New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #151 of 625

http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00BF6IKL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429578581&sr=8-1&keywords=CASEBUDi+Headphone+Case+-+Extra+Large+-+XL

Everyone uses these cases, I have one and it's great.  

Asie: I am still looking for one more suited to my 553/551 as they fold flat so they could fit in a much thinner profile, if anyone knows of one, i'm sure many of us here would be interested.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #152 of 625

Something up to the $100 price range, $150 pushing it.  Just want something for more portability, comfort and sounds decent.  Looking at the Audio Technica IM50, IM70, IM02 and Sure SE215's.

if you want insane detail, Etymotic HF5's can be found for 100ish (got mine for 70bucks new!!)

your best bet for compairing iems would be
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/
its my go-to (well the thread here on HF that links based on was)
i have dozens of IEM's around here, some of the ones the fellow is going to sell may be up your ally....
for me comfort in iem's, can only give 2 suggestions i would call truly comfy for LONG listening
SoundMagic PL50: they are around 50-60usd, you need to add Sony Hybrid ear tips, but this combo you can actually forget you have in, i use to sleep in mine, they also EQ very well, they really are IMHO the most comfortable IEMs you can find(everybody i know whos owned them has agreed)

Etymotic: pretty much all their sets i have tried have had the same fit using the same tips, I bought the HF5's because they use the same driver as the flagship ER-4 line, but cost far less, when they where on sale i actually bought 2 sets, been glad i did, i use them constantly when on the go, and have had to rma each set once (driver failed in one, the other the cable failed near the plug) Etymotic are EXCELLENT with support, i just got my 2nd rma set of hf5's back, sent them in a week ago, they also offer something i dont know that anybody else does, a trade in program for out of warranty iem's, when these are out of warr and a set fails, im going to grab the ER4PT for 180(they are normally 300bucks so...) 

I just got my K533's and, so far im impressed, using my note3 to drive them and im below 1/2 volume and they sound great...gonna test with my other players later...try a couple amps for the hell of it...but these DO NOT NEED AN AMP AT ALL!!!

[Combined by Mod]

cant tell if serious question, but basically for ppl who believe to burn in, the gist will always be after burn in, sounds much better.

anybody whos had a set of jvc rx900's can tell you, they REALLY CHANGE, i have had sets that dont really change in any appriciable way over time, but, some, like pretty much anything decent by JVC will show burnin(dynamic drivers that is) 

I get what your saying but, till I got the 900's years ago, i thought burnin was bs.....now, i know its not....they really do sound amazingly better after like 20+hrs burn in...i keep them around to let friends use when they are here (so they leave my other stuff alone :p

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #154 of 625
  unboxing video if anyone is interested.  BTW, these are certainly worth owning.

Funny, I just watched your video on the AiAiAi TMA-2's and then show up here and notice this post. Curious, any chance you could do a comparison for me? I was looking at them because they looked like a good option for someone still trying to learn their preferred sound profile. I believe I like them a bit warmer so I was going to go with a Young Guru set-up but the S3 drivers if I bought them. A bit hesitant since they're not open and I'm not sure yet if I prefer closed versus open (AKG 553 and HD650's are my only references). They look to be all plastic too, what do you think of the AKG all metal design versus something like that all plastic design?

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #157 of 625
I just got mine today.  Out of the box they're MUCH better than my Audio Technica ATH-m50 which I've had for years.  The bass is good and tight but not overly flabby.  The mids and highs match the smooth bass. The m50 might have a bit better sound stage, but the AKG sound stage might open up after burn in.  My only complaint is that they lay flat the wrong way!  when on my head the cups turn facing up and don't lay flat on my chest.  To lay them flat I have to remove them and turn them around the wrong way so the cups are the right direction, but the left is on my right shoulder and the right is on my left shoulder.  Why would AKG make such a silly mistake?

-Robert

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #158 of 625
  I just got mine today.  Out of the box they're MUCH better than my Audio Technica ATH-m50 which I've had for years.  The bass is good and tight but not overly flabby.  The mids and highs match the smooth bass. The m50 might have a bit better sound stage, but the AKG sound stage might open up after burn in.  My only complaint is that they lay flat the wrong way!  when on my head the cups turn facing up and don't lay flat on my chest.  To lay them flat I have to remove them and turn them around the wrong way so the cups are the right direction, but the left is on my right shoulder and the right is on my left shoulder.  Why would AKG make such a silly mistake?

-Robert

The way it's currently designed - If you're working at a desk and someone comes over for a chat, you'll be able to take them off your head and fold them flat on the table. I never thought about resting them on my chest before, but you're right that the cans don't fold the right way for such a purpose!

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #159 of 625

-Robert

the proper way to wear these around your neck is to make a V shape with the earcups with the bottom of the V on your chest and the wide part of the V by your face. considering how wide the earcups, folding them flat while they are on your neck will slightly choke you. not recommended.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #160 of 625
The ATH-m50 turn both ways, which is nice.  When wearing them on the airplane, I can quickly take them off, turn them to rest on my chest, order my drink, then flip them back on again... Super convenient.  At my office desk, I listen to HD650 with a Valhalla amp and Bifrost Uber DAC.  These K553 are strictly for portable listening for me.  I have to admit they're really nice sounding.  AKG make great cans.  I love my K1000 headphones with SET tube amp!

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #161 of 625
I've used my pair for about 3 hours now and I'll probably end up selling them. Not because they're bad, they're actually really awesome. I'm very happy with the sound and the quality. The only issue is my ears must be too big as they're touching the inside surface and causing some soreness :p 

I might try and mod the padding to be just a LITTLE bit thicker to fit my ears properly. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #163 of 625
From the looks of, it looks like you're interested in bass-enhanced IEM. Are you looking for a different sound signature to complement the AKG you just purchased?

For under $150, I'm currently enjoying the following: Brainwavz S0 & S5, TPEOS Altone200 (if you can get them used), and Vsonic VSD5. The S0 have smooth high end, but the rest are slightly v-shaped.

I also just backed the Trinity Hyperion (single micro dynamic) and Delta (double hybrid - 1 dynamic + 1 BA). Both together are under $150. Reviews by Brooko and Mark are quite promising and can be found with a quick search.

If you're interested in used gear at all, I'm going to list several lesser-used IEM soon (Astrotec, Fischer, Havi, Klipsch, RHA, Vsonic, Yamaha, Zero Audio). Might be something there you're interested in.
But from the IEM he expressed interest in, looks like he's more interested in a bit more boom-boom
L3000.gif

Which Fischer?

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #165 of 625
Just got my massdrop AKG K553 today, the sound is very impressive. I am so happy and played with them for hours. But there are things that I am a little unhappy with. 

The first and the most important one for me personally is the isolation. Or I may say sound leak other than isolation because it will cut off a lot of environment noise if you get a good seal. However, if you use it in a quite place (like a library) others can actually hear the music clearly from the headphone When the volume is just 50% from 5 meters away (it is OK for less than around 25% volume). AKG market the k553 for "closed headphone that sounds like open" and they did "open" part very well. The sound stage is good. But it is not a traditional closed headphone as I expect. I might say AKG K553 is a well sealed semi-closed headphone.

Second is no detachable cable, which I knew before I bought it. I bought a big cord wrap to reduce the length of cable which looks much nicer but I feel the cord wrap with full of cable is kind of heavy when I use it with my cellphone. 

Don't get me wrong. I think for $120 (massdrop deal), it is a no brainer. K553 is a over all very good headphone. I like its stylish metal, big can, large sound stage and decent SQ.

I am thinking of detachable mod from btg-audio. 10 feet cable is not convenient even with the cord organizer.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back