New Questyle CMA400i
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #481 of 1,014
Anything that isn’t Schiit or otherwise made in ‘Merica is looked upon with disdain and distrust at SBAF. Questyle, Audio-GD, you name it - all painted with the same “made in the East so it’s crap” brush.

Similarly the nod of approvals are based predominantly on measurements - not sure how many over there actually listen to music.

It’s at the other end of the spectrum of what you often get here - unsubstantiated hype cycle prior to and just after release of a new product which slowly subsides as rationality returns.

Guess one needs to pick their poison when it comes to headphone fora :)

Exactly this. Couldn't of said it better myself.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #482 of 1,014
Yeah it makes no sense. Over at sbaf and redit they are saying its sounds "bad" or is overly warm. Which is the opposite to what read in review's saying its neutral. Questyle in particular seems to get alot of hate ive noticed.

SBAF is one of the legit worst resources I've ever stumbled across.

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #483 of 1,014
Anything that isn’t Schiit or otherwise made in ‘Merica is looked upon with disdain and distrust at SBAF. Questyle, Audio-GD, you name it - all painted with the same “made in the East so it’s crap” brush.

Similarly the nod of approvals are based predominantly on measurements - not sure how many over there actually listen to music.

It’s at the other end of the spectrum of what you often get here - unsubstantiated hype cycle prior to and just after release of a new product which slowly subsides as rationality returns.

Guess one needs to pick their poison when it comes to headphone fora :)

Agree 100%. They should be called Schitt's Best Audio Friend... and they blame head-fi for being sponsor-whore.

If you look for CMA400i reviews, you will find thins like "cr*p", "horrid", "belongs to the bottom of the ocean", "dull", "boring" etc...

And don't even bother finding reviews of any Audio-GD product on their site. You'll literally find pics of crap.

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #484 of 1,014
Have nothing against Schiit Audio, surely a great company with great products - it seems their Lyr3 is getting very good reviews btw. Some people think diminishing the image of others negatively strengths or attracts attention, it doesn’t, it often reveals ignorance. One can label CMA400i with a lot of adjectives, surely not dull or boring...

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #485 of 1,014
Have nothing against Schiit Audio, surely a great company with great products - it seems their Lyr3 is getting very good reviews btw. Some people think diminishing the image of others negatively strengths or attracts attention, it doesn’t, it often reveals ignorance. One can label CMA400i with a lot of adjectives, surely not dull or boring...

No one's slagging Schiit here. More like how SBAF is comically unreliable and has insanely obvious brand favoritism.

They're also one of those sites where people who have never heard something will say that you're "wrong" for your opinion, even if you have heard them, because they saw a measurement someone posted.

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #487 of 1,014
No one's slagging Schiit here. More like how SBAF is comically unreliable and has insanely obvious brand favoritism.

They're also one of those sites where people who have never heard something will say that you're "wrong" for your opinion, even if you have heard them, because they saw a measurement someone posted.

Knowing it's "wrong" just makes it hotter.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #489 of 1,014
Anyone know what the Questyle manufacturers warranty is?

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #492 of 1,014
Has anyone compared the CMA400i with the Audio-GD R2R-11? If so how would you compare them in regard to sound signature and power delivery?

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #493 of 1,014
Has anyone compared the CMA400i with the Audio-GD R2R-11? If so how would you compare them in regard to sound signature and power delivery?

Interested in this as well. Considering an upgrade from my R2R 11 to the 400i but only if the sonics make it worth while. Other than the balanced connection, wonder how the 400i delivers the goods? I can sure tell you the R2R 11 is one heck of an AIO at a significantly reduced price vs the 400i.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #494 of 1,014
This probably doesn't help much but the closest thing I have seen to that comparison is Zeos's review of the CMA400i and he compares it to the Audio-GD NFB28.38 and not the R2R-11. In a nutshell, he says the CMA400i sounds slightly better but the NFB28 has more power.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #495 of 1,014
This probably doesn't help much but the closest thing I have seen to that comparison is Zeos's review of the CMA400i and he compares it to the Audio-GD NFB28.38 and not the R2R-11. In a nutshell, he says the CMA400i sounds slightly better but the NFB28 has more power.

Actually, this may help...if you put any stock whatsoever in Z-Reviews. I happen to have the NFB-28.38 and have directly compared it to the R2R 11. The 28.38 doesn't seem to suffer from the brightness issues of earlier ESS chips - either that or AGD's implementation of the DAC output stage is really good. The 28.38 is just as smooth as the R2R and I doubt one could tell the difference unless directly A/Bing with matched volume, etc.

To my ears the 28.38's amp not only has more power but it has greater separation and perhaps is a bit 'clearer' than the R2R but within the same sonic character. Again, to my ears, the 28.38's bass is slightly less muddy and overall it is a bit more neutral yet still deep and full. So if you accept the 400i is 'better' than the 28.38 then IMO it must be better than the R2R 11.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back