New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 28, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #227 of 625
I got a strooong feelin this has already been asked, but did not fancy reading through ALL pages (read through 7 so far). Long time lurker here, and haven't even posted in the introductions yet! I just jumped on the train on this one, 'cause simply, I couldn't resist. I've read some saying that if you go up to the 180$ range, there's other phones to look at. But, which phones are ya'll actually talking about? The fact of the matter is that with shipping and VAT, I end up paying quite exactly 180$ for these phones. Just looking to see whether there are some other options I should rather consider at that price!
What I want is a comfy headset with a large soundstage, and high detailed sound. It'll be mainly used as a at home phone, that may quite likely be used for gaming, but most definitely be used to listen to a lot of different genres. The only "audiophile" headset I've owned is the B&W P5, which I like a lot. 
Lemme know if you want some other information! And again, this might already have been brought up, so sorry if it has.

EDIT: Should probably add that whether it is open or closed ain't really a big deal. Closed back is a plus, so that I don't drive my GF crazy, but I could easily do with an open back as well (especially if it increases the soundstage a noticeably amount. My original reason for being interested in the K553 was the soundstage everyone was talking about). 

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #228 of 625
 My original reason for being interested in the K553 was the soundstage everyone was talking about). 

This is what got me too so Im really hoping they were right. Someone on another forum who has the 550s convinced me just by saying "soundstage" because he knew from a previous discussion that Im a sucker for it.

Now I wait until next month to find out?

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #229 of 625
  This is what got me too so Im really hoping they were right. Someone on another forum who has the 550s convinced me just by saying "soundstage" because he knew from a previous discussion that Im a sucker for it.

Now I wait until next month to find out?

Haha, good thing I'm not alone then! I just love the feeling of the music not being restricted, but feeling that I actually sit in a damn large room listening to some good music. Sadly, I ain't got TOO much money to boast around with, so I can't exactly buy a new headphone every other month. And I've also been quite content with my P5's. But, who knows.. Maybe this is my entry ticket to the rabbit hole called adiophile headphones.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #230 of 625
  Haha, good thing I'm not alone then! I just love the feeling of the music not being restricted, but feeling that I actually sit in a damn large room listening to some good music. Sadly, I ain't got TOO much money to boast around with, so I can't exactly buy a new headphone every other month. And I've also been quite content with my P5's. But, who knows.. Maybe this is my entry ticket to the rabbit hole called adiophile headphones.

My Sennheiser HD555s have great soundstage but are not great at anything but acoustic and classical so hopefully these might be a bit better.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #231 of 625
I have a little question for all of you who are knowledgeable on the subject of removable cable mod. Considering I have ~18mm of clearance inside these cans, should I go with this ~17.8mm audio jack or this ~14.5mm one? Which of the two will have a better sound, if there is any difference? Can I bend a little bit the longest contact termination on the first one?
Thanks

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #232 of 625
  The drop has ended again now.

It's still on. 

Note: This drop is limited to 675 units for the first batch shipping in early May. We have secured an additional 750 headphones scheduled for delivery in early June, act now to secure your pair.

As of this post, 720 have been purchased.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #233 of 625
I got a strooong feelin this has already been asked, but did not fancy reading through ALL pages (read through 7 so far). Long time lurker here, and haven't even posted in the introductions yet! I just jumped on the train on this one, 'cause simply, I couldn't resist. I've read some saying that if you go up to the 180$ range, there's other phones to look at. But, which phones are ya'll actually talking about? The fact of the matter is that with shipping and VAT, I end up paying quite exactly 180$ for these phones. Just looking to see whether there are some other options I should rather consider at that price!
What I want is a comfy headset with a large soundstage, and high detailed sound. It'll be mainly used as a at home phone, that may quite likely be used for gaming, but most definitely be used to listen to a lot of different genres. The only "audiophile" headset I've owned is the B&W P5, which I like a lot. 
Lemme know if you want some other information! And again, this might already have been brought up, so sorry if it has.

EDIT: Should probably add that whether it is open or closed ain't really a big deal. Closed back is a plus, so that I don't drive my GF crazy, but I could easily do with an open back as well (especially if it increases the soundstage a noticeably amount. My original reason for being interested in the K553 was the soundstage everyone was talking about). 

If you want a closed back for general listening, gaming + a decent sound stage, check out the A900x. Larger soundstage with better imaging to my ears compared to the K553

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #234 of 625
I like these headphones. Detailed without being bright, balanced, stronger bass than the K550. And the best thing? The fit is much more secure than with the K550. The sound (esp the bass) does not shift around if you move your head.

Special thanks to money4me247 for all his help in getting these for me.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #235 of 625
Today and tomorrow, I'm putting these head to head against my AKG Q701's. I paid pretty much the same price for both of them all said and done. So far, I find the Q701's a bit more comfortable. But, I have quite a few hours of listening to do before I'll comment any farther. :)

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #236 of 625
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #237 of 625
Funny I already said it was back on a couple of post later but 2 people have told me. 
wink_face.gif
 Glad I got in earlier though, the wait is already going to be bad enough.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #238 of 625

Users who are viewing this thread

Back