New RHA MA150 universals launching today! Will this be a new price/performance ratio champ?
Mar 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
^^^ Agreed.  After having spent even more time with them, I cannot believe how just how bassy these are.  It's quite impressive, what they've done with these.

For anyone out there who considers themselves a basshead, you owe it to yourself to have this in your collection.  If you can handle the bass, you're a true basshead.  If you can't, well then you just learned something interesting about yourself didn't you?

I can't believe it either. These are what I had hoped the xtreme xplosives would sound like, but whereas I found those muddy and artificial, these put out a lot of really nice, smooth bass.

I really wouldn't recommend these to anyone as a primary pair of headphones though. Like you said, the mids are quite recessed, and for most I guess the bass would feel like it's swamping the spectrum - for me though these are awesome, and I almost can't listen to other earphones after this because they now sound too thin and diminished - even the 3590s.

On amazon it seems a lot of people find the sound balanced and even, which I really can't understand.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

On amazon it seems a lot of people find the sound balanced and even, which I really can't understand.

Well, they're clearly WRONG. 
tongue.gif
  Lol, wouldn't be the first time...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
^^^ Agreed.  After having spent even more time with them, I cannot believe how just how bassy these are.  It's quite impressive, what they've done with these.

For anyone out there who considers themselves a basshead, you owe it to yourself to have this in your collection.  If you can handle the bass, you're a true basshead.  If you can't, well then you just learned something interesting about yourself didn't you?

I can't believe it either. These are what I had hoped the xtreme xplosives would sound like, but whereas I found those muddy and artificial, these put out a lot of really nice, smooth bass.

I really wouldn't recommend these to anyone as a primary pair of headphones though. Like you said, the mids are quite recessed, and for most I guess the bass would feel like it's swamping the spectrum - for me though these are awesome, and I almost can't listen to other earphones after this because they now sound too thin and diminished - even the 3590s.

Ooh, I've never heard the JVC XX, but I've read a bunch of comments that also say they tend to be a little muddy.  Now, I'm not saying that the bass in these are natural, not by a long.  They're about as augmented as fake br****s.  But like fake br****s, that augmentation is done in such a pleasing way.

And that seal - which is also a hallmark of their other IEMs (MA350, MA450i) - is to die for.  I'd love to buy a few dozen of their small tips just to keep on hand in case of loss/damage.

Haha, for the past week or so, I've been rotating most commonly between these and UE700 (dual BA).  That is a pretty jarring experience.  These are my EDM/Trance workhorse.  They never complain when melting my brain. 
smile.gif
  I wonder why the folks in The Basshead Club haven't caught on to these yet?

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Haha, for the past week or so, I've been rotating most commonly between these and UE700 (dual BA).  That is a pretty jarring experience.  These are my EDM/Trance workhorse.  They never complain when melting my brain. 
smile.gif
  I wonder why the folks in The Basshead Club haven't caught on to these yet?

Are these even being sold outside of the UK? I guess though £15 isn't much, it's still a fiver more than the xtreme xplosives, the 3580s, the monoprice 8320s, or whatever the base sony models are now, and from a relatively unknown brand too. So people probably just aren't inclined to try them. 

Any day now somebody apart from us will try these and they'll become a thing - I hope so anyway!

Totally agree with the seal thing, I don't think I've ever had such a good seal from out of the box tips, I love the design of these too, and the eco packaging is a plus for me. I'll probably check out the 350 someday just out of curiousity.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
Are these even being sold outside of the UK? I guess though £15 isn't much

They're available in the States for $19.99, which winds up being about £12.57 so that's not too bad.  Incidentally, what made you decide to take a chance on it?

Quote:
I'll probably check out the 350 someday just out of curiousity.

What type of sound signature do you prefer?  I might be able to tell you if you'd enjoy them.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

What type of sound signature do you prefer?  I might be able to tell you if you'd enjoy them.

Well I always lean towards bassier sound signatures since I mostly listen to old soul and edm. Though for a mids-based phones I hate bright highs, and really appreciate analytical sound in the rest of the sig - a lot of attack and no flabbiness or veil. I like to hear (or feel like I could) every note in a guitar chord being struck, and have good tonal separation with the instruments. I sort of realise that kind of quality isn't going to happen this cheap, but if the 350s are closer than most I'd probably love them.
Quote:

They're available in the States for $19.99, which winds up being about £12.57 so that's not too bad.  Incidentally, what made you decide to take a chance on it?

As wrong as they are, it was the great reviews on Amazon that made me impulse buy them. I don't really need them. I actually wanted a pair of non-iem buds, and something with great soundstage, but curiousity got the better of me.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #21 of 22
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back