New pricing on Penguin The "Caffeine" Amp
Aug 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by aBc.CaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link Antony L, that was the main post, there's not many out there, that convinced me that a cheap amp should be worth it.

Ha, your pic is so small I intially thought your headphone was an aluminium can!

no worrys , cant get the hang of the picture thing ,its either massive or miniscule
smile.gif

dont forget the burn in ,it gets better all the time ,the bass is mindblowing with lotr soundtrack and the soundstage has opened up even more and thats double amping on my d2.
trouble is now im thinking this sounds so good what would a ray samuals or a d10 sound like...... this forum really is bad for the wallet

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 66
Ive owned both amps. Caffeine sound better than the royal which is more expensive. Don't know why. It has 2 big caps which supposedly enhance a clearer sound. Anyway, both of them are great amps and I like like them better than my RSA Hornet.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #19 of 66
I've been alternating between a Rockboxed Ipod Video and Sansa Clip both running Flac files through my Caffeine Pro (purchased 1 month ago). I'm running the Caffeine into Grado RS-2's and I can confirm the sound is exquisite.

Controlled punchy bass, NICE highs. I have the Gain set at low and the Bass boost set to On. I have listened to everything from Blue October, Dead Weather, and Metallica (rockin them out as I type this) to Bjork and Adele (I have a crush on that chick's vocals). The Caffeine is VERY versatile.

I was just discussing with my 17 year old today on the way to look at Vinyl at the Exclusive Company about how I really like the ability to move around with portable amps vs. stationary headphone amps.

Another plus to portable amps is you don't have to worry about AC voltage issues (hum, static, ticking). The Caffeine is dark when it's supposed to be (ala Adele's acoustic guitar work). I REALLY like this amp! For $49, it's a STEAL!

EDIT: If you own a Caffeine or are currently considering buying one, the battery will be your next consideration. The Caffeine uses a 9 volt battery. Good luck finding a decent rechargeable 9 volt online. (That actually puts out a true 9 volts.) Well...I had to get my car washed today and what do you know: there's a Batteries Plus next to the Carwash. I told my daughter, "MUST STOP THERE!" I went in and lo and behold, they have a 9 volt that is advertised on the package as being a TRUE 9.6 volts (every other one I saw online was 8.4 and into the 7 volts range) This is a 230 mah NiMh battery for $15 (YIKES!) but Duracell's at Walmart are $2.50/ea. I think I'll be "in the money" in a few months at the rate I listen to this thing.

Burn in? I'm burning the Caffeine into my ears!

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been alternating between a Rockboxed Ipod Video and Sansa Clip both running Flac files through my Caffeine Pro (purchased 1 month ago). I'm running the Caffeine into Grado RS-2's and I can confirm the sound is exquisite.

Controlled punchy bass, NICE highs. I have the Gain set at low and the Bass boost set to On. I have listened to everything from Blue October, Dead Weather, and Metallica (rockin them out as I type this) to Bjork and Adele (I have a crush on that chick's vocals). The Caffeine is VERY versatile.

I was just discussing with my 17 year old today on the way to look at Vinyl at the Exclusive Company about how I really like the ability to move around with portable amps vs. stationary headphone amps.

Another plus to portable amps is you don't have to worry about AC voltage issues (hum, static, ticking). The Caffeine is dark when it's supposed to be (ala Adele's acoustic guitar work). I REALLY like this amp! For $49, it's a STEAL!

EDIT: If you own a Caffeine or are currently considering buying one, the battery will be your next consideration. The Caffeine uses a 9 volt battery. Good luck finding a decent rechargeable 9 volt online. (That actually puts out a true 9 volts.) Well...I had to get my car washed today and what do you know: there's a Batteries Plus next to the Carwash. I told my daughter, "MUST STOP THERE!" I went in and lo and behold, they have a 9 volt that is advertised on the package as being a TRUE 9.6 volts (every other one I saw online was 8.4 and into the 7 volts range) This is a 230 mah NiMh battery for $15 (YIKES!) but Duracell's at Walmart are $2.50/ea. I think I'll be "in the money" in a few months at the rate I listen to this thing.

