New Releases 2012 - No Records Released Before 2012
Jun 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #31 of 102
Thanks everyone for all of the great ideas on new 2012 releases in here. 
smile.gif
 I haven't been able to listen to all of them, but there are several suggestions above that I'm still just starting to listen to. I keep coming back to this thread for ideas. Here are a couple more 2012 new ones I haven't seen mentioned yet, but that I've listened to briefly and may be worthy of attention:

Jack White - Blunderbuss

The first album by The White Stripes frontman released under his own name.

Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream

This is Bonnie's first record in seven years. Four of the tracks were produced by the great Joe Henry. On this record, Bonnie covers Bob Dylan's "Standing In The Doorway" from his 'Time Out Of Mind' album. To me, that alone is worth price of admission! The reviews for this new album are coming in very strong!

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #32 of 102
Quote:
Joe Bonamassa ~ Driving toward the Daylight: 

Joe Walsh ~ Analog Man: Joe's first record in twenty years...welcome back Joe!

As always - we seem to share similar taste :)  Have been really enjoying DTTD also.  Didn't know about the Joe Walsh release.  Listened to a couple of tracks tonight.  Will be buying off HD Tracks the next time they have a promo.  thanks!

And here's one in return - released Feb 2012 I think:

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Interesting mix of bluesy rock - intertwined with Lanegan's 'rough and edgy' vocals - I really like it - particularly with the Grados.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #33 of 102
Thanks Brooko, I'll keep an eye out for that one. Here is another one.

A couple of years ago I stumbled across Bronx in Blue by Dion Dimucci, the doo wop guy from the 50's, an American icon really. Anyway after reading the reviews I put it in my cart and proceeded to checkout. When it arrived, what I got was a collection of Blues and Country standards by folks like Robert Johnson, Son House, Blind Willie McTell, Bo Didley, Hank Williams, and Jimmy Reed, all reinterpreted and made his own.  Anyway I enjoyed Bronx in Blue so much I knew I had to get Tank Full of Blues.when it came out earlier this year. Dion wrote or co-wrote all the songs on this record and it's even better than Bronx in Blue. Here's a taste.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #34 of 102
Flying Colors - Self-titled debut

I've been digging this lately. An assembled "super group" of sorts, it's a solid hard rock album with prog influences. Interestingly, this is one of the latest projects of Mike Portnoy, the former drummer of Dream Theater.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #35 of 102

With Traveler, Jerry has finally recorded an album that will even further elevate his already impressive stature from super-sideman to a bona fide front-rank creator of musical Americana. Produced by Russ Titelman (Eric Clapton, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Ry Cooder, Little Feat, etc.), and recorded in New Orleans, Nashville, and London, this ambitious collection of vocals and instrumentals enlists a truly awesome cast of characters in support of an epic vision that combines Country/Bluegrass, R&B, and even a ballad with roots in the British Isles (Paul Simons The Boxer performed with Mumford & Sons and the song s composer.) Other highlights include two New Orleans classics--- Something You Got, with vocals and guitar by Eric Clapton; and High Blood Pressure, with vocals by Keb Mo and a gang of the Crescent City s finest including Dr. John.

This is one great album listening experience, the whole album is great all the way through. One of the year's best releases so far.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #36 of 102
I've been going back through this thread and picking some of the suggestions for listening. In doing so, I couldn't help but notice an interesting little comparison between two suggestions that were posted. Forum member mutabor suggested Beach House - Bloom:

On the other hand, forum member golgi suggested Frankie Rose - Interstellar:

I couldn't help but notice that the cover artwork is somewhat similar, at least to my eyes. Perhaps that is what drew me to give both of these records a listen. After listening to them, it seems to me that both of these artists are working in a similar genre. I will say right off the bat that this really isn't my genre. I'm usually more of a bluesy, rootsy, rock 'n roll type of guy. Something like Joe Bonamassa - Driving Towards The Daylight suggested by forum member KneelJung, is much more in my wheelhouse. (I've been giving that one a listen too.)

I don't really know what this genre is called. I'd call it something like "Female Spacey Dream Pop" or something. It's the type of music I'd listen to at bedtime or for relaxation I guess. It's not the type of music I'd be blasting in my car.

Anyway, after listening a little, if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Frankie Rose - Interstellar as the better record. Perhaps this is just because it more naturally suits my own tastes. It has a more driving sound to it and more drums. I just found it to be a little more engaging and have more energy. In this genre, though, perhaps that isn't the point. Others might find Beach House - Bloom to be more relaxing, which I think is probably the point with this genre.

Anyway, I couldn't help but compare these two suggestions. I think anyone who likes either one of these records might possibly enjoy the other one as well. Maybe it's just me, but I found them to have a lot of similarities. Your mileage may vary. Thanks to mutabor and golgi for posting these two suggestions and giving me a chance to listen to some stuff I never would have heard if not for their suggestions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #37 of 102
Excellent music.Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Flying Colors - Self-titled debut

I've been digging this lately. An assembled "super group" of sorts, it's a solid hard rock album with prog influences. Interestingly, this is one of the latest projects of Mike Portnoy, the former drummer of Dream Theater.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #38 of 102
Quote:
 Forum member mutabor suggested Beach House - Bloom:

forum member golgi suggested Frankie Rose - Interstellar:

These two albums are GREAT, very nice recommendations.  Continuing with the dreamy pop, another good album, Porcelain Raft's Strange Weekend is hard to resist (try the 1st track )

And this single by the Chromatics is one of my favorite songs of the year, but I haven't found the album yet-

Spiritualized have put out a really good album with more guitars than I remember (try track 2), very reminiscent of Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #41 of 102
I found another new one to add to the list. It's the debut album by The Lumineers. Good stuff in a folksy-indie-rock vein:

Here's a video:

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #44 of 102
Quote:
The Beach Boys new album is a landmark as all surviving founding members are on it and it is pure magic. Brian Wilson songs still shine as ioes the band 50 years later. Americas Best Band

They had the new album, That's Why God Made The Radio, available on Amazon for $0.99 earlier this week, so I downloaded it. My first question was, "Are the harmonies still there after all these years?" Well, that question was answered with the first track. Without a doubt, the harmonies are still there. I've only listened to the whole album once through so far. It's going to take me some more listening to evaluate the ultimate quality of the songwriting, because they have some very tough standards to try to live up to. There's no doubt about the fact that the harmonies and the summer feeling and the sound are still present. Like a nice ocean breeze...

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #45 of 102

BT - If the Stars are Eternal so are You and I

This album is supposedly the follow up to my favorite album of all time (BT's This Binary Universe)...I can see a lot of elements from it but I see quite a bit from These Hopeful Machines as well. It's an absolutely amazing journey of an album. Fantastic dynamic range as well. Hard to find in an Electronic album.

BT - Nuovo Morceau Subrosa

This came out at the same time the above album did but is very different. It's definitely more of an Ambient work than anything else he's ever done, but it's another amazing BT album. It's actually presented as one 46 minute long track and should only ever be listened to that way. Just...stunning. 

----

I'd been waiting for these albums since the talks started awhile back about them. Really blown away with both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back