New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
May 31, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #391 of 625

what you say makes sense. however, I've been testing different earpads for quite some time on various headphones (switch pads listen to the same song, one pad on each ear & then switch sides) and I've personally found it difficult to reliably isolate specific particular sonic changes.

Do note, I have NOT had a chance to extensively test the brainwavz velour earpads vs the stock pleather on the akg k553. I do think that the k553 is a really great candidate for testing as I did get a "sense" that there may be a difference. However, I don't like to say there is a difference unless I can reliably isolate it in direct comparisons, so will update in maybe a week or so when I have more free time. Planning on writing an in-depth k553 review :)

I took mine out on the streets for the first time today and was surprised at how little they blocked out. Maybe I was thinking more of on ear because over ears dont have a lot of skin to seal against. Especially if you have hair getting in the way. A full review would be interesting. I know there are some conflicting ones in this thread already. They didn't sound the way I expected exactly from what I read here, but mostly just in the bass section.

Listening to this on them now and it sounds very cool: https://idmfnetlabel.bandcamp.com/album/anagram3-adrift-idmf041

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #393 of 625
My on-the-go package for my K553 is finished. The K553 are really tight in the case but they fit.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #394 of 625
What Case is that? Looking for something for my K553

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #395 of 625
What Case is that? Looking for something for my K553

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YONZEG?ref_=pe_1196280_123950170
But if you have the original cable I don't think you will able to fit them or if you fit them there will a lot of strain on the cable.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #396 of 625
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YONZEG?ref_=pe_1196280_123950170
But if you have the original cable I don't think you will able to fit them or if you fit them there will a lot of strain on the cable.

I guess that means that you had a removable cable installed. Care to mention where you got it done... or if you did it yourself what did you use?

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #397 of 625

I guess that means that you had a removable cable installed. Care to mention where you got it done... or if you did it yourself what did you use?

Cityle did it. http://www.head-fi.org/t/764773/how-to-akg-k553-pro-detachable-cable-mod-and-for-k550-and-k551-lot-of-images

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #398 of 625

Thanks. Doesn't look too be that hard!

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #399 of 625
@yeahx: Thanks for posting that link. I loves me some old skool IDM and am going to check out more from that label on Bandcamp. Any other suggestions?

Back on topic: Been listening to New Fiio X5 with K553. Not too shabby
wink_face.gif

Not ignoring you btw, when I hear more that makes me go wow on my K553 I will keep you posted here or PM. :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #402 of 625
How good do these headphones sound? 
I need a pair of closed headphones and I think I'm going to buy these on the next massdrop, but since I live in Europe, I'll end up with them costing at ~300$ with taxes and shipping. Any better alternatives in this price range?

For the moment I have a pair of Creative Aurvana Live, which sounds pretty good actually, for its money at least.
I've listened to a pair of K550 for a few hours, and although they sounded nice, they also missed bass impact and weight and the mids were too thin.
How would K553 compare?

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #405 of 625
Waitin' for mine, too.
Dis gon be gud.
popcorn.gif

And I'll probably mod 'em.  Time to source another HD280 headband pad, too, as 553 is using the same damn headband as its predecessors.  =\
Would it have killed AKG to thicken the headband pad or use denser foam in it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back