New Releases 2012 - No Records Released Before 2012
Jun 14, 2012 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

StratocasterMan

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to start a thread about new music released in 2012. The purpose of this thread is to give everyone ideas of new stuff to listen to. We are almost halfway through the year 2012. Please post pictures, ideas, comments, reviews, etc. about new music you are listening to. The rule for this thread is only post about recordings that were not released until at least January 1, 2012. Any genre or type of music is okay, but the records should be ones that were released after January 1, 2012. That way, everything in here should be new and fresh for people looking for new music.

I'll get us started with some new stuff I've been listening to.

Dr. John - Locked Down

The good Doctor returns with a heady mix of New Orleans gumbo that is sure to please old and new fans alike. This album was produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. Some of it is politically charged, and it combines many different styles of music.

Bobby Womack - The Bravest Man In The Universe

R & B and Soul legend Bobby Womack's new record is his first new album since 1994. [size=small]Co-produced by Damon Albarn (Gorillaz, Blur) and Richard Russell, this album combines soul and R & B stylings with electronica and samples for a whole new sound.[/size]

Diamond Rugs - Diamond Rugs

This is the debut album by Diamond Rugs. It's a side project of Deer Tick's John McCauley along with members of Dead ConfederateThe Black Lips, and Six Finger Satellite, along with Steve Berlin from Los Lobos. It's a straight-ahead rock record that is getting compared to bands like The Replacements.

The Bombay Royale - You Me Bullets Love

This is the debut album by The Bombay Royale. I've never heard anything quite like it. Apparently, it was made by some Australian musicians who are fascinated with old Bollywood movies. The album was made as if it's the soundtrack to a movie, however, the movie doesn't exist. What it sounds like is themes from a bunch of old James Bond movies, if those movies were made in India. Almost all of the vocals are in Hindi or Bengali, as far as I know. It has plenty of horns, synths, and electric guitars and an infectious groove. If you want to hear something truly different, check it out.

The Rolling Stones - L.A. Friday (Live 1975)

Okay, this live album is from 1975, but it wasn't released until 2012. It was around as bootlegs, but it was never released and it didn't become an official Rolling Stones release until 2012. This album finds the band with newly acquired guitarist Ron Wood. Also, Billy Preston is featured prominently in the performance, and takes center stage to perform two of his own songs. The Stones sound like they are having a rollicking good time with the new lineup. I would have to say that Mick Jagger takes a very casual approach to his vocals on this record. He sounds like he isn't too concerned with getting the lyrics right or actually singing his best, but he sure sounds like he is having a good time. It's great to hear this concert professionally produced and released, as it's like a trip back in time.

John Fullbright - From The Ground Up

This is the debut studio album from a young man from Oklahoma. His influences include people like Townes Van Zandt and Woody Guthrie. Some of his lyrical content takes a spiritual bent. He sounds skilled way beyond his years on this impressive studio debut that I would file under "Americana."

Well, okay. That should get us started. That will give you an idea of some of the brand new music I've been listening to since the start of 2012. Please contribute your own insight into some of the best new sounds (any genre) released after January 1, 2012, so everyone will have ideas about fresh new stuff to hear! The records above are some of what I've been listening to, but please join in with hip-hop, jazz, classical, metal, or anything else you like that's new!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 102
I really hope this thread takes off.

One of my favorite bands to break out this year, BADBADNOTGOOD. Three guys, one on drums, one on bass, one on keyboard. These guys make jazz music in name, but this isn't your papa's jazz trio. They do a lot of hip-hop, indie rock, etc. covers and can have a fast-paced, hard-edged sound at times. Overall, a very refreshing take on jazz music and I am eager to hear more out of these guys. They've released a live album and a studio album so far in 2012, but I think their 2011 recordings are very much worth visiting too. All their albums are free to download off their Bandcamp IIRC.

Here's on of my favorite tracks, Electric Relaxation, which is actually a Tribe Called Quest cover.

I

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 102
Clockwork Angels - Rush
51FQxoVrNsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rush's 20th studio album. For many, their work started to decline after Power Windows and only recently picked back up with Snakes and Arrows. However, this album is pure genius. It's full of hints of their earlier works including homages to some well known songs of theirs. It takes a harder tone similar to their last album which, as mentioned above, was Snakes and Arrows. It's supposed to be a concept album but unless you read in the inserts in the booklet with the CD/LP, it can all seem very loose. It illustrates a story as well as give you insight into the trio's introspective feelings of their own career. Its' a very solid album and I can't help but feel this is meant to be their last one. Definitely worth checking out, Rush fan or not. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 102
Quote:
I really hope this thread takes off.

One of my favorite bands to break out this year, BADBADNOTGOOD. Three guys, one on drums, one on bass, one on keyboard. These guys make jazz music in name, but this isn't your papa's jazz trio. They do a lot of hip-hop, indie rock, etc. covers and can have a fast-paced, hard-edged sound at times. Overall, a very refreshing take on jazz music and I am eager to hear more out of these guys. They've released a live album and a studio album so far in 2012, but I think their 2011 recordings are very much worth visiting too. All their albums are free to download off their Bandcamp IIRC.

Here's on of my favorite tracks, Electric Relaxation, which is actually a Tribe Called Quest cover.

I

Thanks for participating! I watched the video above and listened to 'Electric Relaxation.' I also checked Spotify and MOG for anything by Badbadnotgood. Both services only had one track by the band. It is 'Fall In Love' from a compilation album by various artists called 'Digging The Blogosphere,' so I listened to that song. So now I've listened to two tracks by Badbadnotgood. I enjoyed them both. The keyboard player and bass player both seem talented beyond their years. I'm really not familiar with how use or even where to find Bandcamp IIRC. Any tips about that?