Burn in? I'm burning the Caffeine into my ears!

Never thought to look at the battery when i bought mine but it was an el cheapo from ebay seems the same as running through the power block though
yes i listen to all my stuff during burn in as well (even though as a forty something im only 2yrs into this obsession) its like being down on the beach on a misty day as it gradualy burns off revealing more detail bit by bit.
btw low gain just dosnt do it for my ultrasones tbh i was expecting it to, maybe they are more power hungry than i thought

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 66
I have hoped this would be my first and last amp for a while. There was a bit of a wait, but it is very nice. I painted the lid to mine black to give it less of a mint tin look.
smily_headphones1.gif
The burn really helped mine out a lot. I had buyers remorse when I first gave it a listen because it sounded a little harsh so I tried burning it in and that helped a lot! This price drop is nice because mine is pretty dented up and I still love it. I just need to find another belt clip to velcro onto the thing so I wont be stuck using my Fiio e5 at work anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by aBc.CaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at PenguinAmp.com recently and noticed that there is a new pricing scheme for two models of The "Caffeine Amp".

Do I understand there is a US$20 price difference based ONLY on the condition of the tin case?!
eek.gif

Penguin "Caffeine Ultra" (A-Quality)
[size=xx-small]Best quality possible! I recommend to order this amp if you need it as a gift or as a collector amp. Limited quantity only![/size]
US $ 69.00 shipping $7.50 worldwide flat rate

Penguin "Caffeine Ultra" (B-Quality)
[size=xx-small]Same amp as above but the tin is not polished and may have small scratches. The tin is factory-new and has never been filled up with mints but it wore slightly while transportation. It's cosmetic flaws only! The circuit board is absolutely new with new parts![/size]
US $ 49.00 shipping $7.50 worldwide flat rate

How long will it be to ship to New York?

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #23 of 66
it can take some time. i ordered mine on 7/31 and it shipped out on 8/7 and i still haven't received it. if you check out some other threads about the caffeine amp, you'll find out that it can take quite some time to get the amp.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 66
I have just taken delivery of my caffeine from EFN (cheers bud
wink.gif
), and having owned the royal before as well, i agree that the caffeine sounds better than the royal- i wish i still had the royal for a more detailed comparison test. The caffeine is A1, great sounding amp with plenty of oomph. Robert has come up with the goods with this amp for sure. After having owned and listened to a fairly wide range of amps i can honestly hand on heart recommend this little beauty to anyone looking for a a portable amp- for it's price it is incredible. My amp journey is at it's end and i have ended up near enough at the point i started at. Great amp and well worth the wait for you folks who have recently ordered one
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just taken delivery of my caffeine from EFN (cheers bud
wink.gif
), and having owned the royal before as well, i agree that the caffeine sounds better than the royal- i wish i still had the royal for a more detailed comparison test. The caffeine is A1, great sounding amp with plenty of oomph. Robert has come up with the goods with this amp for sure. After having owned and listened to a fairly wide range of amps i can honestly hand on heart recommend this little beauty to anyone looking for a a portable amp- for it's price it is incredible. My amp journey is at it's end and i have ended up near enough at the point i started at. Great amp and well worth the wait for you folks who have recently ordered one
beerchug.gif

oh boy, can't believe it? so every body says Caffein is better than Royal one? can please be detail in which aspect regardless cheaper price?

TK

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #29 of 66
ny- i was lucky enough to snatch up the caffeine EFN had for sale in the amps for sale forum, i had to wait just over a week for auspost to get their act together and deliver the thing to me.
chaotic- i have always liked amps with plenty of drive, so i when i have had the option of gain settings i have usually used the high gain settings- this is definitely not the case with the caff. With gain on low and bass on the amp powers my ety 4's very nicely with the volume not needing to be pushed past 12 o'clock as yet- i will try the amp out with harder to drive iems and 'phones later. Deep controlled bass, precise mids and great extension and crispness to the highs- very similar to the royal as i recall, just that touch more controlled - the main improvement is the tweakability with the gain and bass selections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back