*NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT* Jerry Harvey Audio Lola™ Hybrid CIEM and Universal
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #61 of 69

You are correct, in fact the important numeric value isn't even area but conical volume which is even more reduced from 9.8mm  I see what they were trying to say though, but you're right, the cubic volume of air movement by dual 4.9mm drivers is far far less than that of a single 9.8mm driver.

And without needing to handle bass, it doesn't have to. This sort of loading really controls the drivers and the bandpass is awesome for this as he can get a steep slope without phase shift. IEMs play by the rules of physics but have a different set of parameters than speakers as you're dealing with pressure waves instead of soundwaves. Though technically possible, this design would be extremely difficult to get a good result from a loudspeaker but is great for this use. I suppose you could actually do something like this for IEM bass as well but it gets large. They'd need strong motors, heavy diaphragms and a much larger tube. The passive EQ you'd need to sound linear in the low bass would be tough as well. When Jerry was saying that dynamics are sloppy, I think he meant it in a relative way. It's difficult to get both extension, perceived linearity and the sort of delineation at the same time compared to how he can control the character and response of his BA designs. He also requires great isolation so venting outside the shell is not in the mix. That would mean a small diaphragm dynamic with long excursion to achieve a low enough fundamental resonance point which will generally show less efficiency, control and more distortion. The limited shell volume (sans vent) also prevents using multiples as it's effectively the same as using one larger one. Smaller diaphragm that goes low is exactly what you want for this purpose (BA). The limit would be amplitude but he's crossed that bridge by tailoring multiple drivers a long time ago.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #62 of 69
I'm not actively on the market for a new IEM persay.  But, it sounds too interesting to me not to give it a  listen, at least.  I have an Angie, and would like to compare.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #65 of 69
  Looking for a review!

I've been told review units won't be available until the end of next month.  We'll have to be patient...

May 9, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #66 of 69
What is this mysterious thing you call "patience"????

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #67 of 69
I've had these beautiful fun cans for a couple weeks. Have over 250+ hours on them. they did change slightly, for the better. I spoke to Angie at JHA and she believed that they required about 250 of burn in. Bass is tight, impactful. The mid's are buttery smooth. I used them with the QP1r and then switched to the A&K Kann. Big difference. Moved the base from 2 o'clock to 12 noon. Wonderful. Great soundstage. I also have the JH 16v2 and have to say that these are better. They both have the same sound signature, but these just are more fun by a hair, The Kann gives them a bigger soundstage, and a melodic impact that the QP1r just doesn't do justice to. Get this combo guys, you won't regret it if you like toe tapping fun :O

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #68 of 69
I've had these beautiful fun cans for a couple weeks. Have over 250+ hours on them. they did change slightly, for the better. I spoke to Angie at JHA and she believed that they required about 250 of burn in. Bass is tight, impactful. The mid's are buttery smooth. I used them with the QP1r and then switched to the A&K Kann. Big difference. Moved the base from 2 o'clock to 12 noon. Wonderful. Great soundstage. I also have the JH 16v2 and have to say that these are better. They both have the same sound signature, but these just are more fun by a hair, The Kann gives them a bigger soundstage, and a melodic impact that the QP1r just doesn't do justice to. Get this combo guys, you won't regret it if you like toe tapping fun :O

Coincidentally I just got my custom JH16V2's today after about 8 years with Version 1 and I am thrilled right out of the box. Love the control over the bass and having 2 more tweeters just makes the highs bloom that much more. I must say the profusion of Jerry Harvey models over the last couple of years has confounded me a bit and I'm glad I waited through the release of all the "sisters" and went with the improvement of what I already loved.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #69 of 69
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to high end audio, just got a HiBy R6 Pro a few months ago that I've been listening to with my Audeze LCD-2's. A guy named MaxwellDot speaks highly of the Lola's, so I'm going to get them today:

Regarding sound, based on your musical genre preferences, I would say the Lola will likely work very well for you: it emphasize natural vocals and natural instruments (ie the midrange) far better than most IEMs out there, including the Roxanne (Lola's were specifically designed to recreate the organic natural timber and sound of guitars, piano, vocals etc, and are the only IEMs am aware off that use dynamic drivers for the mid range, for that very reason). The Lola work really well with the R6 Pro , well driven by it, and I have had no interference issues. The Roxanne's, also work well with the R6 Pro, with no interference issues, and amazing as they are, have a heavier bass slant, and their sound is probably well suited to electronic music​

Super pumped... Listening to music on my Jabra Active Elite earbuds is just brutal compared to the LCD-2's. Looking forward to some great listening when i'm out and about.

Wish I could find a coupon code or a deal. I emailed JH on the off chance they'd share one with me but $1,599 seems decent for a premium product

Interestingly, he was also saying he uses this system for listening to Tidal with iPhone:

What I will say is that I do also listen to Tidal on the iPhone (especially downloaded offline tracks), and for that I use a nifty little device called ES100 (https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-24bit-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Unbalanced/dp/B078H4YD2L), which is connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone, and the Lola's are hooked to the device.
I'll probably try out my DragonFly Red too

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back