[NEW PRODUCT] ADL Furutech X1 - The iDevice DACs Coming Thick and Fast
Apr 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #76 of 89
Some of the comments here just don't line up with my own experience - not sure if there were quality control issues with the first models off the production line or what, but I'm thrilled with the X1. Perhaps I'm simply a contrarian as I'm one of the few who admits to owning the Chord Hugo while the rest of the internet seems intent on dumping on it without hearing a single note from the headphone out ....

Absolutely zero hiss with any of the following:

- HD800
- LCD2R2
- Fidelio X1
- Yamaha EPH-100

As always, its horses for courses, but this gadget floats my boat in a big way from my iTouch - having a couple of issues installing the USB driver for my PC but I'm confident that I'll get there.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #77 of 89
The X1 is meant firstly for iDevices (Android too I think) and secondly for PCs. I find it puzzling when people compare it to non-comparable products which for example don't have MFI certification, nor even has a DAC. At its price range as a DAC Amp, there is the AK10/A200p for instance. M8, HP-P1, Theorem, etc are in a different and higher price range.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #78 of 89
The PHA-1 is comparable now that the PHA-2 has been launched. Other than that and the AK10/A200p, I can't think of any similar product in the same price range.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #79 of 89
The PHA-1 is comparable now that the PHA-2 has been launched. Other than that and the AK10/A200p, I can't think of any similar product in the same price range.

My dealer had the PHA-1 - and the Fostex HP-P1 - and claimed to prefer the sound sig of the X1 over both. Sadly, he doesn't carry the HIFI-M8 - gotta love the incredible range of connection possibilities from that single box.

May 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #80 of 89
  Some of the comments here just don't line up with my own experience - not sure if there were quality control issues with the first models off the production line or what, but I'm thrilled with the X1. Perhaps I'm simply a contrarian as I'm one of the few who admits to owning the Chord Hugo while the rest of the internet seems intent on dumping on it without hearing a single note from the headphone out ....

- HD800
- LCD2R2
- Fidelio X1
- Yamaha EPH-100

As always, its horses for courses, but this gadget floats my boat in a big way from my iTouch - having a couple of issues installing the USB driver for my PC but I'm confident that I'll get there.

Well I'd hope there was no hiss from an HD800 lmao. If there was any audible hiss at that point, then it means there'd be a ~80db hiss from IEMs?

Anyway, putting my eye on this product, looking for both an iDevice & PC compatible dac. The price range, unfortunately at this point is far more than I've ever spent.

This one looks like it sells for $425 now, which is if anything, slightly better than ridiculous. Still looking for cheaper options though.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #81 of 89

- HD800
- LCD2R2
- Fidelio X1
- Yamaha EPH-100

I tried the ADL X1 with Win7 PC and Hifiman HE500 cans. Zero problems and , surprising if you take into account several comments in this thread, sounds very close to the much more expensive desktop gear (Audio gd SA-1 + Violectric V200) I use. The desktop combo seemed to me just a shade more "analogue", getting clearly ahead only when hearing very loud to some classical music recordings with large dynamic range.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #82 of 89
What sort of standby time and play time are owners getting with this product after it's been fully charged?

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #83 of 89
  I tried the ADL X1 with Win7 PC and Hifiman HE500 cans. Zero problems and , surprising if you take into account several comments in this thread, sounds very close to the much more expensive desktop gear (Audio gd SA-1 + Violectric V200) I use. The desktop combo seemed to me just a shade more "analogue", getting clearly ahead only when hearing very loud to some classical music recordings with large dynamic range.

Agreed. We're now sliding into late-July so I've had the X1 for a couple of months - admittedly I spend most of my time with more expensive desktop gear (for me, the Hugo is transportable at best) but every time I come back to the X1 with a pair of cans like the Fidelio X1 I am blown away by the --fun-- equation for the dollars spent. Where something like the Hugo+Taurus combination kicks in is when I want to listen to more complex music with the HD800s, but for those who just want great VFM in a portable package, I think the X1 is an excellent choice. I would add that I prefer using it as a USB DAC from my laptop than as a DAC/amp for iDevices, but I was able to shell out for a Furutech USB cable for the former and I'm limited in my options for the latter - whether you feel aftermarket cables make a difference or not is up to you but I'm happy with the end result. 

As with anything in audio, you just aren't going to please all of the people all of the time but the magazine and online reviews I've seen on this gadget since I bought it have all been positive - I don't use that as justification for my purchase, simply as a counterpoint to some of the comments above. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #85 of 89
Ok, just received the ADL-X1 , sounds superb with the Dunu DN-1000 !

Bass is really prodigious as expected...
basshead.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #88 of 89
Hey guys.
Can anyone give an indication of just the DAC performance of the X1?
Comparable/better than a CLAS or hpp1?
Cheers

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #89 of 89
Hoping one of you owners could answer a question for me...

Recently took a new job and I'm using a softphone with USB headset to make and take calls.

I'm using a FiiO E10K to power my ATH-M50x cans for music. I have an aftermarket cable set with inline remote and mic.

I'd like to consolidate headsets, so my questions are:

When being used as a USB DAC, Can I use the headphone mic through the X1 on the PC? Do the inline remote functions work?

TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back