NEW PURCHASE STAX PIC & HELP
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ericpwiseguy

Head-Fier
Hello all Im in the process Of Buying the STAX 404 LE with SRM LIMITED AMP.

I auditioned the entry level setup at a dealer 202 with amp...and liked it so much im going to probably buy the LIMITED setup.

So can any Stax owners post a pic of there rig and tell me what DAC there using...Im going to try to use my source as a macbook... with amp and dac + amarra...

thanks in advance PICS , ADVICE...welcomed.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 26
I don't have LE rig but when it comes to STAX, HeadphoneAddict and other respected members advised me to try Gamma-2. They actually highly recommend it and even go as far as saying it can stack up with some more expensive DAC. They couldn't be more correct about that., I believe. The Gamma-2 is so good. It's my first and only DAC but the improvement makes me wonder if a DAC can do better than that.

The DAC looks beautiful and is small enough. It sits tight on my SRM-252A.

Contact MrX to order one if you are interested in. $380ish shipped + few weeks. Or keep looking around
biggrin.gif
My Gamma-2 deal was a steal (I'm not going to sell it nor making profit on Head-Fi so I don't hesitate to tell that
biggrin.gif
)

Here is another positive which may apply only for me: STAX looks antique, old and simple so *for me only* my STAX system, and my Headphile stand too, doesn't look nice when sitting near a more conventional DAC like DacMagic or DAC1. The Gamma-2 on the other hand, matches nicely with my rig
biggrin.gif

Just my 2 cents

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 26
There will be pictures tonight when I get home
biggrin.gif

Damn! I really want to sit down and make a review for my new rig and take some pics but I'm so busy these days
redface.gif

Update:

4507105828_077fe4c881_b.jpg

4506467687_ae94eecea9_b.jpg

4506468881_3168f2c3e3_b.jpg

4506469887_1351c96247_b.jpg

4507114318_08b896cab8_b.jpg

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 26
My Stax rig.
..one of the ways I can set it up that is, as I have two amplifiers to switch between.

Transport: MacBook Pro
DAC: Red Wine Audio Isabellina

72504505.jpg

25572061.jpg

Seriously think you can not go much wrong with the SR-404LE and SRM-600 Limited combo. Paired with a nice DAC and the MacBook that is.
lambda.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have LE rig but when it comes to STAX, HeadphoneAddict and other respected members advised me to try Gamma-2. They actually highly recommend it and even go as far as saying it can stack up with some more expensive DAC. They couldn't be more correct about that., I believe. The Gamma-2 is so good. It's my first and only DAC but the improvement makes me wonder if a DAC can do better than that.

The DAC looks beautiful and is small enough. It sits tight on my SRM-252A.

Contact MrX to order one if you are interested in. $380ish shipped + few weeks. Or keep looking around
biggrin.gif
My Gamma-2 deal was a steal (I'm not going to sell it nor making profit on Head-Fi so I don't hesitate to tell that
biggrin.gif
)

Here is another positive which may apply only for me: STAX looks antique, old and simple so *for me only* my STAX system, and my Headphile stand too, doesn't look nice when sitting near a more conventional DAC like DacMagic or DAC1. The Gamma-2 on the other hand, matches nicely with my rig
biggrin.gif

Just my 2 cents

That's some valuable 2 cents! I was looking at you closely when you bought the SRS 2050 system haha. So You prefer these to the D7000?
I did audition the 2050 system and loved it. I'll probably pick one up when I go to Japan next month.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's some valuable 2 cents! I was looking at you closely when you bought the SRS 2050 system haha. So You prefer these to the D7000?
I did audition the 2050 system and loved it. I'll probably pick one up when I go to Japan next month.

I much prefer my current rig to Denon. I don't want to compare my Stax with D7K because of the lack of amp but compare to D5K + Woo 6 (which I was totally floored) they still sound noticeably better for me.

Before Stax no headphone makes my home speakers sound ridiculous. While today I listen for my loud speakers for the first time since I got Stax and I couldn't believe that my speakers don't sound like they used to be anymore. My Stax beat my loud speakers hard
eek.gif

Every time music starts playing through my Stax, I smile. I could not take them off and always end up go to bed as late as 5 a.m after 3-5 hours listening. That has been happening for a week
biggrin.gif

And thank for the Seyo-shop link HoneyBoy
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 26
I use an Audio-gd Reference 1. It, or similar seriously high-end DACs are great for getting the most out of a Stax rig IMO.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 26
pictures of the awesome sounding stax setup on a crappy bedside table:
kan_01_groot.jpg

It's powered by the SRM-T1W, the SRM-600 should be a bit better because of different kind of tubes but I've not seen that one in real life.
I'm using the CI Audio VDA2 with VAC1 as a source, I like it better in this combination than the NorthStar M192: clearer, more detailed and a better soundstage. The 404LE itself is on the warmer side (at least compared to the 4070/HE60) so it pairs well with the VDA2.

The 404LE is a great headphone, I'm sure you'll like it.

--
at the price of the SRM600 I'd also seriously consider the Woo GES or maybe even save some more for the Headamp KGSS.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 26
You guys are killing me in a good way.thanks for the pics I'll have plenty when they arrive. FYI I got them from Sam at elusive disc...he has been great to deal with. Mods if it's a no no where to post I bought them from let me know . Thanks the pics are awesome honey where can I purchase the dac....anymore dac recommendations.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 26
Paaj regarding the amps I have young children and did not want a open tube case....been there done that with my Cary 805 iused to own..I figure there matched it's a cleanblook i can always add later. On a side note my patner owns the kharma craned ceramique speakers manufactured in your country. They rock...

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 26
That makes good sense, the tubes do get hot. even in my Stax amp with case it feels quite warm.

the Kharma speakers are quite something yes
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back