New rapper cans out there, I feel hesitant about these (New SMS audio headphones)
May 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ScumbagBrain123

New Head-Fier
So SMS Audio just released some new "DJ Pro" headphones, and I'm curious to see how they compare to their previous releases. InnerFidelity seemed like he really did not like the sound quality on the older ones, especially the wireless ones. However, and hear me out, sometimes the more popular name headphone brands such as Beats/Monster (yes I know they split a long time ago) and Skullcandy do make fairly good-sounding headphones. See: The Skullcandy Mix Master Mic- I never really saw too many negative reviews over these, mostly good it seemed, bought them myself, actually very good cans. The Beats Pros: Not as good as the Mix Masters but still very decent cans, with nice mids and much more balance than anything else in their line-up (although quite overpriced, mind you). Notice: Both of these celeb cans are DJ headphones, and are pretty much the first somewhat remarkable models in their line-ups. So my logic here is if this is the first Street DJ headphone, (and it does look a good bit different than others in the same line-up), could Street headphones sound good for a change? Anyone ever get their hands on the new DJ Pros? If you have, feel free to leave a mini review in a reply. I am really curious to see what they've got this time around. About $200 USD on Amazon and about $300 USD retail. The design of them seems a good deal less standy-outy than the others from it's brand. Maybe it's a bit more honest. Oh, and they implemented double hinges in it as well (one set for folding and one set for turning the ears to the side to "DJ"). They seem to be getting a better grasp on what people want out of a headphone, so maybe their sound quality has changed as well. Discuss?
Here is a link to their new product, really nice looking
http://smsby50.com/products/street-by-50-dj-wired
Here is a link to a short ('bout 6 minutes) video review, although this channel is new to me and I don't know whethere he's biased or not. Sounds like he likes them a lot. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJg44gj1oz4

So has anyone thought this over or does anyone even care about SMS anymore? If your answer is no, and you skipped my paragraph, go ahead and take a read, it's shorter than it looks I promise. Has anyone tried these new ones out? And I never got to listen to any of the other models in the line-up either, but InnerFidelity said they pretty much stink. Anyone's opinions on that?

Thanks for the read, and please leave a reply with thoughts/comments about this new product from the rapper cans.

May 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Some people will want a product based on the endorsers because they like the association. Given it's PaulyD, even if it sounds good, I wouldn't want to be associated with Jersey Shore other than knowing enough about it to get context-less jokes (ie, anything that isn't The Soup, which shows a video of it and then there's a snide remark about it after). I'd sooner walk around with Beats, given I actually listen to Dre's music sometimes. I won't be spending $300 on either though, the sound on the Beats isn't my cup of tea, but if I get it for free (like a misguided gift), I'd use it instead of selling it.

I do have to give them credits for the design though. If we take endorsers out of the equation, I'd prefer the looks of these way ahead of Beats.

May 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 4
Some people will want a product based on the endorsers because they like the association. Given it's PaulyD, even if it sounds good, I wouldn't want to be associated with Jersey Shore other than knowing enough about it to get context-less jokes (ie, anything that isn't The Soup, which shows a video of it and then there's a snide remark about it after). I'd sooner walk around with Beats, given I actually listen to Dre's music sometimes. I won't be spending $300 on either though, the sound on the Beats isn't my cup of tea, but if I get it for free (like a misguided gift), I'd use it instead of selling it.

I do have to give them credits for the design though. If we take endorsers out of the equation, I'd prefer the looks of these way ahead of Beats.

I completely agree. These are actually associated with Jersey Shore? Or am I being dull and that's just an example? And, I do have the Beats Studios, and they sound nice for things like dubstep, DnB, rap, etc., but compared to the Soul SL150 headphones, they aren't as clear. The souls are another celeb headphone. I actually don't listen to Dr Dre or Ludacris, ironically. I just enjoy the way their headphones look and their sound signature happen to fit the genres of music I listen to nicely.

As for these new SMS headphones, I am not sure I can say they're very good. Innerfidelity did not like any of those cans, and atleast he could say something good about the Beats. Hell, he even praised the Soul Sl150's to some degree.

But yeah, they look nice. :D

I want me some sony xb500s. D:

May 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 4
That's ultimately the thing - even f these were the full-size version of the IE8 with adjustable bass and smooth (if too warm) across the frequency spectrum, the last thing I'd want is for people to think I fist pump, hump, and get into fights too often. Not that there will be enough people to think in this manner to negatively impact their sales anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back