New Releases 2012 - No Records Released Before 2012
Nov 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #61 of 102
Time to bust out the fiddles and the banjos and the resonator guitars...

I listened to this one a little bit back when it was released in July, 2012, but I let it fall by the wayside for a moment. I just filed it away knowing I would return to it. Well, I made it back and I regret neglecting it:

Old Crow Medicine Show - Carry Me Back

It's chock full of really great new songs and very clever songwriting and the band is hitting on all cylinders. Their first new full-length album in four years and worth the wait.

------------------------------------------------------------

Still on the banjo and fiddle tip, there is another new album that was just released this past Tuesday. Rather than let it fall by the wayside like I did with Old Crow Medicine Show, I'm on top of it this time. 
cool.gif

Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson - Wreck And Ruin

Good stuff! 
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #62 of 102
Wow, did I ever miss the boat on this one! 
redface.gif

Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful

This was released back at the very beginning of 2012. What can I say? Sometimes I don't get around to all of the new releases as quickly as I would like. I was already a fan of some of Chuck Prophet's previous records, but I missed this one when it first came out.

This may be the best straight-up rock n' roll record of the year. It's November, and now that I've heard 'Temple Beautiful,' I can't think of a better one. It sort of reminds me of Elvis Costello or Graham Parker at their peaks, or maybe The Modern Lovers.

All I can say is listen to this record if you haven't already. It is fantastic! I only wish I'd found it sooner! 
k701smile.gif

On MOG: Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
On Spotify: Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful

EDIT: Adding link where you can stream this for free if you don't have MOG or Spotify: Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #63 of 102
http://soularorder.com/releases/

Everything by this artist is from this year and he's probably my favorite new artist of 2012. Amazing music.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #64 of 102
Quote:
http://soularorder.com/releases/

Everything by this artist is from this year and he's probably my favorite new artist of 2012. Amazing music.

I tried some of this stuff. I downloaded the EP 'Soularorder - IV' in FLAC and the EP 'A Change Of Pace' in 320 kbps MP3. What's not to love about free music, especially free FLACs?

I enjoyed the EP 'A Change Of Pace' and the first track from the other one called "Start Something." As I usually find with electronic music, it's difficult to say much about it because it's not "about" anything. It just creates a mood.

I didn't really dig the two remaining tracks I tried which are "Before You Leave" and "Everybody Makes Mistakes;" both from 'Soularorder - IV.' I like the music well enough, but I don't like the "disemboweled" (my description) vocals that are on the tracks. I think both tracks would be far better without the vocals.

I can't complain because I added five free tracks to my collection, and I like three out of the five.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #65 of 102
Good to hear you liked some of them but Everybody Makes Mistakes is one of my favorites. A vocal style similar to Burial. It's one of the best Future Garage tracks I've heard. 

Public Transport is probably my favorite of the 5 though.

Quote:

I tried some of this stuff. I downloaded the EP 'Soularorder - IV' in FLAC and the EP 'A Change Of Pace' in 320 kbps MP3. What's not to love about free music, especially free FLACs?

I enjoyed the EP 'A Change Of Pace' and the first track from the other one called "Start Something." As I usually find with electronic music, it's difficult to say much about it because it's not "about" anything. It just creates a mood.

I didn't really dig the two remaining tracks I tried which are "Before You Leave" and "Everybody Makes Mistakes;" both from 'Soularorder - IV.' I like the music well enough, but I don't like the "disemboweled" (my description) vocals that are on the tracks. I think both tracks would be far better without the vocals.

I can't complain because I added five free tracks to my collection, and I like three out of the five.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #66 of 102

I found this sort of out of the blue while browsing on Amazon and I love it.  I really enjoy the timbre of the mandolin in general and I think replacing the usual voice of such pieces (the violin) with a different instrument changes the pieces quite a bit.

Who's Feeling Young Now? is my favorite album that I've picked up this year.  Chris Thile (lead vocals and mandolin) is basically my hero as a mandolin player and he has a very good band with him in the Punch Brothers.  Bluegrass instrumentation without all the stuffy tradition and insistence on doing it like Bill Monroe.  It's much more like indie rock using a different set of instruments, to my mind.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #67 of 102
Deftones - Koi No Yokan

KoiNoYokan.jpg

I really can't stop listening to this one. It's one of those that you'll want to listen to over and over in it's entirety, instead of picking through it to find the "hits".

