New Poster need help with PC speaker setup. all input appreciated
Jul 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

danbielasz

New Head-Fier
Hey guy ive been lurking around the headfi forums for a while. my first purchase after reading suggestions on here was a pair of audio technica ath ad700 headphones that i use for gaming and listening to music on my sanza clip. after hearing what i thought was awsome sound quality compared to what i was used to listening to i can appreciate good sound quality.

so ive decided to upgrade my computer speaker setup. i currently have a altec lansing octane 2.1 system setup for my pc and althought it sounds ok i want something better that isnt all bass. so ive decided to search on craigslist for some decent speakers that i plan on hooking up to either a cheap T-amp from amazon, a sony strdh130 reciever, or a sherwood reciever. i would really like something with a headphone/auxilary jack so i can hook up my mp3 player to and use the amp when my pc isnt on to listen to music but it wouldnt break the deal.

as far as speakers go i found a few speakers that i might be interested in and am wondering if anyone with some more experience than me can give me some advice as to which the better route would be to take.

Celestian 3 bookshelfs - $80
JBL 2050 - $50
JBL 2600- $75
Polk Tsi100 -$20 (i work in a electronics store so i can get them very cheap)
BIC America Dv62si -$80
Altec Lansing Model 85 - $80
Klisch KB20 - $40
Boston Acoustic HD8 - $60

most of these speakers will be used except for the klipsch kb20 and the polk tsi100 they would be purchased new. the prices listed are all what i would pay for the pair. i would prefer to use a T-amp with whichever pair i purchase because of how compact it is so it wouldnt take up much realestate on my computer desk but i can find a way to fit a full sized reciever if it will be much better sound quality. Also as far as music i primarily listen to alternative and melodic rock, techno/club, and some classical.

as i said earlier any help or advice would be appreciated.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Wow new Polk Tsi100 for $20 - lucky you 
darthsmile.gif
 Well you can always hit a seperate headphone amp later if u wish and go cheap T-Amp if $$ were tight?

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Well it's not that money is tight I just decided on a whim to get a decent audio setup for my pc. as an update I picked up pair of klipch kb20 for $40. Was that a good choice or should I have gone with the Polk tsi100? Also I'm thinking of a t-amp still but I found a marantz 2220 receiver for $50 would that be a good buy or should I stick with a t-amp?

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 9
That Marantz is a very highly regarded classic amp so if u like how those KB20s sound with it and it is in decent condition all in all a great catch 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Well it's not that money is tight I just decided on a whim to get a decent audio setup for my pc. as an update I picked up pair of klipch kb20 for $40. Was that a good choice or should I have gone with the Polk tsi100? Also I'm thinking of a t-amp still but I found a marantz 2220 receiver for $50 would that be a good buy or should I stick with a t-amp?

Your computer's audio quality will improve if you also add a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) somewhere.
Computers come with very low cost DACs.
A used Xonar DX or D1 sound card ($50)  would have a better DAC then your computer.
DD (DAC Destoryer) is a USB DAC, that sells on eBay for around $60.

Just connect the DAC to the RCA inputs on the Marantz.

If that Marantz is in at least decent working order, should be a good value at $50.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 9
So an update I picked up the marantz and hooked them up to the kbps20's, plugged in my cell to the marantz and played some flac files I had. This ssetup sounds awesome. I'm sure it will sound even better when the speakers are broken in. The guy I picked up the receiver from said he had the pots cleaned out and oiled whatever that means, upgraded the lights to leds and he cleaned the inside thoroughly he said the receiver is pretty much plug in and enjoy. I'm gonna upgrade my sound card next so I can use my pc for music. So since I'm a vintage stereo noob is there anything I should do as far as maintenance on the receiver or is it just like any modern receiver in terms of care.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. I was listening to it last night with a couple friends and we played some music that our band recorded professionally at a studio, it blew their mind how awesome it sounded. They never heard our music like that only in their cars or some crappy pc speakers so it was really cool. They want me to piece a system together for them now lol. But anyways thanks again man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back