New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Oct 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #1,921 of 2,626
Oh goodness... newbie opamp roller here with a question.

Where do I put in my opmaps?

Currently I have...
AD746JN0709, LME49720NA, AD746JN #0730, 6234, another LME49720NA, but on a raised platform and an OPA2111KP.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #1,922 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the OP275 as LR, AD8397's as buffers, and AD8656. Which of those is the culprit for the high pitched whine after I shut off the D1?

I'm using that exact configuration without issues w/ my MylarThree's, except 4841-2 instead of the OPA275 if that helps.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #1,923 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting close to having all my gear sorted now. I finally swapped the default opamps from my D1 with the AD8397 buffers and OPA2111 L/R and the difference between them is remarkable and more akin to my personal preferences.

The soundstage is demonstrably wider but with no less detail and no discernable loss of highs or lows. In fact when I swap opamps I tend to make the first listen with a pair of sacrificial headphones (just in case) so grabbed the old AKG26P from my diy drawer. The opamp pairing above certainly kicked some life back into these old cans, though the bass was a tad overdone which is the cans fault (and why they are relegated to the drawer).

I think I'll be leaving these opamps in for quite a while to see how they bed in and hold off the AD8066 for some time whilst I get used to the sound.

The source for the D1 is an Iriver H120 using the optical out. Since it is for a work setup I'm still trying out different headphones to meet the work criteria. Unfortunately I get so many interruptions it means iem's are generally out of the question, as are most full sized headphones. I need a pair of small closed cans which don't fold up every time you take them off to respond to someone.

I don't doubt that there could be a better pairing for my personal preferences but I'm not over keen on a massive opamp test. So I'd like to just add my thanks to Ron (Hiflight) for moving my D1 up several notches in quality and musical fit for purpose.

I'm off to get one of those mini optical cables to tidy the setup a little.

Thanks to the contributors of this thread and in particular to Hiflight - may your opamp rolling continue to even more dizzy heights.

Steve

I own almost all the opamps that HiFlight and Jamato8 have tried or recommended, and your setup - AD8397 buffers and OPA2111 L/R - is the first and only combination I have bothered to try yet
redface.gif

I'll still have to try the 6241HV LR/6643 buffer "low power tube sound", and then the AD797 with 8397 buffers and jumpered...

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #1,925 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh goodness... newbie opamp roller here with a question.

Where do I put in my opmaps?

Currently I have...
AD746JN0709, LME49720NA, AD746JN #0730, 6234, another LME49720NA, but on a raised platform and an OPA2111KP.

The OPA2111 as LR, 6234 in DAC, LME49720NA as buffers.

(or AD746 as LR but I don't know the diff between 0709 or 0730 version)

See the photos in post @1 - the LR is closest to the side and has an AD823 in it, with the two buffers inboard with NE5222 in them, and the DAC closer to the rear with an AD8616 in it.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #1,926 of 2,626
Oh great... do the hex bolts on the back need to be removed, too?

I'm having a pretty hard time removing the casing.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #1,927 of 2,626
Quote:

Oh great... do the hex bolts on the back need to be removed, too?

I'm having a pretty hard time removing the casing.

No, it is very easy...just remove the small phillips screw on the back and the 4 front hex screws. No need to remove the back hex screws. Until you remove the phillips in the rear, you will be unable to remove the board.

Once the 4 fronts and the rear phillips are out, the board slides out from the front very easily. Be careful you don't let it fall out. Nothing will pop out or come loose. Very easy task.

Make sure you draw a diagram of the opamps that are installed before removing them, as this help in orienting the new ones correctly.

The number one pin on the Browndog adapters is marked with a square solder pad rather than round as the remaining 7 are marked.

The square pad on the L&R and Buffers point toward the center of the amp. The square pad on the DAC points to the front of the amp.

Enjoy!!!

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #1,928 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forget, which opamp combo was the one that has the analog input matching the level of using the DAC?

None of them match up the analog and DAC volume levels. The DAC signal that is input to the amplifier section is a pretty highlevel signal. Mismatch is normal.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #1,929 of 2,626
Due to the many requests I have had regarding the single-channel to dual adapters, I will make available a set that contains a socketed 2-1 adapter plus 2 dual channel jumpered bypass sockets. This will allow the use of many different singles without needing many adapters and permanent soldering. One bypass socket can also be used to bypass the LR if one wants to experiment using a preamp/poweramp configuration.

