Dynamic (Model 770.1)
Adjustments: Rings vs Changeable filters
Style: Cable down vs Cable over ear
Weight: 26g vs 41g

Both look awesome from the specs and packaging internals.

T10s look much more cutomizeable and durable from the pictures I have seen.

Both are on the heavy side for their respective wearing styles. I find the cable over-ear fit in your ear much much better, but as a downside, if your cable gets snagged, its all gonna be focused on the connection at the earpiece (I had Westone 3, which I found detailed and very accurate, but boring to listen to: good construction, but my absent-mindedness led me to snag it on everything possible (lawnmower, door handles, etc), and the right earbud started to give way).

Any tips on which to go for? I like the look and the "best of both worlds" aspect of the dunu dn1000s (dynamic + BA). But at the same time, the RHA T10s look indestructible, and based off of the reviews for the 750s, these are probably going to be even better.

Both $200, have an excellent array of tip selections, have the same frequency range, are made of metal, and have dynamic drivers inside.

Just for reference, I listen to EDM (House, light dubstep, electro, etc)  mainly and EDM-based pop songs.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #124 of 258
We'll probably just have to wait and see when the RHA T10i eventually comes out how the sound compares. I like the fact that the RHA has a ridiculously good warranty. The DUNU can't beat that.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #125 of 258
Here are a few pictures to satisfy the curious :). Plus some initial out of the box sonic impressions...

Ok before I talk sonics let's talk build, packaging, and accessories! This piece of art is built like a tank and is yet light and super comfortable. The over ear cable design is simply stunning and will be mimicked by many unless it has been patented. The package has enough tips to meet anyone's needs plus it has a nice carry case and shirt clip. The case is soft so some might argue it should be a hard case but really what would be the point! The IEM is so robust it just doesn't need the protection a hard case would provide..

Ok so initial listen straight from the package to my ears using the default tips and default reference filters. Played from my LG G3 phone at just shy of 50% volume.

The headphone has a warm dark signature to my ears with the bass being a bit over cooked and the midrange and treble slightly subdued. The sound stage is a bit small and the imaging is average.

Are my mid/treblehead tendencies showing? ABSOLUTELY, but I also suspect that I need to let these cook over night to see what happens.

Switched out the filters for the treble ones and there is definite improvement to the treble and upper mids. The bass is still to strong but I do expect this area to change. Sound stage has opened up a bit and imaging has improved. Vocals sound much better as well.

Ever curious I then ventured to the bass filter...

Have to admit I actually enjoyed the fun factor of this filter. It bass them more bassy and warmed up the midrange. It actually reminded me of the XBA-H3 when I had a pair for about a week. Imagine being able to have that big bass sound when you want it without having to just live with that choice!

OK, so these filters ABSOLUTELY work as advertised and you get one of the best physically designed IEMs I have personally seen. Now I need to let these cook for the night and see what changes occur. So far I am impressed and really hoping the sound evolves into what I think it can. I am getting ready to go for a walk so will make one more post regarding microphonics and wind noise later.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #127 of 258
Microphonics are darned near nil, definitely above average in this area. They also have very good isolation, again above average but I do want to see how they perform on the train and downtown tomorrow. Unfortunately no wind tonight so won't be able to comment on that yet.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #130 of 258
Some posted I made in the announcements thread I thought people here might be interested in reading.
I tossed the T10I to a co-worker and his exact words were, "These are the nicest IEMs you have given me to try so far!" This co-worker has tried every Sony I have owned including the XBA-H3 along with my current sonic favorite the DJE1500 and he definitely prefers the T10i to them all. So again, setting my personal preferences aside these really are a darned good IEM!

Now I just have to figure out how to get them back from my friend... LOL

He is still wearing them LOL, he asked if I had another IEM to use because he wants to use them for the day :).

He likes them better than even the full size headphones I have let him try...

He is now figuring out how to get a pair for Christmas }:)

OK, handed them to another co-worker and his exact words (well almost exact :wink:) were, "these are bleeping unbelievable, their beautiful, I HATE YOU!"

:)

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #132 of 258
They were trying the increased treble filter

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #134 of 258
OK, thought it was time for some more updates.

After a day of using the IEM I have started to enjoy it's sound but still find it to treble lite for my treble-head tastes. Fortunately turning on treble boost on my phone helps resolve this problem well. I still find the bass  a bit bigger than I have grown accustomed to but I have to admit it is growing on me :). It will be interesting to see how I like my K712 Pro coming in next week after subjecting myself to this signature
basshead.gif

Going for a couple of very large walks today I was very happy with the microphonics and isolation (one walk was in the downtown core during lunch when the roads are busy). Microphonics are not quite nil as I could here footfall noise in the cable during quiet songs or silence but is better than most IEM's I have owned. There is also a bit of cable rub noise but again it is very minimal. Talking with my wife also worked very well so the mic seems well designed.

I have the iPhone version of the T10 and I have to say this IEM really works well with my LG G3 and works well with my families iDevices but it actually doesn't seem to do well with my desktop and any of my amp/dacs. It's almost as if they throw it's signature out of balance instead of enhancing it. I have a Cayin C5 coming in next week to review so will see how it fairs but so far I think this IEM really is designed to just be used portably through standard DAPs like a smart phone. For some this will be a knock against the IEM but I actually think this shows that RHA has paid attention to their target market and have made an IEM that doesn't need special treatment to work as designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back