New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Apr 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #331 of 557
Yep, I know what you mean.  I had the Mustang for over two years also and hate to let it go.  I was going to keep it but just having to many amps around.  Predator, SR71a, Mustang, Protector, all gone now in the last few months but they are all great amps and worth keeping.  Thanks again, HK_Received :wink:

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #333 of 557
Just order a XM6 last night.
Today morning it's shipped already.
James replied email pretty quickly! good service
bigsmile_face.gif

can't wait to get it!

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #334 of 557
I just got mine today. I've been listening to it for a few hours so far and I'm really liking it.

The crossfeed is great. Its stronger than on my Total Bithead. The XM6 moves the soundstage more forward while the Bithead's is almost unnoticeable on a lot of modern rock/pop without much too far out to the sides. Either is enough to keep me from getting a headache over long listening sessions, which is what I really need it for, though I prefer what the XM6s does for the imaging and placement. Its still a lot more subtle than a full blown HRTF algorithm, but I like it a lot so far. I haven't played with the bass/treble boosts much except to verify that they work.

It does have too much gain to use my SE530s (119dB/mW) from the DAC input without using digital volume control on the computer but I expected that from the specs. The background hiss with the SE530s is pretty quiet and its dead silent if with the 75 ohm button engaged. It doesn't seem to screw with the crossover or anything but I'll have to check it out with some pink noise and my SPL meter to be sure.

The other pair of 'phones I've tried it with so far are my modded T50RPs and they sound great as well. I'm not sure I want to start making grand sweeping statements about SQ, but so far it seems exceptionally clear and well extended. I'll have to do some level matched A/B tests before making any more pronouncements.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #335 of 557
Also the adjustable crossfeed is great when I'm listening crapilly recorded lectures on youtube. A disturbing number only have sound on one channel but with the XM6 I can mix it mono. Problem solved!

May 11, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #336 of 557
Ordered mine over the weekend. Got the shipping email on Monday morning. I'm assuming it'll take a few weeks to get here?

Anyway, moving up from a HeadRoom Total Bithead. Very much looking forward to it.

May 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #338 of 557
Got mine a month or so ago. Same Monday ship email..I'm in Michigan U.S....had it by Friday or Saturday same week. Hopefully you will have the same luck. Liking mine a whole lot..not using the dac at all yet just with my ipod touch..lovin the combo with my w4. Good luck.

Quote:
Ordered mine over the weekend. Got the shipping email on Monday morning. I'm assuming it'll take a few weeks to get here?

Anyway, moving up from a HeadRoom Total Bithead. Very much looking forward to it.

May 12, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #339 of 557

Quote:
The only real difference in the sounds of an equally configured XM5 and XM6 are on the DAC end.

All IMHO and YMMV!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hmm - my mileage had better NOT vary, or I will be throwing money away on the XM5 :)

Seriously, I have no immediate need for a USB DAC beyond my MSII - the XM5 makes a lot of sense. I am normally wary of 'Bass Boost' on an amp, but from all reports it has been very well implemented on the XM5/XM6.

May 12, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #340 of 557
     Quote:
Hmm - my mileage had better NOT vary, or I will be throwing money away on the XM5 :)

Seriously, I have no immediate need for a USB DAC beyond my MSII - the XM5 makes a lot of sense. I am normally wary of 'Bass Boost' on an amp, but from all reports it has been very well implemented on the XM5/XM6.

Let's just say it's my standard disclaimer when offering subjective impressions. 
biggrin.gif

That way, if you say your experience was different, I have an out... 
wink.gif

Cheers!
-HK sends

May 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #341 of 557
Dont sweat it - after realising that the ($140 delivered..) E9 is better than any of the portable amps I have owned, its all diminishing returns from here on. Ah, the humanity :wink:

May 12, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #342 of 557
Just wanted to say I've been using this new toy for a couple days now and It's absolute bliss with my Grado's or Beyers. 

It's got enough features to really let you sculpt your own sound even if you're going into an ipod. 

Provides excellent sound quality when used as a DAC as well!

I'll post some good pics when I get around to taking some. =)

Don't hesitate to pull the trigger in my opinion.

Drives my 32 ohm cans and my 250's both beautifully. (range is 17-600 I believe) 

If you have questions I can try to answer them =D

May 12, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #343 of 557

Quote:
Drives my 32 ohm cans and my 250's both beautifully. (range is 17-600 I believe) 

If you have questions I can try to answer them =D

Excellent - great to get feedback from someone who isnt trying to drive the HiFiMan orthos from a portable amp. As much as I hate to admit it, Jude's video review did get me thinking about the PD amps.

May 12, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #345 of 557
Is the amp section in the XM5/XM6 identical to the XM4 ? I didnt think that was the case. Skylab didnt seem too impressed with the XM4 - happy to hear from others on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back