New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Jun 10, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #411 of 625
Yeah I'm no expert but the main 2 methods are to just leave music playing through or run noise. The noises have been said to speed things a long and also make sure all frequencies get hit. There are a lot of youtube videos you can use but I just used the ones on this page and followed the plan suggested. https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=3337204&hl=

Some will do this before even using them but I would suggest doing this over night when you won't use them and enjoy them normally in between. Some won't notice a difference while others will. I feel like it helped smooth out the treble a bit for me.

Also I believe you want to have the volume at a decently loud level. What is cool is if you can find a place for the head band to hang down you can lay the ear pads flat and it will almost completely silence them if you set something on top. Nothing too heavy though, like a small book.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #413 of 625
  The Havi B3 Pro 1 can be a nice, neutral entry-level IEM.  Though, like the AKG K553s, fit is everything.  They do better with amplification, but I am able to drive them to my satisfaction from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  Reviews abound and can be found with a simple Head-Fi or Google search.

After several weeks of burn in, I have to say that I am liking the AKG K553s more and more.  As summer heats up, they can occasionally feel a little hot during long listening sessions (quickly relieved by taking a short break with them.)  Aside from the occasional heat issue on hot days, they are very comfortable and isolate nicely (I use them at work in an open seating plan and even with them playing quite loud, my coworkers have never complained about being able to hear them.)

As they have broken in, I've really come to love them.  They have a very neutral sound signature, but with nice clarity.  Bass isn't huge but has nice timbre and resolution.  As an all-arounder, I'm really pleased with them (I listen to a very wide range of music).  I recommend trying them, even if you missed the Massdrop steal.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #414 of 625
Deal is live again for those that missed it before:

AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphone - Mass Drop $
119.9​
+ FREE shipping to ​
color]

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #415 of 625
Finally got around to installing the HM5 pads on my K553. Man, when people say it's a tight fit to get them on, they weren't kidding! Next mod will either to recable it with a removable cable connector and finding a 3.5mm jack similar to the AKG one. Will probably have to order a spare cable from Harmon. I am interested in getting a Sennheiser headband padding, but not sure how to take off the crappy black one on there right now. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #416 of 625
  Finally got around to installing the HM5 pads on my K553. Man, when people say it's a tight fit to get them on, they weren't kidding! Next mod will either to recable it with a removable cable connector and finding a 3.5mm jack similar to the AKG one. Will probably have to order a spare cable from Harmon. I am interested in getting a Sennheiser headband padding, but not sure how to take off the crappy black one on there right now. 

it is an intensely tight fit that may require two people to get done. you can start at the notch region and then just spin the earpads into place which is much easier than stretching, but it is a bit of a involved process.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #417 of 625
it is an intensely tight fit that may require two people to get done. you can start at the notch region and then just spin the earpads into place which is much easier than stretching, but it is a bit of a involved process.

That's what she said :L3000:

Sorry. Just had to :wink_face:

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #419 of 625
  Waitin' for mine, too.
Dis gon be gud.
popcorn.gif

And I'll probably mod 'em.  Time to source another HD280 headband pad, too, as 553 is using the same damn headband as its predecessors.  =\
Would it have killed AKG to thicken the headband pad or use denser foam in it?

Now I must add: would it have hurt to use denser foam for the earpads, too?  Mine seem "understuffed".  Well, HM5 pads are an improvement though they warm up the sound, tilt the balance into a pleasantly sweet and analogue-like character when the stock sound seems to go for a neutral-like sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back