*NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT* Jerry Harvey Audio Lola™ Hybrid CIEM and Universal
Apr 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #47 of 69
I left jh audio ship after Layla, great build quality but sound wasn't on par with current totl like Vega, Oriolus etc imo.
This, however looks interesting,i think he might win a few of us back with this one

I owned both Vega and Layla , I didnt find the Vega is better than layla. I auditioned Oriolus mkIi almosts 2 hours, though sounded good, there are a kot of iems that sound better.
If you like relatively bright iens that much thats fine , but to state that those iems are better than the Layla it is not true

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #48 of 69
  he is talking about hybrids with dynamic drivers for bass, in the presentation of Lola he said that dynamic drivers in hybrids are used for bass, but they can not keep up with balanced armature drivers speed, that was the reason to try them for mids in acoustic chamber

I'd be VERY curious to get a scientific explanation as to why dynamic drivers would be too slow at the lowest (=slowest) frequency in the spectrum compared to BA.
If that was actually the case, this would be even worse for mids...

Obviously this is not adressed in the video, although his design explanation for the crossover is quite clear, and he doesn't forget to quote Slash when comparing these IEMs with a stack of Marshall speakers that is being used by our friend guitarist.

Nevermind the science, I'm sure these will sound great, but people should stop trying to oversell R&D when they don't have data to back it up.
I have never been overly convinced by BA for yielding great bass, but we shall see.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #50 of 69
I just pre-ordered the universals from Moon Audio. If I remember, I'll make a post about my first impressions when they come in.
Afterthought: I wish I hadn't just shipped out my Andromedas yesterday so I could do a side-by-side comparison when these come in.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #51 of 69
I know it is difficult to spend a lot of money on something and not praise it, but anyone with experience compare Layla 2 with some of the less expensive JH line?   I am wondering, basically and subjectively, if Layla 2 is worth double the cost of some of the others.   They all appear well made and loved. I am just trying to understand the pricing.  Its a major purchase for a retired guy and Lola looks quite interesting.  Thanks.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #52 of 69
Is it logical to say 2 pcs 4.9 mm drivers make a 9.8 mm driver? The area of 2 pcs 4.9mm drivers is not equal to a single 9.8 mm driver's area. Or the important value is not the area but the circumference?

You are correct, in fact the important numeric value isn't even area but conical volume which is even more reduced from 9.8mm  I see what they were trying to say though, but you're right, the cubic volume of air movement by dual 4.9mm drivers is far far less than that of a single 9.8mm driver.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #53 of 69
Now these look like a nice innovative product. Very curious about the sound, looking forward to reviews. I probably should ignore any review posted within 1 month of the release date, as those reviews typically are by people overcome by new toy syndrome....save the wallet!

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #54 of 69
Yup last year they did a BF sales. Somewhere around 10% for universals and 15% for customs (correct me if I'm wrong). JH has a loyalty program too which gives your next CIEM purchase 20% off.

Oh thanks for telling me about that loyalty program! i probably won't have to wait until BF!. 20% off means... roughly 2k for the copper CF shell option huh.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #55 of 69
Listened to the Lola at CanJam SoCal 2017 - it was my number one IEM (and product) that I wanted to listen to at the event, especially since I've listened to the HE-1, MSB Technology, and experienced the Realiser A16 already at CanJam London 2016.  The Lola is simply exceptional (visually as well as sound signatures), and was quite the interesting comparison back to back with my Layla.

Hopefully I will be able to discuss the Lola in much more detail in the near future! 

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #56 of 69
  Listened to the Lola at CanJam SoCal 2017 - it was my number one IEM (and product) that I wanted to listen to at the event, especially since I've listened to the HE-1, MSB Technology, and experienced the Realiser A16 already at CanJam London 2016.  The Lola is simply exceptional (visually as well as sound signatures), and was quite the interesting comparison back to back with my Layla.

Hopefully I will be able to discuss the Lola in much more detail in the near future! 

Thanks! Could you please tell more about Lola vs Layla? (resolution, tonality & timbre, spacing, etc..)

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #57 of 69

Thanks! Could you please tell more about Lola vs Layla? (resolution, tonality & timbre, spacing, etc..)

Hopefully in the future, yes. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #58 of 69
I am also a new one to IEM. I was so happy that I went CAN JAM, and had a great time there.  

I tried this one at CAN JAM. First, I like its designs, looks cool, match some people's needs. Second, surprised by the dual low BA driver, the low bass is powerful and clear. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #59 of 69
Now these look like a nice innovative product. Very curious about the sound, looking forward to reviews. I probably should ignore any review posted within 1 month of the release date, as those reviews typically are by people overcome by new toy syndrome....save the wallet!

Not me, I say what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back