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #68 of 102
Quote:
Deftones - Koi No Yokan

KoiNoYokan.jpg

I really can't stop listening to this one. It's one of those that you'll want to listen to over and over in it's entirety, instead of picking through it to find the "hits".

Agree.  Deftones "Koi no Yokan" and Rush "Clockwork Angels" are my two favorite albums of 2012.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #69 of 102
Rush - Clockwork Angels is definitely the album of the year for me. I was supposed to see them in LA tomorrow night but it didn't work out. :mad:

On the bluegrass tip, Trampled by Turtles - Stars and Satelites is a really good release. Progressive bluegrass that honors traditional influences.

In metal, Grave - Endless Procession of Souls, Red Fang - Murder the Mountains, and Om - Advaitic Songs are also great records.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #70 of 102

This one is in my top 5 this year. Just got the LPs a few days ago (the single release, and the album) and they're fantastic. Lorn has been a favorite for awhile now, but this album is great. If you want a Chill / Dark Electronic album to listen to you have to get this. Not to mention to fantastic cover art.

Lorn - Ask the Dust

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #71 of 102
Man, 2012 has been a *fantastic* year for music. Here are a few of the albums that have stuck with me most since January... (Apologies in advance for length--leaving out tons more just for the sake of 'brevity' lol.)

Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel--This one's been brought up a few times already I see. I just want to reinforce the point. 

Burial: Street Halo & Kindred--Compilation CD set that comprises two EPs, including this year's Kindred. Possibly the finest electronic music I've heard all year. 

Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind--My favorite 'heavy' release this year. Peerless combination of metal and hardcore punk--Converge has consistently released some of the finest heavy music releases of the past decade and a half, and I hope they never stop.

Flying Lotus: Until the Quiet Comes--Transcendent instrumental hip hop. FlyLo is not only the JDilla for our time, but also the Miles Davis *and* the Aphex Twin. Yep, it's that good. Listen to it at night for the full effect.

Grizzly Bear: Shields--I have issues with the production, but ultimately the music itself is so good that I just have to include this here. Listening to this for the first time I got the same feeling I got the first time I heard Radiohead. Might be a future indie pop/rock/folk classic.

Kendrick Lamar: Good Kid Mad City--God-tier hip hop. Comparable in quality and feeling to Nas's Illmatic, insofar as I'm concerned. Probably my AOTY.

Frank Ocean: Channel Orange--R&B is not dead, you just have to know where to look for the good stuff. If, in recent years, you've liked Janelle Monae and The Weeknd, but you haven't listened to this yet, then you really, really need to. 

Swans: The Seer--Turns out post-rock isn't dead, either. Unnerving and uncompromising drone music with occasional flashes of beauty. Already mentioned--just making sure people don't forget. :-D

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #72 of 102
Have you seen the music videos for Diamond and Weigh Me Down? Best videos I've seen all year.
Quote:
This one is in my top 5 this year. Just got the LPs a few days ago (the single release, and the album) and they're fantastic. Lorn has been a favorite for awhile now, but this album is great. If you want a Chill / Dark Electronic album to listen to you have to get this. Not to mention to fantastic cover art.

Lorn - Ask the Dust

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #75 of 102
Posting a few more. Because I can. ^^ Then I'll be pretty much finished, until I check out new releases from this point forward!

Aesop Rock: Skelethon Abstract hip hop sort of saw a rebirth this year, and Aesop Rock was one of the dudes leading the charge. Fantastically dense lyrics, addictive production. Please listen to it!

Beach House: Bloom Already mentioned--just reminding you that you need to listen to it.

Blu & Exile: Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them Fantastically chill conscious hip hop. (2012 was a good year for hip hop!)

Cloud Nothings: Attack on Memory Great post-hardcore, married to whiny indie rock. And I mean that in the best way possible.

Death Grips: The Money Store Odd Future, except scary instead of funny. Probably the most twisted thing I've listened to all year.Is it hip hop, or is it something entirely different? You decide!

El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Another abstract hip hop legend who hasn't lost his touch. 

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Don't Bend Ascend This year's post-rock crown still rests on Swans' head, but man, is it nice to have these guys back. 

High on Fire: De Vermis Mysteriis Massive stoner metal with a thrash edge. 

Perfume Genius: Put Your Back N 2 It Gorgeous, heart-breaking piano-driven pop. Seriously, I found this to be devastating.

The Men: Open Your Heart Nocturnal, moody rock meets post-hardcore. Love at first sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back