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 102
Quote:

Thanks for participating! I watched the video above and listened to 'Electric Relaxation.' I also checked Spotify and MOG for anything by Badbadnotgood. Both services only had one track by the band. It is 'Fall In Love' from a compilation album by various artists called 'Digging The Blogosphere,' so I listened to that song. So now I've listened to two tracks by Badbadnotgood. I enjoyed them both. The keyboard player and bass player both seem talented beyond their years. I'm really not familiar with how use or even where to find Bandcamp IIRC. Any tips about that?

Glad to hear you're diggin' them too. Bandcamp is a music streaming/download service. A lot of new bands host their music on the site.

http://bandcamp.com/

http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/

You should be able to find the download links right on the same page.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 102
Quote:
Clockwork Angels - Rush

Rush's 20th studio album. For many, their work started to decline after Power Windows and only recently picked back up with Snakes and Arrows. However, this album is pure genius. It's full of hints of their earlier works including homages to some well known songs of theirs. It takes a harder tone similar to their last album which, as mentioned above, was Snakes and Arrows. It's supposed to be a concept album but unless you read in the inserts in the booklet with the CD/LP, it can all seem very loose. It illustrates a story as well as give you insight into the trio's introspective feelings of their own career. Its' a very solid album and I can't help but feel this is meant to be their last one. Definitely worth checking out, Rush fan or not. 

Thanks for the suggestion. To be quite honest, Rush is one band I've never been able to get into. I've never owned any of their records, but of course I've heard some of their material on classic rock radio for decades. I did check Spotify and MOG, but neither service had their new album. Is there any of the new album streaming anywhere or maybe a track from the new one on YouTube? I'm willing to give it a listen and a try if there's anywhere online I can hear some of the new record.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 102
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. To be quite honest, Rush is one band I've never been able to get into. I've never owned any of their records, but of course I've heard some of their material on classic rock radio for decades. I did check Spotify and MOG, but neither service had their new album. Is there any of the new album streaming anywhere or maybe a track from the new one on YouTube? I'm willing to give it a listen and a try if there's anywhere online I can hear some of the new record.

Give "Headlong Flight" or "Caravan" a shot on youtube. Both are singles released from the album. They are a hard band to get into admittedly and their style changed so drastically over time. But give one of those a shot. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 102
Quote:

Glad to hear you're diggin' them too. Bandcamp is a music streaming/download service. A lot of new bands host their music on the site.

http://bandcamp.com/

http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/

You should be able to find the download links right on the same page.

Well, this thread is paying off for me. I went to the download page at:

http://badbadnotgood.com/

Badbadnotgood's new album BBNG2 is available there for free download. I know a lot of people are always looking for some free high resolution downloads, and I was able to download the entire album there in 96 / 24 FLAC for free. Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 102
Quote:
Give "Headlong Flight" or "Caravan" a shot on youtube. Both are singles released from the album. They are a hard band to get into admittedly and their style changed so drastically over time. But give one of those a shot. 

I did give both songs a listen on YouTube. For some reason, Rush just still isn't my cup of tea. I did enjoy checking out their new music though, and I'm sure their fans are very happy about the new album. Thanks for directing me so I could check it out. 
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 102
Katie Melua - Secret Symphony

Good stuff for anyone who's a fan of hers.

Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts

Also good stuff for Norah fans. I like the edgier style she has on this album compared to previous ones.

Nicola Benedetti - Italia

Latest album from this classical violinist who I discovered just last year. I like her playing style and the album has some very nice selections along with good sound quality.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 102
Quote:

Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts

Also good stuff for Norah fans. I like the edgier style she has on this album compared to previous ones.

I haven't listened to the new Norah Jones album yet. I'll make sure to check that one out.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 102
Quote:

I did give both songs a listen on YouTube. For some reason, Rush just still isn't my cup of tea. I did enjoy checking out their new music though, and I'm sure their fans are very happy about the new album. Thanks for directing me so I could check it out. 
smile.gif

I completely understand. You either like them, or you don't. They've never really be an in between band for people. However, it's great to see someone give them a shot instead of just saying "Ew, Rush..."

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 102
Quote:
Clockwork Angels - Rush

I checked out this thread to see if anyone had mentioned this release yet. I am totally smitten with the album and have already listened to it about a dozen times. I just can't get enough of it! I am the only Rush fan in my household and don't have anyone to gush on and on about it to. I was hoping to find a few kindred spirits here at least. :)

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #15 of 102
Quote:
For 21st century art-music

I haven't had a chance to listen to all suggestions in this thread, but I'm working on it. I skipped ahead to this one, perhaps because the cover was intriguing. I found it on Spotify, and it met my criteria as a 2012 new release, so I did sit down and listen to the entire album. I also looked it up on Amazon, so I could get a little background on it. I learned that it is an experimental project between a classical violinist and a person who plays modified pianos.

I found it interesting, but I'm not sure how often I'll come back to it. Because it is so experimental and improvised, it does seem to lack song structure. I'm not sure that any particular song really sticks out in my mind as memorable. However, it did have a somewhat pleasing "background music" element to it that I didn't find distasteful. I think the brief description of "21st century art-music" is fitting. While I was listening to it, I thought that if I was a painter who was going to display my paintings in a gallery, I might have this music playing softly on a stereo in the background. I'm not a painter, but I imagined people browsing a gallery and looking at different paintings while this music played quietly for ambiance. I also found that I could listen to this music through headphones while working on other things on my computer. Rather than intensely focusing on the music, I found it had a pleasant but not too distracting sound that worked well as listening material while my primary focus was my computer tasks.

Thanks for posting it and giving me a chance to listen to it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back