New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 19, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #136 of 625
Best to hear both. K553 are great and I wouldn't have looked for other closed if AKG provided better isolation. HP50 do have a laid back sound but it is still clear and nothing sounds slow. K553 to me are not closed, semi closed because isolation is atrocious.

I'm keeping them.  I've only listened to them for about an hour so far with the new X3.  They sound good to me, and couldn't beat the massdrop price!  Down the road I'll had another pair, or maybe an open pair.   Next up is a decent pair of IEM's.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #138 of 625
Don't accidentally turn that stove on @emze
wink_face.gif

What're you looking for in an IEM?

Something up to the $100 price range, $150 pushing it.  Just want something for more portability, comfort and sounds decent.  Looking at the Audio Technica IM50, IM70, IM02 and Sure SE215's.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #140 of 625
Something up to the $100 price range, $150 pushing it.  Just want something for more portability, comfort and sounds decent.  Looking at the Audio Technica IM50, IM70, IM02 and Sure SE215's.

From the looks of, it looks like you're interested in bass-enhanced IEM. Are you looking for a different sound signature to complement the AKG you just purchased?

For under $150, I'm currently enjoying the following: Brainwavz S0 & S5, TPEOS Altone200 (if you can get them used), and Vsonic VSD5. The S0 have smooth high end, but the rest are slightly v-shaped.

I also just backed the Trinity Hyperion (single micro dynamic) and Delta (double hybrid - 1 dynamic + 1 BA). Both together are under $150. Reviews by Brooko and Mark are quite promising and can be found with a quick search.

If you're interested in used gear at all, I'm going to list several lesser-used IEM soon (Astrotec, Fischer, Havi, Klipsch, RHA, Vsonic, Yamaha, Zero Audio). Might be something there you're interested in.

DUNU Titan might fit the bill, it's rather impressive for the price. Also HiFiMAN RE400. 

But from the IEM he expressed interest in, looks like he's more interested in a bit more boom-boom :L3000:

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #141 of 625
From the looks of, it looks like you're interested in bass-enhanced IEM. Are you looking for a different sound signature to complement the AKG you just purchased?

For under $150, I'm currently enjoying the following: Brainwavz S0 & S5, TPEOS Altone200 (if you can get them used), and Vsonic VSD5. The S0 have smooth high end, but the rest are slightly v-shaped.

I also just backed the Trinity Hyperion (single micro dynamic) and Delta (double hybrid - 1 dynamic + 1 BA). Both together are under $150. Reviews by Brooko and Mark are quite promising and can be found with a quick search.

If you're interested in used gear at all, I'm going to list several lesser-used IEM soon (Astrotec, Fischer, Havi, Klipsch, RHA, Vsonic, Yamaha, Zero Audio). Might be something there you're interested in.
But from the IEM he expressed interest in, looks like he's more interested in a bit more boom-boom
L3000.gif

Not really after tons of bass, those listed were just what have been recommended price wise.  Neutral or something with not so overwhelming bass is fine.  You going to list those here, or elsewhere? 

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #142 of 625
The Havi B3 Pro 1 can be a nice, neutral entry-level IEM.  Though, like the AKG K553s, fit is everything.  They do better with amplification, but I am able to drive them to my satisfaction from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  Reviews abound and can be found with a simple Head-Fi or Google search.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #143 of 625
In a previous reply, I compared the new 553 to the older 550 that I owned previously. I compared them from memory. Today, had a chance to compare my son in laws 550s to my 553s
Side by side. They are both about 3 days old. Turns out, the pads are identical! One pair is not thicker than the other. Bass response is ever so slightly deeper on the 553s and the highs are more tamed/smoothed out. These are minor differences but they are noticeable with the right music. If you just put on one set and then the other, most people wouldn't hear any difference. It takes a while to catch these differences.
So my memory served me well as that's pretty much what I said in a previous reply. I only thought pads were thinner because on the 553s , my ear sometimes touch the speaker assy and I don't remember that happening on the 550s. They are the same though. Physically identical too other than the 550s say "reference" on the ear ups and the 553s says "professional studio". As a side note, to get proper bass response, these phones must be adjusted just right for a proper seal. Otherwise, they will obviously sound thin.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #144 of 625
In a previous reply, I compared the new 553 to the older 550 that I owned previously. I compared them from memory. Today, had a chance to compare my son in laws 550s to my 553s
Side by side. They are both about 3 days old. Turns out, the pads are identical! One pair is not thicker than the other. Bass response is ever so slightly deeper on the 553s and the highs are more tamed/smoothed out. These are minor differences but they are noticeable with the right music. If you just put on one set and then the other, most people wouldn't hear any difference. It takes a while to catch these differences.
So my memory served me well as that's pretty much what I said in a previous reply. I only thought pads were thinner because on the 553s , my ear sometimes touch the speaker assy and I don't remember that happening on the 550s. They are the same though. Physically identical too other than the 550s say "reference" on the ear ups and the 553s says "professional studio". As a side note, to get proper bass response, these phones must be adjusted just right for a proper seal. Otherwise, they will obviously sound thin.

I still need to do the same with my 551s and 553s, i think the old gen 550s had different pads and the seal was less consistent. But it is funny to me how the 550s have always seemed to be called "slightly bass light" and now people are saying the 553s are a bit too bassy!

I used to have a pair of 550s, after a while with them I got the 551s and thought that my 551 didn't sound full bass wise until ~200 hours burn in. But when i got the 553s they seem identical to my burned in 551s right out of the box. Either way they are the best $120 headphone ever :)

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #146 of 625
I cancelled my 553's from Massdrop at the last minute because I got some refurbed 545's for $130. They're brand new as far as I can tell and sound fantastic. Plus for home listening I'll be using open cans and really wouldn't have much use for the 553's. For $120 though they're probably great for a lot of people.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #150 of 625
  Anyone know of a good headphone case that is known to work with the 553's?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00BF6IKL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429578581&sr=8-1&keywords=CASEBUDi+Headphone+Case+-+Extra+Large+-+XL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back