New pricing on Penguin The "Caffeine" Amp
Aug 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaotic_angel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh boy, can't believe it? so every body says Caffein is better than Royal one? can please be detail in which aspect regardless cheaper price?

TK

I also picked the Caffeine over the Royal for it's improved bass and features. I gave the Royal to my brother-in-law, and gave on of my Lyrix to a friend. After about a year when I had over 10 portable amps wasting space here I finally let the Caffeine Pro and remaining Lyrix go to people who would use them more than me.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-lyrix-262751/

I think they are very good amps for the price, and the Caffeine Pro/Ultra gives more bang for the buck. The ultra uses an LM6172 like the Lyrix in the ground channel instead of a TI rail-splitter, for more current delivery. It performs on about the level of a Meier Headsix or RSA Tomahawk and it sounds a little better than the iBasso D2 Boa (but maybe on the level of the D3).

I would not hesitate to recommend a B-stock for $49 as you would have to spend 3-4x that much to match or beat the performance.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #33 of 66
Thanks for Nickyboyo and Headphoneaddict,

Hi guys I just wondering I have Ultrasone HFi680 under burning mode for 120 hrs now, will this Caffeine add more improvement? as we all now HFi's are Bass cans already. I'm still confused between taking Royal or Caffeine.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghigguls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i just got my amp today after a month and a half of waiting and its pretty cool

Well, congratulations! awaiting for your impressions
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaotic_angel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for Nickyboyo and Headphoneaddict,

Hi guys I just wondering I have Ultrasone HFi680 under burning mode for 120 hrs now, will this Caffeine add more improvement? as we all now HFi's are Bass cans already. I'm still confused between taking Royal or Caffeine.

You don't need to use the bass boost switch, and the Caffeine will usually give the Ultrasone headphones a tighter better controlled bass. The Royal is a good amp, it's just the Caffeine Ultra adds extra features with a similar sound for less money.

As for the HFI-680, I have not heard them but I did have several HFI-780 which needed an upgraded cable to sound their best (sibilant with looser bass with the stock cable).

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #40 of 66
even though it takes a long time to actually receive the amp, i would definitely recommend the caffeine amp. i already am liking the sound better than when i was using my t4.

plus, robert is very prompt in returning emails and very good at communicating with you through the whole process and even afterwards.

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #41 of 66
Yea? Well I once got free gummi bears that my friends gave me whom the driver had given them - they had melted and were deformed and therefore unsellable!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got a penguin delux royal for 30 bucks on craigslist
smily_headphones1.gif
its the 130$ version from 1-2 years ago, it's epic win.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by aBc.CaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea? Well I once got free gummi bears that my friends gave me whom the driver had given them - they had melted and were deformed and therefore unsellable!
tongue.gif

haha swbf is now selling it. no wonder it was just $30

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #43 of 66
hahaha... lol...

free gummi bears reign supreme!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha swbf is now selling it. no wonder it was just $30

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: If you own a Caffeine or are currently considering buying one, the battery will be your next consideration. The Caffeine uses a 9 volt battery. Good luck finding a decent rechargeable 9 volt online. (That actually puts out a true 9 volts.) Well...I had to get my car washed today and what do you know: there's a Batteries Plus next to the Carwash. I told my daughter, "MUST STOP THERE!" I went in and lo and behold, they have a 9 volt that is advertised on the package as being a TRUE 9.6 volts (every other one I saw online was 8.4 and into the 7 volts range) This is a 230 mah NiMh battery for $15 (YIKES!) but Duracell's at Walmart are $2.50/ea. I think I'll be "in the money" in a few months at the rate I listen to this thing.

do the 8.4V NiMH batteries enough to power the caffeine? when I asked Robert, he actually suggested to me that i should use the 8.4 v ones instead of the 9.6V due to higher capacity (300 mAh vs 230). I just finished burning in the caffeine using an alkaline 9V and i replaced it today with my 8.4V NiMH, but after playing for a few minutes, the sound just cuts out. I don't know what's going on with my amp. Anyone else have any similar problems? I was thinking that maybe it was the battery.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the 8.4V NiMH batteries enough to power the caffeine? when I asked Robert, he actually suggested to me that i should use the 8.4 v ones instead of the 9.6V due to higher capacity (300 mAh vs 230). I just finished burning in the caffeine using an alkaline 9V and i replaced it today with my 8.4V NiMH, but after playing for a few minutes, the sound just cuts out. I don't know what's going on with my amp. Anyone else have any similar problems? I was thinking that maybe it was the battery.

8.4v NiMH should be plenty of power, maybe yours drained some over time with not using. The amp will probably function until the NiMH drains down to about 6v or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back