As this is a service of convenience provided to Head-Fi members and NOT a business or profit-making venture, I will not be providing any single channel opamps. It is simply too expensive to try to provide a selection not knowing what will be used. One can often pick up pairs quite inexpensively via Ebay.

For those who desire further information, please email me at:

HiFlight@hotmail.com

Thanks...

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #1,930 of 2,626
Whooo! I just installed them, and WOW! I DIDN'T KNOW HEADPHONES COULD DO THIS! Thank you for the instructions, HeadphoneAddict, and HiFlight!

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #1,931 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent considerable time this evening going thru my best-sounding single-channel DIP opamps, at least the ones that had performed exceptionally well in my Xin SuperMacro amps.

I also re-installed the AD8397 buffers to provide the most output power for low-impedance phones, although I used my high-impedance HD-650s for the evaluations.

Although the LMH6643 is a very nice buffer, the AD8397 is tops for current output capability. Either will work quite well. If output current is not a consideration, perhaps use of the LM4562 or LME49720 would be satisfactory or simply bypassing the buffers would be another choice. I just wanted the max possible output current to benchmark these opamps.

No consideration was given to battery endurance when using these opamps. They all draw a fairly high quiescent current.

The opamps evaluated, using 2>1 adapters, were:

AD794, AD743, LT1028, OPA627 and OPA637.

The LT1028 was immediately discarded because of consistant startup oscillation, (whistling that has previously been noticed and discussed with some opamp configurations)

The OPA637 just sounded unremarkable. It is a touchy opamp, and doesn't work well with loads that exhibit high values of capacitance or with gains less than 5. Whatever the reason, it just didn't ring the bell!

The AD743 sounded superb, as always, even though it is an opamp most commonly used in sonar and IR applications. It had the sweetest treble of any of the opamps. Nice smooth sound, not punchy but accurate, neutral, and very listenable.

The AD797 had the most punch in the low end and the biggest sound. Soundstage was closer to the listener than the others.

The OPA 627 lived up to its reputation...The bass was very detailed, kick drums really sounded like kick drums. Soundstage was slightly further away than the other opamps. Highs were very nice but not quite the equal of the 743. This opamp sounds its best with complex orchestral music or vocals, and did better than any of the others with pipe organ selections.

These 3 opamps are probably too close in performance for me to call an overall winner, as each excelled in one particular area. I will probably listen to each for a more extended period of time before selecting my own personal favorite.

At this point, however, for the type of music I most enjoy, the OPA627 is probably ahead by a nose!

Addendum:

I retried the above opamps using the LME49720 as buffers. IMO, there is inadequate output current when using this opamp as a buffer to drive inefficient phones to an acceptable level of volume.

I then substituted the LMH6643 for the LME49720. It works well in all respects and requires only about 1/3 the current of the AD8397. I do think it is a little smoother than the 8397, but does not have quite the bass punch. I guess one could call it a little more neutral overall. Again, the choice of buffer really depends on the listeners preferences.

nice one ron.... how do the 3 single opamps compare to those dual opamps config?

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #1,933 of 2,626
Ok, I finally had the chance to switch the opamps on my D1 and all i can say is "WOW", what a big difference in sound quality! Makes me think on why ibasso wouldn't use these opamps right off the bat.

Rolling the opamps is definitely a 'must' on the D1 to unleash its full potential, IMO. Thanks for the great info guys! Now time to enjoy this little gem...

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #1,934 of 2,626
There are so many combinations of opamps to try it would be hard for iBasso to know all or even the "best" combination. There are less opamps available in China, which makes it difficult to explore these combinations as we are doing here. I am glad that the D1 is stable with so many different opamps and that they used sockets. Also, that the D1 responds so well to opamps with notable changes in sound, to me, is exciting and rewarding.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #1,935 of 2,626
Quote:

Whooo! I just installed them, and WOW! I DIDN'T KNOW HEADPHONES COULD DO THIS! Thank you for the instructions, HeadphoneAddict, and HiFlight!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I finally had the chance to switch the opamps on my D1 and all i can say is "WOW", what a big difference in sound quality! Makes me think on why ibasso wouldn't use these opamps right off the bat.

Rolling the opamps is definitely a 'must' on the D1 to unleash its full potential, IMO. Thanks for the great info guys! Now time to enjoy this little gem...

These are the posts that make head-fi great for me. The satisfaction that sharing a little bit of knowledge can increase the listening pleasure at little cost is priceless. Big credit to the likes of HiFlight, Jamato8, HeadphoneAddict , Jude of course and the makers of the database software, the inventor of the web and not forgetting my mother
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back