New Product: CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB Headphone Amp
May 11, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #91 of 126
So you are saying HDP is a better source?
How about DAC+amp?
Which one do you like better by itself?

Quote:
My friend compared DACport to HDP, both were feeding SOHA II > ATH-W5000. He preferred HDP at the end of a day. 

May 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #92 of 126
My friend is saying this, while I did not compared them directly. From my "audio memory" (which is not good), HDP sounds a bit better driving HD650. But it is not better enough for me to choose HDP over DACport. I appreciate portability, so I would prefer DACport over HDP.

I compared HM-602 with DACport. Both are $400 and play from USB. And I like HM-602 more due to analog-like sound. So I sold DACport. If I were into electronic music (trance, etc.), I might probably choose DACport.

Quote:
So you are saying HDP is a better source?
How about DAC+amp?
Which one do you like better by itself?

May 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #93 of 126
So I got to hear an Audio GD product w/ the SabreDAC.  I was rather struck how similar it sounded to my DACPort.  Anyone that's heard both care to comment?

May 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #94 of 126
I finally took some time to perform this test:
- Foobar (KS) -> STX        -> M3 -> AD2000
- Foobar (KS) -> DACPort -> M3 -> AD2000

Listening was done on a ATH-AD2000, FLAC files, played over Foobar2000 via kernel streaming on both interfaces. No resampling, no filtering, STX driver set in Hifi mode at max volume.

Comparing both, the transparency is clearly nicer. Mids are more emphasized, sharp, full, creating a more involving listening experience. PRaT is also nicer on the DACPort.
STX sounds a bit laid back in comparison, not too much though, just a bit vs the DACPort.
One aspect is, the bass extention and impact is clearly better on the STX. The low bass is fuller, with more energy, more kick. Note the difference is thinner than on the previous listening where I was using - Foobar (KS) -> DACPort -> AD2000.
Interestingly as well, despite a better spatial positioning and instrument separation on the DACPort, I perceive a wider soundstage with the STX, the sound is simply "wider". DACPort is more "in your face".

Edit: I like the bass guitar on the STX better. More realistic.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #97 of 126
One of the biggest benefit of DACport is small size + bus powered. Not only I can move my MBP everywhere, but I can also load up FLAC/foobar on a flash drive and have the same quality at work. These days I am not even motivated to turn on the MPX3. The convenience factor greatly trumps SQ. Plus DACport actually sounds pretty good.

To fix the bass deficiency, I've been trying out headphones with big bass. Pro 900 was a good candidate, but the mids are not forward enough (V-shape). Now I am on ED9. Haven't spend enough time with it to form opinion. Initial impression is the mids are crystal and forward. Though bass extends deep and is well articulated but I miss the body shaking bass of Pro 900. Currently DX1000 is probably still my favorite with DACport and is versatile with most music unlike Pro 900. Fx700 gets most ear time because it's so easy to put on and very enjoyable at low volume.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #98 of 126
No one mentioned BLADELIUS-USB DAC? Thats the best usb dac I've ever heard so far. To me it sounds better than my hm-801 as a dac and headroom micro dac. It at least performs equally well to my rwa dac whic is much more expensive.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #99 of 126
DACport has a class A headphone amp inside. Bladelius is pure DAC. So maybe the DACport LX is a more adequate comparison.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #100 of 126

Quote:
One of the biggest benefit of DACport is small size + bus powered. Not only I can move my MBP everywhere, but I can also load up FLAC/foobar on a flash drive and have the same quality at work. These days I am not even motivated to turn on the MPX3. The convenience factor greatly trumps SQ. Plus DACport actually sounds pretty good.

To fix the bass deficiency, I've been trying out headphones with big bass. Pro 900 was a good candidate, but the mids are not forward enough (V-shape). Now I am on ED9. Haven't spend enough time with it to form opinion. Initial impression is the mids are crystal and forward. Though bass extends deep and is well articulated but I miss the body shaking bass of Pro 900. Currently DX1000 is probably still my favorite with DACport and is versatile with most music unlike Pro 900. Fx700 gets most ear time because it's so easy to put on and very enjoyable at low volume.

I ended up on the same conclusions. I'm not as rich as you
atsmile.gif
are so I only use a Pro750 (where unfortunately mids are a bit laid back) but I have then no problem on the bass response. Portability is clearly a key here as well.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #101 of 126
Any reviews/impression of DACport LX?  I'm getting close to getting one myself, and I'd like to get as much research done on this.  Is this good as a portable solution or good enough to be compared to desktop solutions like vDac or DACMagic?

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #102 of 126

Quote:
Any reviews/impression of DACport LX?  I'm getting close to getting one myself, and I'd like to get as much research done on this.  Is this good as a portable solution or good enough to be compared to desktop solutions like vDac or DACMagic?

Anaxilus bought one and thought it was superior as a DAC to feed an amp than the DACport.  The differences he describes are similar to what I hear when I use the DACmini or HDP with S11 PSU as a DAC only to feed another amp. i.e. more micro-detail and air.

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #103 of 126

Quote:
Anaxilus bought one and thought it was superior as a DAC to feed an amp than the DACport.  The differences he describes are similar to what I hear when I use the DACmini or HDP with S11 PSU as a DAC only to feed another amp. i.e. more micro-detail and air.

Yup.  Just cleaner overall.  If you don't need the amp get the LX.

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #105 of 126

Quote:
How's frequency response? I want flat with all high, mid bass well represented as my Burson and d7000 combo will bring some beats to it
smily_headphones1.gif

According to CEntrance their stuff measures flat.  I'm sure Stereophile has some graphs of the regular DACPort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back