New Questyle CMA400i
Jul 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #16 of 1,014
I had a 30 to 40 minute audition in balanced with no sign of hiss on my heir 10 u and was so impressed I purchased the cma400i from the London can jam I had a good listen to some daps that cost over £2000 but decieded to keep my calyx for the time being and purchase the 400i

Thanks @Barolo, it's good to hear that the problem lies on my demo setup :)
I am planning to get one as well since i found them to my liking even on SE, but still waiting for my mh334 to come so i can test them once again on both SE and bal 2.5
I think this item is a really good choice for it's price, definitely worth trying for all iems user looking for a desktop dac/amp with 2.5 bal output

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #21 of 1,014
Me too. Particularly interested in hearing how it pairs with something like the HD800. It has enough power in theory (nearly 500mW into 300-ohm), but does it have enough voltage swing to handles the fluctuating impedance?

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #22 of 1,014
Me too. Particularly interested in hearing how it pairs with something like the HD800. It has enough power in theory (nearly 500mW into 300-ohm), but does it have enough voltage swing to handles the fluctuating impedance?
I'm so excited to get this piece in... I am going to be doing a youtube review of multiple IEM's that we sell and I am going to be feeding them through the 400i. I can take requests from anyone that wants to know how a certain headphone handles with it. The Audeze line will be interesting to see how it does.

The HD800 is definitely one I will find out about...

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 1,014
I'm so excited to get this piece in... I am going to be doing a youtube review of multiple IEM's that we sell and I am going to be feeding them through the 400i. I can take requests from anyone that wants to know how a certain headphone handles with it. The Audeze line will be interesting to see how it does.

The HD800 is definitely one I will find out about...
Nice! Looking at your site's inventory, I'd like to hear how the Ether headphones sound out of it.

I have an Aeon and TH900 so if you happen to have either of those on hand, that'd be even better!

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #24 of 1,014
Nice! Looking at your site's inventory, I'd like to hear how the Ether headphones sound out of it.

I have an Aeon and TH900 so if you happen to have either of those on hand, that'd be even better!
Kind of funny I just posted on the Æon thread a little bit ago... we got them in and I inboxed the demo a couple days ago! IMG_7496.JPG
I was listening to them with the "bass inserts" that they came with. Hooked up to big brother Questyle 600i. drove it without a problem. I'll see what's up with the 400i though! Same with Ether Flow C

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #26 of 1,014
I have Ether Flows and was about to pull the trigger on 600i but then saw these 400is coming soon. Pretty interesting! Hope it will have the same SQ of 600i and drive my easy to drive Ether Flow with enough authority. I read in the review here (look for the comments) that these wont have enough power to properly drive HD800s. For 800s its best to stick with 600i.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #27 of 1,014
Read that too. Though that is all speculation - will be good to read some impressions once people get to test this with the HD800's. The current mode amplification may have sufficient juice to control the headphones, but that what may work in theory may not work in reality.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #29 of 1,014
I have Ether Flows and was about to pull the trigger on 600i but then saw these 400is coming soon. Pretty interesting! Hope it will have the same SQ of 600i and drive my easy to drive Ether Flow with enough authority. I read in the review here (look for the comments) that these wont have enough power to properly drive HD800s. For 800s its best to stick with 600i.
I have a friend who own this along with the HD800S.
He is running the 800S balanced and I can safely share to all of you here that the 400i has the power and much more left.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #30 of 1,014
That's good to hear. Is there good synergy? That is, would you say the 400i is more on the lean/neutral side or full/warm?

Interestingly I asked Moon Audio about the pairing and they advised against. Said "At max volume position, you can listen to the HD800 at normal listening levels". They suggested the 600i. Not sure if it was just to direct me to the more expensive product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back